Beantown to the Vineyard in a day? Possible?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:36 AM
Homer

Beantown to the Vineyard in a day? Possible?

Alright, I'm narrowing my options thanks to the help of many kind folk on this forum.

Can I rent a car in Beantown and go the the Vineyard on a day trip? What is the driving time? Are bikes really $35 pp per day? What should I do on a day trip to the Yard?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:59 AM
native

Of course you could rent a car for the day but........I wouldn't do it! The drive from Boston to Woods Hole for the ferry to Martha's Vineyard takes about 90 minutes plus. Then you park and ferry over, about 30 minutes max. Doesn't exactly make for a relaxing day exploring on the Vineyard when you are constantly thinking about the time of the last ferry back to Woods Hole. Then you have to drive back to Boston. Why not spend the night on the Vineyard? I would explore the shops and neighborhoods of Edgartown (no alcohol served anywhere in that town, Blue Laws still in effect) and hop a taxi over to Oak Bluffs. The houses there are really neat as most of them are in the "ginger bread house" style and very colorful. Have to go to Menemsha and see the sunset. Vineyard Haven, one of the ferry stops, is very commerical but full of interesting shops. I would seriously consider staying on the island for a night. Not sure about renting bikes.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:02 AM
xxx3

native, apparently you haven't gotten the word -- we're boycotting Homer's questions until he stops saying "Beantown."

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Cara

I wouldn't do this. You can't drive to Woods Hole, take the Ferry and then taxi to Edgartown or something like that in a day. It is way, way too much. I would stay overnight in Edgartown, take the barge to Chappaquiddick and bike around there. Very worth it. Used to live there...trust me on this. If you want to see the beach and you have a car and are in Boston...take it to Maine..like Ogunquit or Kennebunkport...about an hour drive or so and gorgeous. Make sure, once you get to Oqunquit you take the walk on the cliffs. It is paved and fabulous. Enjoy New England!

Also, if you stay in Boston, you don't need a car in the city. It is small and esy to get around by T or cab.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Mahthah

(Ditto reeantown. DON'T use that epithet -- it's reserved for hokey, fatuous TV chatter-boxes.)

Two further limitations: You MUST have reservations to take a car on the ferry in season, and esp. if you are trying the tight timing you have in mind. And it's expensive to take a car overthere (I think it's more than $50 each way, but I've sort of forgotten.)

You have to count on 2 hrs. to Woods Hole from Boston, more if it's a Fri/Sat/Sun. and there is parking to stow your care there and just be a pedestrian on the ferry (which releases you from needed a reservation -- you can take the next ferry that comes). If you are a cyclist, that would be the way to go -- but it's a big island, so I'd limit your route to the parts you want to see before you go back in the evening.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Homer

Thankyou for your kind wisdom oh mighty friends in the ivory lighthouses of New England. I have always wanted to go to Marthas Vineyard or Nantucket but am afraid of the $$$$ of one nights stays in the summer.
Seems like a bit of a haul but I figured it would be worth it for a quick visit. Maybe I will contemplate Maine for a daytrip?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:34 PM
charles

Homer

You can do it, and I have done it, but its not the most relaxing thing ever. Nor is it as hard as has been made out. You don't need a car to get there - bonanza bus out of SOuth station is good and fast. Nor do you need a car on the island. You won't be able to see many of the things I love about the VIneyard, but you will be able to see the 3 main towns

As for a cheap place to stay, have you tried the Youth Hostel?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:51 AM
native

I agree that staying local to Boston is better. How about Gloucester or Newburyport? This would be a much easier day trip from Boston. Both are waterfront towns and have whale watches. You can roam the streets safely, tons of interesting shops and places to eat. I prefer Newburyport. It seems to be more upscale but Gloucester does have more of that "New England charm" people seem to look for. Good luck with whatever you choose.