beach rental near charleston - for a couple

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beach rental near charleston - for a couple

Hello,
We're a laidback, young-ish UK couple looking to vacation for two weeks in South Carolina in July/August. We're looking for a small beach rental near Charleston - ideally Folly Island or the Isle of Palms, but we're open to suggestions. We'd prefer a private home with a pool (the pool is optional though) but would prefer to avoid condominiums. We're just looking to hang out in an authentic neighbourhood and mix with the locals. It's really hard to find that cosy factor as most private homes are rented out to families or groups. If you know of anything or can recommend some good websites, we'd be really grateful.
Many thanks, Nicola
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:19 AM

You can rent homes on Folly from Fred Holland REalty as well as a few others. I'll be doing that this year as well. Folly has a little bigger selection of smaller/more affordable homes to rent, and more of a "cozy" atmosphere.

Isle of Palms has homes to rent as well, most are larger and newer. IOP has a bit more of a resort feel, at least to me. Pools will be MUCH more common on IOP, however. Come on, why would you want a pool when the Atlantic is right there? I'll never understand that. You can get in a pool anywhere else in the world. Anyway, Island Realty and Dunes Properties have rentals on IOP. A private home with pool close to the beach will probably run you $4000-$7000 per week that time of year.

All the realtors I mentioned have websites. Have Fun!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Also try www.vrbo.com.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback so far. I'll get looking into those leads.

PS fair point about the pool! I guess I'm a Spielberg-generation casualty. I can't go too far out into the ocean without visions of fins surfacing in the water.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Actually you will get to see some fins surface on either of the islands in question. Fortunately, they will be porpoise fins. (most likely) It's really fun to watch them in the early morning and evening.

Think of it this way: More people win a lottery over $100 million every year than get eaten by sharks. So the odds are in your favor! ;-)
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:16 AM
GoTravel

Sharks feed in the morning and at dusk. Don't swim near piers and if you see a school of fish, get out of the water. Something bigger with teeth will always be chasing a school of fish.

If you want a neighborhood, please realize that will be off the beach. Few locals can put up with transient neighbors 24-7.

Agree with the suggestion of VRBO.com. Also, several blocks off the beach will result in more locals than oceanfront.

Agree with Folly Beach and James Island.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:50 AM

we stayed at the IOP last year and rented through Island Realty. The house was 3br/2ba and we walked out of our first floor room down the back deck, walkway and straight into the ocean. I would do that again with no problem. It was expensive, but so worth it. We got up with the ocean out our back door and drank coffee on the deck and walked to the beach - it was perfect. Our condo - which was only a 3 story building - with 6 condos I believe, was not really a condo in the traditinal sense. It was near the highway that took us straight in - 20 minute drive - to Charleston - and was easy and really nice. If you want more info I will supply it. Good luck.