Search

Hotel and Restaurant Recommentations: Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel and Restaurant Recommentations: Anchorage

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I need a recommendation for a hotel in Anchorage, AK. I'll be traveling with my 75 year-old mother. We will have 1 night after our cruise. We are taking a bus tour up from Seward and arriving about 5:30 pm. Her flight leaves the following day about noon, mine however leaves about midnight. So I'm hopeful for a hotel with at least a luggage check so I can go visit some of the sites around the city or have a good meal and chill.

Actually if you have a restaruant recommenation I'd love that too.

Thanks in advance - Diane
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Did you try booking.com ?

I´m going to Anchorage at August and looking for a room in this website.

see ya.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 05:41 PM

I would suggest NOT staying at the Historic Anchorage Hotel. It's a nice hotel, and centrally located, but it's the latter that is a problem, especially on weekend nights. With pubs and restaurants galore in the area, we felt like the street partying was happening in our room until the wee hours of the morning.

Moose a’la Mode (on K Street, between West 3rd and 4th) is good for breakfast and sandwiches; you can pick up sandwiches and salads for a take away lunch).

We also enjoyed dining at the Glacier Brewhouse (on 5th Avenue, between G and H streets), Orso (sorry can't remember exact location, but not far from the Brewhouse if I recollect), Sack's Cafe (on G Street, between 3rd and 4th West). We wouldn't hesitate to dine at any of these places when we next find ourselves in Anchorage.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I suspect with a name like Moose a'la Mode we may have to try eating there.

Any other hotel recommendations? Or Mid-town vs Down-town?
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would stay downtown; "midtown" can often involve hotels that are a bit isolated and with limited dining options nearby, unless you want to rent a car for a day (which might not be a terrible thing - you could use it to tour around a little, and get to the airport yourself the next day, and it's a handy baggage check.)

Downtown I would recommend the Captain Cook (for a long time the best hotel in town) or the Sheraton, Hilton, or Marriott. The Hilton and Marriott are located quite close to the middle of things, the Cook at the west end of downtown, the Sheraton several blocks to the east of the downtown core.

With no car I'd probably opt for the Hilton of the above.

There are lots of restaurant choices; downtown places like the Glacier Brewhouse or Humpy's are very popular with tourists, Or$o is quite good (basically next door to the Glacier Brewhouse.) You might look at Simon and Seafort's (on L Street a couple of blocks from the Captain Cook) - good seafood, steaks, etc., but also with a view of Cook Inlet, a relatively rare thing in Anchorage.

But give us an idea of food preferences and more help can be forthcoming.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your input. It looks like we will be staying at the Sheraton.

Are there any Alaskan specialities that we should try? Moose burgers or karabu cutlets? I like good seafood and I'm not sure what the cruise ship will have. When I get too exotic Mom will have chicken fingers and call it a meal.