Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bears end July and Kayaking in Valdez (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bears-end-july-and-kayaking-in-valdez-603180/)

Galwaygirl Mar 28th, 2006 11:23 AM

Bears end July and Kayaking in Valdez

Thanks to all those who helped me with my previous post. I've booked my flights and am now trying to sort ou the details and have more questions....
1. My guidebook says August is not great for bear viewing at Brooks Falls. We plan on visiting Katmai from Homer the end July/beg August. What is this time like? we would like to camp there for at least a night - I guess at Brooks Falls. Has anyone any experience of that time of year?
2. We would like to do a 3 day/2 night kayaking trip out of Valdez. There seems to be two options - Shoop glacier or Columbia glacier. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Many thanks

Pat2003 Mar 28th, 2006 12:09 PM

For the end of July I recommend taking a day trip from Homer. Unfortunately you won’t be able to see as many bears at the falls as you see in Katmai National Park and Preserve along rivers and streams. Bears follow salmon and by then moved from the falls to streams in the park. If you can just book two day-trips. We did this several times and every trip is very different.

BayouGal Mar 28th, 2006 04:26 PM

Galwaygirl, there are two equally good and reputable kayak outfitters in Valdez: Anadyr Adventures www.anadyradventures.com and Pangaea Adventures www.alaskasummer.com. Please access their web sites to request brochures and for further information.

We did not do an overnight kayaking trip out of Valdez. I strongly recommend that you contact both tours to get specific details of the trips they offer. We talked to each of them last year and they were both helpful and honest about what they provided. Due to scheduling, we used each outfitter on separate days for Shoup and Columbia kayaking trips. With Shoup, you get much closer to the glacier, but you don't get the huge icebergs that Columbia has around it. However, you can only get to within about three miles of Columbia, and with Columbia receding, there is land between the glacier and the water. Hope this helps! :)

Galwaygirl Mar 29th, 2006 10:23 AM

Thanks to you both. I already heard from Emerad Air who said something similar to you Pat so I think we'll look at a day trip to Katmai.
Bayougirl I'll contact the companies, I wonder though, which did you prefer?

BayouGal Mar 30th, 2006 12:52 PM

I have no preferences . . . the outfitters were basically identical in every way even though we went to a different location with each. You will get a feel for them when you phone, and comparing prices might also be a deciding factor. You might also ask about gear, routes, length of time, meals, etc., to help you choose between the two.

Good luck with your planning!

Fabio Apr 3rd, 2006 02:04 PM

Bears: we went to Katmai Geographic Bay with Baldmountain on 29th August and we found it excellent !! In the day we saw a total of about 20 bears and up to 9 at the same time !! Some of them came very close to us !! Very impressive ! My 10 years old son said it was the best day of his life !
Trips and destinations are different according to the period. As far as I know Emerald air does not go to Brooks Falls as considered too crowded in July and limited to viewing platforms !

I also read good reports on Hallo Bay for bearviewing trips with overnight in Katmai for 2 or more days...

check www.baldmountainair.com

freespirit61 Apr 7th, 2006 06:36 PM

The bears are at the falls when the salmon spawn around July 20 and then retreat back into the wilderness. It may be possible to see them in August but a day trip with an operator would provide you with a better chance. I was in Katmai and stayed at the lodge in September last year and saw about 50 bears.. This is another spawning time.I have also been with Emerald Air for a day trip in August and we saw 10-12 bears. Emerald Air is awesome. They fly to Katmai and look for bears from the plane and when they spot them they land and hike around for viewing. THe guides and owners, Ken and Chris are extremely knowledgeable about the land and the bears.. Enjoy.

BayouGal Jun 12th, 2006 06:42 AM

ttt for ljv