Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Beach Cove, Crown Reef, Sand Dunes or Sea Mist?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 10:22 AM
rlt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help with lodging... Looking for oceanfront with multiple pools,lazy river and activities/babysitting for toddler. Want it to be family oriented, clean and not noisy at night. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM
GoTravel

Beach Cove by a mile.

Sand Dunes is crummy and Crown Reef and Sea Mist are in a very crowded area right in the middle of Myrtle Beach.

(had freinds that stayed at all four during bike week)

Old May 28th, 2004, 01:31 PM
rlt
Original Poster

GoTravel: My top two are Beach Cove and Crown Reef. We won't be going during bike week or any holiday, so wondering if Crown Reef would be quieter other times? I don't mind noisy during the day, just don't want it too noisy at night.
What's crummy about the Sand Dunes? They seem to offer everything we're looking for when it comes to amenities..??
Any more detailed advice would be great!
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:42 AM
GoTravel

Beach Cove is in a much more desirable area. The beach isn't as crowded as the beach is at the Crown Reef. The area that the Crown Reef is located at is IMO the least desirable.

The Beach Cove is in a half resort half residential area and the beaches aren't as crowded. It is also very close to Barefoot Landing and Colonial Mall.

Beach Cove by a mile. Ask for one of the new rooms.

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:50 AM

What is weathr like at Myrtle beach in early October? Can One swim in the ocean?
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 09:58 AM

We stayed at the Beach cove and loved it. I can't speak for the other properties. Oct? I think it will be pretty cool for the ocean. If the hotel price is less compared to the summer rates I would say for sure the water will be chilly. If you golf green fees should be up then as well.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:33 AM

jmoulin,

The water is definitely swimmable in early October (unless we happen to have an uncharacteristically cool Summer). September is just about as hot as August here, and the ocean temp will stay warm throughout October.

Also, October is wonderful here--possibly the best month of the year.

rlt,

if you're still out there, I just wanted to add some specifics as to location. Beach Cove is in the Windy Hill section of North Myrtle Beach. Sand Dunes is in the northern section of Myrtle Beach. Sea Mist is the closest to the heart of Myrtle Beach, a few miles south of the Pavillion. And Crown Reef is the farthest south, at the southernmost tip of Myrtle Beach. The beaches you are considering, collectively called the Grand Strand, span some 20 miles from end to end.

I haven't stayed at any of these hotels. But I would probably agree generally with GoTravel's comments that the areas north are a little better. However, the fact that GoTravel's friends stayed during one of the two Bike Weeks in May, IMHO, makes their exeprience somewhat execptional. As a local, I can tell you there is no comparison between MB during the Bike Weeks and MB the other 50 weeks of the year.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:00 AM

Hope I'm not too late in posting a reply Our family stayed at the Crown Reef in June of 01 and it was great! We liked it because of the beach location and that the rooms were all oceanfront and the staff was very helpful. At the time it was the last hotel south on the strand and there was a pier that we walked along the beach to every night for ice cream. Being Northerners from Michigan, we had a blast watching the locals fish a few caught sharks and there were people who would come to check their crab nets/traps. We had a laid back good time at the Crown Reef enjoying drinks and hotdogs poolside and floating in the lazy river. There were activities throughout the day that our 7 year old enjoyed, shark tooth hunting, t-shirt fun classes and various other well supervised activities. Try out the virtual tour/view on the Crown Reef website. Enjoy and have a great trip!