Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Baseball in San Diego/LA/Anaheim (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/baseball-in-san-diego-la-anaheim-625061/)

Lyds Jun 20th, 2006 10:42 AM

Baseball in San Diego/LA/Anaheim

My family of 4 (kids 9 and 13) is going to San Diego, Anaheim and LA to see 3 baseball games. We are flying into San Diego and departing from LAX. Our hotel in San Diego is already booked for 2 nights, but I'm not sure what town we should stay in that would make it easiest to get to the other two ballparks. My daughter and I are not going to the Anaheim game so we would like a location that is within walking distance to shopping... and my husband can take the rental car. We don't need to go to Disney but we love the beach.

Mary2Go Jun 20th, 2006 11:32 AM

Hi,

I would book different hotels for Anaheim and LA, not an easy commute. For Anaheim you might try the Doubletree Anaheim. It is an easy drive to the stadium, 5 minutes away. There is an outdoor shopping mall called The Block that appeals to the teen set. There is even a day Burke Williams day spa there! The hotel is far enough away from the whole Disney area that you won't be stuck in that crowd.

sfamylou Jun 20th, 2006 11:57 AM

Another Anaheim possibility would be something like the Grand Californian, where you could shop in Downtown Disney, and it is very quick to get to the stadium. But it's expensive.

Chele60 Jun 20th, 2006 12:22 PM

Since Anaheim is the only stadium where it will only be your husband and one other child going to the game (not sure if that is a son or another daughter, sorry), and you are not interested in anything Disney, why not just stay in LA?

You don't say when you will be going to the game at Anaheim, but to avoid some traffic hassles between LA and Anaheim, I would recommend checking into the Amtrak schedules. Especially if the game is on a weekend. The train station is right in the parking lot of Angel Stadium. It might be worth looking into.

This way you and your daughter can stay in LA, where I think you will find your shopping venues will probably be more varied. There really aren't very many great shopping areas within walking distance of a hotel here in the OC. The Block "OK", but I doubt anyone over the age of 10 considers that quality shopping. South Coast Plaza would be the premier place to keep both you and your daughter interested, IMO. It is within walking distance, sort of, to a hotel....Red Lion, I think? More of a convention/business travel hotel, though.

Barbara Jun 20th, 2006 01:28 PM

There's the Westin South Coast Plaza, but that's not really convenient for either baseball park.

ssm Jun 20th, 2006 09:01 PM

I do not totally disagree with the thought of staying in one hotel but I would not stay in LA. First, the area around Dodger Stadium is not exactly the best. So you will have to drive in and out of there no matter what.

My recomendation would be to stay at the Hilton Suites in the city of Orange. It is an easy 1/4 mile walk to Anaheim Stadium. Within the hotel, shuttles are offered for shopping to The Block (yes, it is not the best but geared toward the younger crowds), Downtown Disney (good restaurants and just a fun place to hang out) and I believe South Coast Plaza. Moreover, since you will have a rental car, the hotel is located easily off the 5 fwy which means, depending on the time of day and day of week, you could get to the beach within 20 minutes while hubby is at the game. Also, depending on what you like to do, you might want to experience Old Town Orange, a great place for browsing antique shops and stop off at one of many nice restaurants. Plus, while you and your daughter are off shopping, hubby ad son can dine at National Sports Grill, a true "guy's place" located literally right next door to the hotel.

I live in Orange County, am a season ticket holder for the Angels and have recommended the Hilton Suites to numerous out of town business associates who come in for games. I have yet to hear any negative reviews.

paula1470 Jun 20th, 2006 10:47 PM

Another possibility would be to stay in Laguna Beach. It's a little bit of a drive to Anaheim but not that bad and you and your daughter could walk around and shop.

mlgb Jun 21st, 2006 11:36 AM

As I understand it, the OP wants a hotel within walking distance of shopping, the baseball fans get the car.

So with respect to Anaheim (OC) a hotel at South Coast Plaza would be the choice (there is a Westin).

It would not be unreasonable for the OP to stay in Pasadena near OldTown while the baseball fans drive to Dodger Stadium.

Heavens Jun 21st, 2006 01:06 PM

There is a hotel very close to Fashion Island, a Marriott that is supposed to be very nice and I am pretty sure itis walking distance to that mall. And the Angels are just up the road, maybe 10, 15 minutes? Please correct me if I am wrong on the proximity. My 19 yo daugher and myself LOVE Fashion Island. Great outdoor mall with a Bloomingdales and many restuarants and other shops. Great place to hang.

mlgb Jun 21st, 2006 02:00 PM

I also agree with Heavens Fashion Island (or fascist island) is a pleasant environment, whereas

South Coast Plaza is enormous (and indoors).

rjw_lgb_ca Jun 21st, 2006 02:16 PM

I third staying in Newport Center (where Fashion Island is, as well as the Newport Center Marriott). Actually, the old Four Seasons is in Newport Center as well-- it's been rebadged as the Island Hotel Newport Beach. Fashion Island (and yes, locals from across the Orange Curtain call it "Fascist Island") is a very nice place to shop (Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Saks, Apple Store, Design Within Reach, etc., etc., etc.), and it's outdoors.

South Coast Plaza is mostly indoors. It's three malls that have been merged into one vast complex with a pedestrian bridge across Bristol Ave. to link the main mall with the Crystal Court. Lots of stores, lots of walking. Lots of international tourists (multilingual shopping assistants are available everywhere you look). Supposedly the most profitable mall in the US. Fashion Island is still more pleasant.

rjw_lgb_ca Jun 21st, 2006 02:17 PM

Oh, and I have seen the Westin by South Coast. It's actually quite nice. Still, you're not near the water like you would be in Newport Beach....

Lyds Jun 21st, 2006 02:46 PM

Thanks so much to all that replied. We have taken the advice of booking hotels in Anaheim and LA. We are staying in a hotel right near Disney just in case my 9 year old daughter decides she'd like to go while we have the chance. We're then staying in Glendale at the Hilton, only 6 miles from Dodgers stadium, right across from the Seaport.