Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Beach lodging for 1 night on drive home to Ohio from Orlando
Notices

Beach lodging for 1 night on drive home to Ohio from Orlando

Jul 18th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Beach lodging for 1 night on drive home to Ohio from Orlando

Hello,

I am driving with my college aged kids and 2 of their friends to Orlando in August. We are planning to make the trip down with a straight through drive, but I would like to break up the drive back with an overnight stop at a beach. I would like to get in a good 5-6 hours north drive on our 1st day, so I am looking for a beach in the Charleston, SC area. However, I am flexible and could stay anywhere within about 7 hrs of Orlando.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a 1 night stay? I would prefer budget pricing and beach location.

Thanks so much!

Karen
Jul 18th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Budget pricing for one night in August is just about going to have to be a motel near a beach. I don't think the Charleston beaches will work for that. By going to a beach you are also adding some miles to your trip.
I guess you are from LIma, which makes FL a straight shot down 75, etc.
Do you just want to stay the night, or spend some time one day or the other on the beach? Not quite gettting the picture.
Jul 18th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Actually, I CAN give you the place--oceanfront. The Litchfield Inn in Pawley's Island/Litchfield, SC. Don't tarry in making a reservation.
Otherwise you might find a night in Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort's hotel.
Jul 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM

From Litchfield to Lima (assuming I'm right), it is about a 15 hour drive (pretty straight through, sticking to it). I'm originally from Troy so travel the route a good bit.
Jul 18th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gretchen! The girls I'm traveling with want to spend a little time at a beach while we're in that part of the country. We won't spend very much time there. And, yes, I'm from Lima. I appreciate your suggestion, and will be looking into it!

Karen
Jul 19th, 2012, 05:42 AM

When we drove from Akron to Anna Maria Island, Florida this spring we stopped and spent the night in Pooler, Georgia which is outside of Savannah. Pooler is 30 minutes from Hilton Head or Tybee Island,both beach locations.

It was probably a little longer than we wanted to drive--I think it took us 11-12 hours to get there, but the drive is beautiful.
Jul 19th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Then definitely take a look at Litchfield. You can google for Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort. The Inn is separate, but right ON the water, eith a pool also. It's been renovated recently. It isn't "plush" but you can't beat the location.
Aug 10th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the Litchfield recommendation! The location was great, and the access to the beach was top notch! It worked out well for us.
Aug 11th, 2012, 04:50 AM

Glad it worked. We might have been there at the same time!!

Search this Thread