Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Beaches in San Diego (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/beaches-in-san-diego-207067/)

Pamela Nov 14th, 2001 08:44 AM

Beaches in San Diego

I am spending a week in early January in San Diego with my 6 year old twin boys. Which beach would be the nicest for small kids at this time of year? Mission Beach, Coronado, or La Jolla? I am assuming it will be too cold to swim this time of year, so am looking for wide sandy beaches with waves to splash in.<BR><BR>Many thanks,<BR>Pamela<BR><BR>(p.s. I thought I posted yesterday seeking advice for beach hotels, but can't find my post....)

Barbara Nov 14th, 2001 09:14 AM

Pamela, Mission Beach and Coronado are both wide and sandy. In La Jolla, go to the Shores, which is also wide and sandy. Avoid La Jolla Cove, the water gets deep quickly, lots of rocks, not the best place for small kids, but fun for older kids.

xxx Nov 14th, 2001 10:45 AM

mission is good although there is a little amusement park there too so if you don't want them bugging you for rides, you might want to avoid.<BR>coronado is nice plus there is an airbase close by so the boys might enjoy seeing the planes.<BR>pacific beach (just down from mission beach) has a big pier they might enjoy walking on.<BR>go to la jolla cove area for a walk. they get some good tide pools when the tides out and there is an area that seals have taken over which the kids would enjoy seeing (smelly though!)<BR>p.s. i hear lago land which is just north of san diego is great for that age

Jack May 22nd, 2002 07:08 PM

If you go to La Jolla, you MUST try my favorite beach in the area, "Marine Street Beach", which is at the end of Marine Street (obviously). You can always find parking spots within one block, whereas other beaches (such as Mission Beach) have platoons of roving vehicles trying to find parking spaces and you may have to walk one mile or longer. If you are going to be in the south, do NOT go to Silver Strand Beach, since (1) it costs money to enter, and (2) it is quite dirty (lots of broken glass and cigarette butts in the sand); go further south to Imperial Beach, which has lots of parking space, lots of lifeguards, and is a broad beach that is shallow for a long way out. I go to San Diego twice each year and prefer Imperial Beach.

Lisa May 22nd, 2002 07:23 PM

Jack- You might want to look at the dates when you respond to a post. Pam went to San Diego last January. You have some good tips, so it would be better to post it as a new item rather than pull up such an old one.

Sandy May 22nd, 2002 09:47 PM

Pamela,<BR>Since the weather can be anywhere from 55 degrees and rainy to 80 degrees and cloudless blue skies in January, a great beach to try is Del Mar. Not only do they have a beautiful clean stretch of sandy beach, but there is also a great playground that is in the process of getting all new play equipment called Powerhouse Park that overlooks the ocean. (The new equipment should be in by end of June). My playgroup goes there quite often throughout the year. <BR><BR>Also, an FYI about Imperial Beach, it is closed frequently due to sewage spills from Tijuana. IMO there are tons of nicer beaches in San Diego.

sd May 23rd, 2002 10:36 AM

Pamela<BR>You'll find that the water is too cold to even splash in. Although my neices and nephews did for a fiew minutes - but they came from NY and they thought the air temp was warm. The water temp will be from 52-55 F. And if it's not sunny you'll definitely not want to be there. Try it at home in a bathtub it actually hurts your feet and numbs them after a while. Mission Bay Park has the best public playground for small kids (Next to the Hilton Hotel). Coronado is the widest beach and Mission beach is the skinniest beach. Keep in mind also that they don't clear the seaweed anymore so there may be piles of kelp and the associated kelp flies around. Low tide is the best for playing around so keep an eye out on the tide tables if you decide to actually do this.

x May 23rd, 2002 10:43 AM

People, people she's already been to SD. This post was for JANUARY!!!!

Janet May 23rd, 2002 06:19 PM

I have 2 grandchildren and live in Mission Beach. I would stay in Pacific Beach at the Catamaran Hotel. It has a great pool, right on the bay, one block from ocean and boardwalk, lots of restaurants in the hotel and close by.<BR>Bike and skate rentals, the kids will love it and so will you.