Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Baseball trip to Detroit, MI Tiger Stadium (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/baseball-trip-to-detroit-mi-tiger-stadium-51677/)

Brian Aug 25th, 1999 09:56 AM

Baseball trip to Detroit, MI Tiger Stadium

I would like to know any information about baseball packages from Baltimore/Washington, DC to Detroit, MI. Or any recommendations for last minute travel to Tiger Stadium before moving into the new ballpark next season. Or knowledge of any bus, air, or train packages, weekend packages, where to stay, what to avoid, etc. Thanks!

Rich Aug 26th, 1999 05:24 AM

Brian: <BR> <BR>Sorry, but I can't help you w/the tickets, but I have a suggestion for air travel: try ProAir. They fly from BWI to Detroit City Airport (which is 1,000 times better than Metro ariport, and closer to downtown). I had to fly from DET to BWI in late April for a funeral, and the last-minute, round-trip fare was $200. Very reasonable, since Northwest's bereavement fare was $400! <BR> <BR>You might want to look at the postings elsewhere on this site, as someone else wrote in about where to stay, etc. in Detroit.... <BR> <BR>Hope you get a chance to see a game!

Amy Aug 26th, 1999 08:42 AM

Hi Brian, <BR>The previous poster had a good idea about checking ProAir, I've also flown ProAir to New York and it was MUCH cheaper than NW. But, if you don't mind traveling at the "last minute" NorthWest has very good CyberSaver Fares, sometimes from Wash. D.C. to Detroit. You can check it out on their website. As for "baseball packages", I haven't heard of any. Did you check the Tigers website - www.detroittigers.com <BR>Good Luck! I'm making my pilgrimage to the Stadium on Wednesday for their game against the Texas Rangers. :)

Brian Aug 26th, 1999 12:46 PM

Thanks for the info Amy and Rich. I called ProAir, they were very friendly and quoted a price of $205 round trip (good price). Any recommedation on hotels near the Detroit City Airport? Thanks again!

Randy Aug 27th, 1999 07:04 PM

Brian-- <BR> <BR>Detroit City Airport will be easy in and easy out, but you do not want to stay in the area surrounding the airport. Look to the downtown hotels--Atheneum, Doubletree, or the hotel in the RenCen--formerly the Westin and now a Marriot I believe. You may also want to look to hotels in Dearborn (still very close to the stadium)--I've stayed at places in Dearborn as varied as the Dearborn Inn (a Marriott at Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village), the Ritz Carlton, the Hyatt at Fairlane and even a Hampton Inn on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn. Of couse the Hampton is the cheapest buy, but still adequate for someone who'll be spending lots of time at the ball park. <BR> <BR>Also consider getting a hotel across the river in Windsor. Another posting of mine about Detroit and Tiger Stadium topics mentions the value of staying in Canada. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Rich Aug 31st, 1999 11:15 AM

Brian: <BR> <BR>I concur with Randy. Detroit City Airport may be convenient, but it's not in the best part of town. I also concur with his suggestions for either the downtown hotels he listed (the Westin at the Ren Cen IS now a Marriott), the ones in Dearborn, or, you also might look in Troy. But, I suspect that unless you stay downtown (or possibly Windsor), you'll need to rent a car. <BR> <BR>Hope things work out, & keep us posted!

Brian Sep 14th, 1999 12:10 PM

I just want to thank each one of you for all of your advice and recommendations about Detroit. I had a very nice time. I enjoyed the ballgames at Tiger Stadium. It is a memorable and historical ballpark. It will be missed next year. I stayed at the Marriott Ren.Center Hotel. It's been also nice. Your recommendations about Pro Air Airlines were correct; it was a comfortable ride. Again, I thank you for all of your help.

Rich Sep 16th, 1999 06:00 AM

You're welcome! Thanks for letting us know how everything worked out! I'm glad you had a nice time. <BR> <BR>I just have 2 questions...have heard conflicting stories about the Marriott...I was in the lobby, & it seemed in need of remodeling. Can you expand on your stay there? <BR> <BR>Also, the both times I took ProAir, there were only about 15-20 people on the flight! In fact, they made us sit in the back for ballast! How full were the flights when you took them?

Brian Sep 23rd, 1999 09:06 AM

Rich, in response to the first question. The Marriott Rec. Center is in the process of remodeling the back part of the lobby, near the stores and restaurants. Most of the areas were covered with plastic or boards. Sorry, I don't have any information on the extent of the renovations. Now responding the second question. Flying (both ways) on a 373 plane I had a row to myself leaving from Baltimore to Detroit. But it was a good amount of people onboard. Now leaving from Detroit was very crowded. All seats were full. The plane stopped at Indianapolis first before arriving to Detroit. In other words there were no balance problems at all. But thanks for asking.