Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Beachfront lodging near Tampa (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/beachfront-lodging-near-tampa-534562/)

dlundylaw Jun 6th, 2005 09:19 AM

Beachfront lodging near Tampa

My husband and I are planning a trip to Florida in September and want beachfront lodging near Tampa. Has anyone stayed at the Angelinos Sealodge on Anna Maria? Any other suggestions.

Tandoori_Girl Jun 6th, 2005 12:53 PM

Oh, dear. Anna Maria is really far from Tampa. At least an hour 15 minute drive. Do you care if you are that far from Tampa? Or was that what you had in mind?

I've not stayed there. I've always stayed at houses when I've stayed on Anna Maria. I believe there have been other posts in the past about some beach cottages in Anna Maria that people have liked. Perhaps you could find them by searching the forum for Anna Maria cottages.

If you prefer a more residential beach such as Anna Maria but one closer to Tampa, then I would suggest Passe-a-Grille, Sunset or Sunshine Beach in Treasure Island, or Indian Rocks, Redington, Indian Shores, all in the St. Petersburg area.

kilmer17 Jun 8th, 2005 06:42 AM

Depends on what part of Tampa. If you mean the Airport, then Anna Maria is under an hour. More of an oldtime family beach atmosphere than what you'll get in St Pete.

Wayne Jun 8th, 2005 07:43 AM

"Near Tampa" carries different connotations, but the beach that is closest in driving time and is still an old-fashioned small-town environment with mom-and-pop hotels and no giant condos, is Pass-a-Grille Beach, on the south tip of the barrier island known as St Pete Beach.

Driving from the airport, take I-275 toward St Petersburg, then continue to follow I-275 as it begins to indicate "to Bradenton", then exit where the signs say "682 west - St Pete Beach". Go through the toll gate and just keep on that road until it dead ends at the big pink Don CeSar Hotel. Turn left at the light there and head south into Pass-a-Grille, a charming community that is now a National Historic District.

If you are looking for something on the beach in Pass-a-Grille, there are lots of small charming inns. A couple I know are the Inn on the Beach (www.innonbeach.com) and Sabal Palms Inn (www.sabalpalms.com). There are lots of others, and it really isn't difficult to drive there without a reservation except during peak seasons. Good luck.

josi Jun 8th, 2005 12:50 PM

We have always stayed in Indian Rocks beach. About 45 minutes from the airport. We rent a condo from JC resorts they have one bedroom condos I think. 1 800 421 6663. Great accomodations right on the beach. Stayed at the Hilton once in Redington beach prefer the condo. make sure you go to the Salt Rock Grill for dinner in Indian Rocks. Expensive but so awesome. enjoy

bebalm Jun 9th, 2005 02:13 AM

Our family favorite is Treasure Island. Close enough to Tampa, yet not right in the middle of the congestion. Beautiful beaches and nice "retro" feeling. YOu can get some serious bargains on hotel rooms if you catch it at the right time.