Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   BBQ in Durham, NC on a Sunday (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bbq-in-durham-nc-on-a-sunday-704338/)

nyvisitor May 11th, 2007 09:51 AM

BBQ in Durham, NC on a Sunday

A place favored by this board, Bullocks, is not open on Sunday, the only day we will be in the area. Darn! Is there another place that is almost as good?

jent103 May 11th, 2007 10:14 AM

The Q Shack is pretty good (theqshackoriginal.com). It's on University and is open 12-8 on Sundays.

nyvisitor May 11th, 2007 12:21 PM

Thank you! I like the Q Shack's motto: "BBQ Tender as a Mother's Love"
Any other suggestions in Durham or nearby?

kgh8m May 11th, 2007 02:03 PM

Everyone always raves about Allen & Sons - just a little north of Chapel Hill.
http://triangle.citysearch.com/profi..._restaurant-nc

jent103 May 11th, 2007 08:53 PM

Oh, right, I forgot about Allen & Sons! It's harder to find than the Q Shack, and if you're only going to be in Durham it's kind of out of the way. But it's good if you like eastern NC barbecue. The Q Shack tries to please everyone - different sauces, beef brisket and pulled pork, etc. Allen & Sons is more strictly NC barbecue (spicy, vinegar-based sauce). Of the two I'd probably pick the Q Shack, just because I'm from Tennessee and prefer a tomato-based sauce. But if you're looking for a local, traditional place, Allen & Sons definitely fits the bill.

elsiemoo May 12th, 2007 05:44 AM

Travel a little further to Allen & Sons. It's real North Carolina BBQ, and the other food they serve is fabulous as well! I'm drooking at the thought ... :p

elsiemoo May 12th, 2007 05:45 AM

Has anyone else ever "drooked?" That's what the thought of good BBQ will do to you ... :-)

HKP May 12th, 2007 11:15 AM

WARNING: Yahoo maps, and some others, aren't accurate about where it is -- (have it on the wrong side of I-40).

From Durham, you'd probably want to take Erwin Road west to the light with Whitfield Rd.; turn right on Whitfield and go to the very end, which is at NC 86 (aka MLK Blvd. or Old Airport). For Allen & Sons, turn right toward Hillsborough and continue approx. 1 mile, looking for it tucked back on your left, at intersection with Millhouse. If you get to the RR tracks on NC 86, you've gone too far. This is a cement-shack type place with rustic tables, etc., and limited but authentic menu -- lots of starch and fat but gooo-oood.

An alternative favored by many locals is The Barbecue Joint, not very far from the same intersection of Whitfield and NC 86. The barbecue there is authentic and delicious, but there are some added, slightly eclectic offerings, esp. re: vegetables and sides, and alternatives like "redneck Reuben sandwich" or crab cakes, at the chef's whim. To get there, you'd turn left from Whitfield to go south toward Chapel Hill. In about 2-3 lights you get to Weaver Dairy Rd. (you can turn left in 2 lanes) -- turn left and go about 1 1/2 miles to small strip mall on your left -- it's a diner-type place.

Total travel time from, say, Duke Univ/med. ctr., is about 20-25 min.

ncgrrl May 12th, 2007 11:52 AM

You might also look into Hog Heaven on Guess Rd. I haven't been there, but I know of people who like the place.

Another BBQ place in CH is Jim's Famous BBQ. Take 15-501 into CH, take the Franklin St. exit turn left onto Elliott, it's on the left. If you miss the Franklin St. exit, stay on 15-501 and turn right onto Elliott, the restaurant is on the right.

HKP May 12th, 2007 12:23 PM

Jim's Famous BBQ is a reincarnation of one of the Red, Hot, and Blue chain places -- he had a falling out with the franchise managers about ingrediants and supplies and severed connections. The style, however, is still primarily "Nashville" dry BBQ style, not so much NC style.

nyvisitor May 13th, 2007 03:48 PM

Boy, thanks for all the great suggestions! I've looked online, and unfortunately most places are closed on Sunday; however, The Q Shack is open. It may not be the absolutely best BBQ, but it looks like our only option. We are getting into the area around 12 and need to be at the airport by 2:30, so it's pretty convenient, too. If you have menu items you'd recommend, that would be great.

ncgrrl May 17th, 2007 11:23 AM

I didn't know Jim's was Nashville bbq and not NC bbq. I learned something new today.

nyvisitor hope the trip is/was good.

Subway_Scoundrel May 17th, 2007 02:33 PM

I think Q shack, which I like, is overly salted wanna-be fast food chain. I would suggests Bullocks for the real thing and experience or Danny's. (Of course, Bullocks is not opened) I would look on the web for location of Danny's and the other suggested.

I do like Q-Shack but I don't see it as the real real real thing. JMHO