Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   bars in Key West (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bars-in-key-west-277708/)

Anne Dec 5th, 2002 02:07 AM

bars in Key West

We are going to Key West this month. We would like to know where your favorite bars are? We like places where locals hang out. Trying to avoid the touristisy places.<BR>Love to get advice on late night shows also.

NoName Dec 5th, 2002 04:32 AM

As someone said on another board - There are no local only type places. Nobody opens something in Key West and hopes just the locals hang out there. With that said, you might enjoy the following :<BR>The Green Parrot<BR>The Schooner Wharf<BR>The Hogs Breath<BR>

gmoney Dec 5th, 2002 05:06 AM

Anne, <BR><BR>The best place to hang out and get the true feel of Key West has to be &quot;Captain Tony's&quot; about a block off of Duval. It is the true original Hemingway bar and not nearly as commercial as Sloppy Joes. Bring your business card with you and when you get there you will know why. Wish I were in Key West right now it is one of my favorite places. As Jimmy Buffett sings in Last Mango in Paris. &quot;We went down to Captain Tony's to get out of the heat, I heard a voice call out to me, son come find a seat.&quot;

Larry Dec 5th, 2002 07:32 AM

Anne-<BR>I second the recommendation for Captain Tony's. During the afternoon it is a nice retreat from the heat. When my wife and I were there in August, Captain Tony himself showed up and posed for pictures and autographed a t-shirt for us. Another place we enjoyed is the first level of the Bull on Duval. Yankee Jack plays during the afternoon and he is quite amusing.<BR>For a little more earthy show, Irish Kevins, next to Sloppy Joes, is hysterical in the evening.Hope this helps.

Bill Dec 5th, 2002 10:09 AM

I would go to Louie's Backyard for cocktails, forget the food. Tony's and Schooner Wharf are good. Stay away from Sloppy Joes the place is a pigsty..

Jean Dec 5th, 2002 01:08 PM

Our favorite bar in Key West is Schooner Wharf. Lots of tourists and lots of locals as they come in from the fishing boats. <BR><BR>The bar at La Te Da is a pleasant place for a drink, on the 'quiet' end of Duval.<BR><BR>As for Sloppy Joe's being a pig sty, I don't spend much time there, but found Captain Tony's to be really gross. <BR><BR>Sorry can't help with late nights.

Wendy Dec 5th, 2002 03:11 PM

They are all touristy down there! We really had a great time at Hog's breath and at Sloppy Joes. Btw at Hog's Breath they have an online camera so you can call your friends and tell them to go to the website and see you online! haha! fun!

sdje Dec 5th, 2002 06:19 PM

The 2nd level of the Bull and Whistle is more of a good locals hangout. If you can catch Pete and Wayne @ Sloppy's, you will be in for a treat. Tony's is ok but it all depends which band is playing. Schooner is great, The Parrot is also great.

Nicole Dec 6th, 2002 11:58 AM

I second the 2nd level of the Bull and Whistle. But my home away from home in Key West always seemed to be Rick's...Ahhh, to be back on Duval right now rather than in the snow...Makes a girl want to cry.<BR><BR>But you will probably not find many bars in Key West that are &quot;locals&quot; only.

Look Dec 6th, 2002 02:50 PM

There was a shooting in Rick's just this past week. Better be careful.