Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bay Area to Fort Bragg - Best Route? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bay-area-to-fort-bragg-best-route-1699727/)

pamh Aug 21st, 2021 10:01 AM

Bay Area to Fort Bragg - Best Route?

Hello,

We're heading to Fort Bragg from Silicon Valley this Friday - mid-afternoon (couldn't be helped - trip mate's flight arrives then). Looking at the routes via Google Maps and AAA's TripTik, the normal suggestions are Highway 101 to Highway 20, then west to Fort Bragg. The route looks pretty curvy to me! Would it be a more comfortable drive to take 128 from Highway 101 to Mendocino and then north to Fort Bragg? I've taken this route to Mendocino before, but it was many years ago. I realize it will take more time but is it an easier trip for someone who suffers occasional motion sickness?

Thanks for your help!
Pam

janisj Aug 21st, 2021 10:31 AM

Actually I'm pretty sure 128 would take less time. Probably at least half an hour less - and its definitely less winding for most of the way. It does get twisty turny between Navarro and Albion. But that's for a much shorter distance than the twisty turny bits on hwy 20. I usually take 20 but that's because I'm coming from the Central Valley and around the north end of Clear Lake. Plus I have a roadster and LOVE the twists and turns :)

If I lived south along 101 I'd probably always take 128.

traveler318 Aug 21st, 2021 11:00 AM

Yes, I believe 128 is the way most people go to Mendocino area from the Bay Area. I think it's the more interesting route, going through Boonville, wine country, Philo, Henry woods, etc.

Christina Aug 21st, 2021 12:44 PM

I drove there from Healdsburg and did route 128, also, to Mendocino. Now partly that was because I wanted to check out Mendocino before arriving in Ft Bragg. I was driving alone and definitely do not like scary mountain roads at all, and don't remember any really scary parts. I don't suffer from motion sickness from driving, though, but if it were that bad, it would be scary (to me).

Google maps has those two routes as the exact same time right now, within minutes, so I wouldn't even think about the time difference. At least from Healdsburg.

thursdaysd Aug 21st, 2021 02:27 PM

To me Fort Bragg is a huge military base in North Carolina. When I saw the title I thought this was going to be cross country trip...

janisj Aug 21st, 2021 03:21 PM

:)

pamh Aug 21st, 2021 03:58 PM

Thanks, all - Highway 128 it is!

pamh Aug 21st, 2021 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd (Post 17275815)
To me Fort Bragg is a huge military base in North Carolina. When I saw the title I thought this was going to be cross country trip...

Sorry about that - I posted in the California forum, but I could have been asking about a route cross country from California!

StuDudley Aug 21st, 2021 04:13 PM

Friday is "getaway day" in the Bay Area. How had you planned to get from Silicon Valley to the GG Bridge? Most trip planners suggest 280 to 19th Ave. I hate driving on 19th Ave. Currently, there is a major construction project on 19th Ave, and it's best to avoid it..

Even if there were no constuction delays on 19th, I instead take Brotherhood Way off 280, to Lake Merced Blvd, to Sunset Ave, to where it dead ends in GG Park at Martin Luther King, then right on MLK, then left at stop light to Cross Over Drive through the park (stay in the right hand lane on Cross Over), and then follow the traffic over the bridge.

Stu Dudley

pamh Aug 22nd, 2021 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by StuDudley (Post 17275881)
Friday is "getaway day" in the Bay Area. How had you planned to get from Silicon Valley to the GG Bridge? Most trip planners suggest 280 to 19th Ave. I hate driving on 19th Ave. Currently, there is a major construction project on 19th Ave, and it's best to avoid it..

Even if there were no constuction delays on 19th, I instead take Brotherhood Way off 280, to Lake Merced Blvd, to Sunset Ave, to where it dead ends in GG Park at Martin Luther King, then right on MLK, then left at stop light to Cross Over Drive through the park (stay in the right hand lane on Cross Over), and then follow the traffic over the bridge.

Stu Dudley

Yes, it's my least favorite day and time to get across the GG but my trip-mate couldn't arrive any sooner.

Great minds think alike! I've often taken Brotherhood Way off 280 to Sunset - trying several different paths afterwards - sometimes even working my way up to Lincoln Avenue (not quick, but more peaceful than stop and go traffic). To add to the traffic, the Great Highway has re-opened on weekdays but closes on Fridays at noon - dispersing more traffic into the mix.

Thanks for your help!

Pam

fmpden Aug 22nd, 2021 09:06 AM

Since I took basic at Ft Bragg in the summer of '67, that was the only Ft. Bragg that I was aware of so I was expecting a multi-day drive cross country.

pamh Aug 23rd, 2021 04:25 PM

Thank you for your service! I have never been to North Carolina, nor have I driven cross country. I'd like to do both some time!