Bayfield WI Lodging - Any Favorites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I just decided at the last minute to meet this Saturday for 2 days, 1 night in Bayfield, WI (or someplace very close to Bayfield since we want to spend a little time in the town itself).

Our budget is less than $100 total for one night's lodging.....we don't need fancy or quaint.....our main concern is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Does anyone out there have a suggestion? And if you have a restaurant suggestion that would also be appreciated! Thanks much!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM

Popular time of the year -- but you might want to try the Bayfield Chamber site to start:

http://bayfield.org/

Where to stay.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ronko.....we ended up NOT staying, just visiting, eating and shopping the art fair. We should have scoped out lodging while we were there (for future reference)....but....we didn't. So I'll then have to use your Chamber suggestion. Btw, for anyone else researching Bayfield, Maggies and the Wild Rice restaurants were awesome. thx, Colette
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:33 AM

Don't know if you made it over to Madeline Island - you should -- on the island their are places to stay and eat -- The Pub - Lotta's(fantastic) - Bell Street - etc. also you might consider coming back for AppleFest the first weekend in October!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM

Colette,

I've stayed at a few places in Bayfield but haven't found that "perfect" spot yet. We've stayed at Gruenke's which is a convenient location but accommadations were just so so. Last time we stayed at the Seagull Bay Motel - location was okay, nice view but not impressed with the motel itself. The best place we've stayed at so far is the Thimbleberry Inn B & B but it's a little ways out from Bayfield. Great views/wonderful breakfasts! We've tried to get reservations at the Bayfield Inn which is right down town but haven't had any luck on the weekends we wanted - same goes for the Winfield Inn. This year we are going for Applefest weekend and we are staying at the Apostle View Inn. I usually review my lodgings on tripadvisor if you're interested in checking there. PamT
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Since it won't be long until it's leaf peeping time/Applefest I thought I'd do a follow-up on the Apostle View Inn. This hotel is part of the Winfield Inn "group" of lodgings. The Apostle View is a couple of miles outside of Bayfield itself and though the view is nice the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. Thin towels, rooms need some tender loving care and darkening curtains since the yard light is so bright outside. Believe me if the light bothers you you'll be putting the bedspread up over the window like we did. If you go over Applefest the hotels all require at least 2 nights stay so if you don't particularly like your accommodations your kinda stuck.

We've decided to forgo the Apple Fest this year and made our annual trip to Bayfield this summer instead but did not stay overnight. Also, we ate breakfast at Gruenke's this year and once again were disappointed. We won't go back - terrible service, mediocre food and the place could use a decent cleaning IMHO.

On a brighter note we did include Duluth and the northshore in our trip this summer and LOVED the Bluefin Bay Resort in Lutsen. We'd love to go back and stay longer than 1 night - what a view!