Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Beach Wedding Attire (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/beach-wedding-attire-472888/)

elope2kauai Sep 8th, 2004 10:25 AM

Beach Wedding Attire

My finance and I are getting married later this year at the Hyatt in Kauai and he really wants to wear a nice "casual" light brown suit, or something similar. Does anyone have a good internet site for which we can look at different fashions and styles so we can coordinate our outfits together?

Jayne11159 Sep 8th, 2004 10:33 AM

Congratulations!

I suggest starting with theknot.com. It's a great source for a lot of information including wardrobe.

I am a independent floral contractor in Florida and have done many weddings on the beach. IMO, if it's directly on the beach, he should wear a casual suit, perhaps in a linen or possibly a (Cuban) guayaeberas (shirt) in a silk with dress slacks. If it's indoors, you can go as casual or formal as you wish.

GoTravel Sep 8th, 2004 10:34 AM

Agree with the linen suit.

Diana Sep 8th, 2004 10:45 AM

Just came back from Jamaica, and witnessed a SLEW of beach weddings.

Saw everything from a white bikini with a full train attached to a formal wedding gown.

The ones I saw that I liked the best were a simple ivory or white sheath and a short veil for her, and a pair of linen pants in white or a beige with the legs rolled up around the calves paired with a white or ivory linen shirt for him. No shoes for anyone attending or participating.

I agree with a linen suit if the wedding is after 3:00, otherwise I would go with some permutation of the above - but that's just my opinion.

If the wedding is ON THE BEACH IN THE SAND, that will make a BIG difference what you should select. If it's just on the grounds, but not on the sand, you should go dressier.

elope2kauai Sep 9th, 2004 08:28 AM

We're actually getting married at Hyatt's garden gazebo, which is outdoors, but not very near the beach. We've also tried researching the knot for attire ideas but we're looking for other helpful internet sites. Thanks for the replies!

michtan Sep 9th, 2004 01:36 PM

Try ultimatewedding.com. Click on Boards at the top, scroll down to Destination & Long Distance Weddings. Several people have asked about beach wedding. You might need to register to view the boards.

janeq Sep 10th, 2004 06:08 PM

Try the website for Hawaii Bride + Groom Magazine: www.hawaiibride.com
I ordered a copy of the magazine before our wedding to get ideas for attire. The magazine has lots of pics, and I believe their website has some pics as well.
FYI: We got married outside at 3:30pm, my husband wore a nice ivory colored shirt and pants of a lightweight material with a greem maile lei. I talked him out of wearing a suit because I thought it would be too hot (we were married in July). I wore an ivory wedding dress, with spaghetti straps-- and flip flops-- because again with the heat I did not want to deal with pantyhose.
Good Luck!

Wilikinia Sep 14th, 2004 01:45 PM

We got married at the Hyatt Regency Kauai in September 2002. I wore a short white wedding dress(kind of a like a white satin cocktail dress with crystals) and my husband wore Tommy Bahama pants, Tommy Bahama short sleeved hawaiian shirt and sandals. It was perfect. It's too hot in Hawaii to get married outside in a suite and ball gown! Best of luck! Make sure you have a good wedding coordinator at the hotel, we had some problems.

Wilikinia Sep 14th, 2004 01:49 PM

also look for a magazine called "Pacific Rim Weddings" - great photos and ideas for Hawaiian weddings.
The website is www.pacificweddings.com.