Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Beach Blanket Babylon - Is it for brits or just natives (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/beach-blanket-babylon-is-it-for-brits-or-just-natives-699304/)

planning_ahead Apr 23rd, 2007 09:11 AM

Beach Blanket Babylon - Is it for brits or just natives

Please advise whether Beach Blanket babylon is a must see given 5 days and nights and nights in San Fran. Will we Brits understand/appreciate it too or is it more geared to americans. I see it is a long running musical show and considered an institution. We have 'The mousetrap' in London which is long running and an instutution but IMHO there are better/funnier/more upto date things to see.
Also if considered worthwhile how far in advance to get tickets?

NeoPatrick Apr 23rd, 2007 10:12 AM

If you have any appreciation or memory of pop music of the 60s and 70s, you will love it. No, you don't need to be American. It's a wild musical spoof about Snow White going around the world in search of love. The music is bits and pieces of standard music with twisted words or puns. When she gets to Japan they sing "if you knew sushi, like I knew sushi". When someone says "which Doctor" they go off on a tangent with an African WITCH doctor and the 50's song "I told the witchdoctor I was in love with you". When they get to Paris (GAY Paree) there is a flambouyant Louis-like poodle with a chorus of Gay Poodles. s

Meanwhile there are outrageous hats and costumes, and it is just a crazy amount of fun (although a few drinks first will make it even more enjoyable.

There are some American political impersonations. Look at their website, click pictures from the current edition and see if it looks like something you'd appreciate:

www.beachblanketbabylon.com

JJ5 Apr 23rd, 2007 10:37 AM

Oh, you definitely do not have to be American. Neither to enjoy the music or the costumes at all! Go if at all possible.

Davethecat65 Apr 23rd, 2007 10:38 AM

I've seen it five times over the years (first time when I was in my 20s) and enjoyed it every time. I have seen it with both my wife (she's 50 something, like me and we saw it 2 years ago) and my mother (in her 70s when she saw it). Both thought it was a hoot, as has everyone else who I know has seen it. I think it's pretty universally appealing to non-fundamentalist Engligh speakers.

I'd recommned getting tickets ahead of time, as soon as you make up your mind that you want to see it.

By the way, I saw the Mousetrap in London in 1978 and agree that there are funnier shows out there. But is was worthwhile to see a show which is an institution.

Now I just hope you don't feel let down and that you enjoy our little corner of the world.

planning_ahead Apr 23rd, 2007 12:24 PM

thanks for the feedback. Looks like it will be on the itinerary unless something even better comes along.

NeoPatrick Apr 23rd, 2007 02:24 PM

Wow. If something better than Beach Blanket Babylon comes along, be sure to let us know. That might be worth taking a plane to SF from Florida -- whatever it might me. Entertainment doesn't get much better than BBB in my book.

Grassshopper Apr 23rd, 2007 03:45 PM

I personally prefer Teatro Zinzanni. It's more expensive, as it includes dinner but it's a really fun evening. www.teatrozinzanni.com

jayne1973 Apr 23rd, 2007 03:47 PM

The only suggestion I have is to get tickets at the tables, which are on the floor instead of in the balcony. Some people say it doesn't make a difference, but I really regretted not being down there and immersed in the show.

SAB Apr 23rd, 2007 03:54 PM

Did you know that Prince Charles loved BBB so much that when the Queen came to SF she went to see the show. Rumor has it she, smiled. As a Brit you know that equals a belly laugh for us commoners.

janisj Apr 23rd, 2007 04:38 PM

It is in the same sort of vein as a British Panto - only waaaaaaaay over the top and even more hillarious. You will love it. And do book as soon as your dates are firm . . . .