Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Beaches in Southern California - what is the weather like in Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan to spend a few days in LA, with 1 full day in Disneyland. The rest of the time we want to Venice beach and area, also Newport Beach.

We plan to arrive mid-day in Anaheim, check into Newport Beach hotel then tour the area. The following morning we will take off the Disneyland and spend the entire day there. The day after Disney we will drive to Venice Beach/Santa Monica and enjoy the day there. We are leaving on a red-eye flight on this day, I am guessing it will leave me closer to LAS if I am in Venice beach area? Is that true?

Questions...
- Is it possible to stay in Newport Beach then drive to Disneyland in the morning? How long is the drive? Will there be alot of traffic, especially during Christmas?
- How far is the drive from Disney to Venice Beach area, or LAX? Is LAX close to Santa Monica/ Venice Beach?

Thanks!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM
dmlove

It's an easy drive from Newport Beach to Disneyland. 5 or 10 miles.

And yes, Venice Beach/Santa Monica are near LAX.

Your plan is a good one, but understand that while the beach areas will be likely be pleasant for sitting/strolling, it won't be swimming or sunbathing weather unless you're very hardy! The Pacific Ocean is cold even in summer.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:39 AM

The afternoons of Christmas Eve and day may be very congested. Are you planning to be at Disneyland on Christmas Eve or Day? If yes it's VERY crowded. And weather that time of year could be low 80's for the highs or 50's and pouring rain. Check the averages and be prepared.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM

The drive from Newport to Disneyland is closer to 25 miles and normally takes at least about a half hour by freeway, depending on traffic conditions.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I grew up in Los Angeles. Christmas Day was most often "sweater weather".
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Although it is only about 20 miles from Newport Beach to Disneyland, allow an hour to drive, park and take the shuttle from the parking lot to the Disney gate. You can certainly do this.

Do you know that you can check driving times and distances by using one of the websites like maps.yahoo.com or maps.google.com? They are fairly accurate.

Congestion on Christmas Eve is primarily around shopping malls. Christmas Day is one of the easiest driving days of the year.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM
dmlove

I understated the mileage (faulty memory, sorry) but others overstated it. I just checked mapquest and its about 15 miles. In no traffic (which might happen once a year at 3 o'clock in the morning), 20 minutes. Any other time, leave yourself an hour!

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM

dm love - I agree. I live in Southern Orange County - we went to Disney a few Friday nights ago - we have passes - it took us over 2 hours - due to traffic - one hour to get from my house to the the Anaheim and then I kid you not - one hour to get into the parking lot - honestly I have never seen it that bad.

We ended up going out to dinner instead. I did not want to deal with the crowds IN the park...
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
TahitiTams

We used to always go to Disneyland on Christmas Eve because it was so quiet.
Maybe things have changed which I am sure they have.
Where are you staying in Newport?
Weather can be nice but always layer..

Hi Grandma Dawn!

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Dawn, you make a good point. I've noticed a lot of people coming just in the evening, probably to see the fireworks. Not only is there a line to get into the parking lot, there's a line to get into the park, crowds around Main Street, and a lot of congestion getting out of the park. Also because they close Cal Adventure a few hours earlier than Disneyland, everyone on a parkhopper or other pass heads over to DL for the last few hours it's open.

Much better to enter DL park around 3 or 4 pm, or even earlier.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Waving hi to Tams! I have been so busy no time to hang out and post with my Fodorite buddies!

How was Maine?? I want that full trip report!

We leave on Thursday for a long weekend in NYC - looking forward to the downtime with dh. Life has been crazy.

Mlgb - I will NEVER attempt to go again at that time. I have arrived as you suggested at 3-4 and it is always very pleasant.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
TahitiTams

Hi Dawn..
I did a brief TR and Maine/Boston/Cape Cod are gorgeous.
Have a blast in NYC!

I have heard that the lines are so out of control to Disneyland and after 3pm is so much better.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:06 PM

dmlove,
None of us know exactly where in Newport Beach the poster is staying, so I think 20 miles is a good average. My mapquest coming from PCH in Newport showed 22.5 miles and I rounded it off to 25. AT LEAST a half hour drive to the park, estimating post rush-hour AM traffic.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.

We booked the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach hotel which is on Jamboree Road. According to mapquest, it's about 20 miles from Disney and an estimate of 30 minutes. The hotel lady told me 12 miles. I am planning to visit Disney on Sat Dec 29th.

What do you think the traffic will be like in the morning? I wasn't aware that I have to take a shuttle from the parking lot, and a very long line-up getting into the parking. If that's the case, should i take a taxi to Disney instead?

The hotels that is of walking distance to Disney is either full or not what we want with the price we want to pay. Since we have a rental car, we decided to stay a bit further. We booked it through priceline so we can't make changes now.

As for traffic, what do you think the traffic will be like driving from Anaheim to Santa Monica on Sun Dec 30?

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM

The parking structure is run very efficiently. I can't think a taxi is a good use of funds. One thing you should do is buy your tickets ahead of time (I think they have some you can print out at home?) Then at least you won't have to wait in the ticket purchase line.

Saturdays are very busy at Disneyland. It will be very very crowded that day, but if that is the only day you can go, I guess that's what you'll have to do. At least it isn't New Years Eve. Do try to get to the park as soon as it is open, you can even get there extra early and have breakfast in Downtown Disney. I would highly recommend that you book lunch at Blue Bayou, if possible, it will let you rest a bit from the crazy crowds. The portions are big so although it might look expensive you can easily share the main course. In the middle of the day you also might want to go to the Grand California Hotel and just relax a bit in the lobby.

Sunday will be no problem at all.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Postscript to my post: Unless it rains! We haven't had much practice driving in the rain and were never very good at it to start with.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

We are from Toronto and have experience driving in LA before (briefly). I know what people mean when they say traffic is chaotic in LA. However, the crazy traffic gets alot better in our city when it gets to holidays, is it the same in LA? Should I still expect morning jams on Thursday Dec 28 - Sat Dec 30?

Thx mlgb, I was thinking of getting to Disney way earlier ... wasn't sure where I could go though. Do you mean I can get into the park, or Disney downtown before the park opens? I think Disneyland opens at 10 am that day.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:51 AM

You can park early, and Downtown Disney would be open before the park does. I checked the calendar for the 29th, Disneyland opens at 8am and Cal Adventure at 10 am. There is also a decent casual restaurant (Whitewater Snacks) in the Grand Californian hotel that would be open (its near the hotel entrance to California Adventure). I recommend a walk thru the lobby of that hotel if you have time.

Yes traffic will be much lighter during the week between Christmas and NY, but not everywhere, eg it may be busy leading up Harbor Blvd. into the amusement park!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM

If you are going to Cal Adventure, for lunch reservations I recommend Wine Country Trattoria.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I think I will to Disneyland for the 1-day. I went on the Disneyland website briefly after reading your posting, it looks like the Disney Downtown has a separate parking than Disneyland itself, right? There is this "feature Minnie buffet breakfast" restaurant, would you recommend? Some restaurants don't indicate their business hours. I don't want something too pricy, yet a bigger breakfast might just keep me through the day longer. (I am getting nervous about the crowd and line-up, but that's the only day I have!)A really tedious question - do they (Disney) really not allow you to bring ANYTHING in, even energy bar or a bottle of water?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -