Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bargains On a Budget: Anyone know where I can buy good designer clothes in New YORK(manhattan or surrounding areas please)

Bargains On a Budget: Anyone know where I can buy good designer clothes in New YORK(manhattan or surrounding areas please)

Sep 24th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Sashsa

I love clothes but cannot afford expensive ones. Please I need a list of places whereI can get bargains.

Sep 24th, 2000, 02:02 PM
howard

Go to Woodbury Common in Monroe, NY, an outlet with well over 200 stores, include lots of top designer shops. It's a 60-90 minute drive north of the city and well worth the trip!

Sep 24th, 2000, 03:37 PM
gail

Just a caution to check your receipt before you leave. I bought a dress for my daughter(in Manhattan) and was excited at what I found and the price..only to sign and not recheck the total as I was not given the marked discount.I have since read that this may not have been an honest mistake. It was a lesson well learned.

Sep 24th, 2000, 04:19 PM
edie

try Century 21 in the Financial District. don't go at lunch time.

Sep 24th, 2000, 04:47 PM
tweedy

Sasha, there are SO MANY places where you can get good deals on clothing might not be enough room to list them all, but I'll try.

1. Filene's Basement - 18th and 6th Ave
2. TJ Max - 18th and 6t Ave.
3. Daffy's - several locations
4. Forman's - lower East Side and now midtown
5. Conway - great for casual stuff
6. H&M - 5th and 52nd
7. Labels for Less - lots of locations
8. Lower East Side - near Canal St.
9. Loehman's - 7t and 17th
10. Bolton's - several locations but try midtown on 34t just east of 5th Ave.
11. Century 21 - near the World Trade Center
12. Syms - 2 locations

That should give you a few choices, let me know if you need something specific.

tweedy

Sep 24th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Iwontshop

Tweedy, your idea of bargain shopping for good designer clothes leaves a lot to be desired!
H&M? Conway? Labels for Less? You call their merchandise good designer clothes? Oh, c'mon lady!

Sep 24th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Jeff

I live in Manhattan and if you can stand the 60 minute trip go to Woodbury Commons in Harriman. There are endless outlet stores from Ralph Lauren (three actually--with a Polo last call store); a Barneys outlet; a Brooks Brothers outlet; a Neiman Marcus outlet and too many others to mention. A trip well worth it. Don't let others tell you that there are outlets closer for they pale in comparison.

Sep 24th, 2000, 10:15 PM
tweedy

For a 13 year old Conway and H&M are trendy clothing shops for kid cloths. You can get good jeans there for under $10 and my bet would be that's what she wears to school.

If you haven't been into H&M it is a very "hip" store, and all the cloths are very well priced.

Don't jump on a post until you know what you are talking about.

tweedy

Sep 25th, 2000, 04:46 AM
Iwontshop

Tweedy, my twerp, you ought to read the original posting more carefully. She asked where she could buy DESIGNER clothes. I'd hardly consider going to H&M and Conway's for designer clothes.
Further, the original poster doesn't say anything about a 13-year-older. So, why mention that?
Methinks you're confused!
Obviously, you're the one who jumped on a post before you knew what you were talking about!
Touche!

Sep 25th, 2000, 07:00 AM
tweedy

won't shop, it's people like you that are making this board not much fun anymore.

Did you give even one good suggestion? Instead of dumping on a post, if you don't disagree, then post what you feel is appropriate and calling someone a mean name is childish.

Wow is your glass half empty (and this is not something I would normally say, but I am tired of being dumped on) or is it your head?

And don't bother responding.
tweedy

Sep 25th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Iwontshop

Sorry, Tweedy, but I'm responding!
But, like you, these are things that I don't normally say. But, you finally gotto me with all your inane postings!
P.S.: My glass is very full!

Sep 25th, 2000, 03:35 PM
tweedy

And I have yet to see a helpful suggestion from you. I am also not too chicken to post my name.

Didn't your Mother ever teach you if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all?

And if you nothing to contribute to the board then don't pick on someone else who does.

tweedy

Sep 25th, 2000, 03:47 PM
Jeff

Tweedy,
Leave it alone. I run into too many obnoxious people and what makes me feel better is that at the end of the day, I am not them--Certainly helps me sleep nights.

Sep 25th, 2000, 06:46 PM
howard

The original poster's request seems to have gotten lost in all this bickering. As Jeff and I have previously recommended, Woodbury Common can't be beat. In addition to those mentioned by Jeff, my wife adds the following: Liz Claiborne, Jones New York, Carole Little, Off Fifth Avenue (that's Sax's outlet), Dooney & Burke, Coach, Anne Klein, Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, etc., etc., etc.

Sep 26th, 2000, 04:30 AM
Chloe

Sasha,
Woodbury Commons is great for bargains on designer clothes. It really is the best outlet mall in the metro area. If you take the Palisades Interstate Parkway, it's actually a nice ride. In the city, I find great bargains at Century 21.

Sep 26th, 2000, 04:50 AM
Lori

Watch New York magazines list of sample sales for the upcoming week. This is the time of year you will find plenty of designers having sample sales.

Sep 26th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Mom

Dear IWontShop,

Although your probably meant well when you took issue with Tweedy's suggestions, you were way out of line and unbelievably rude. Are you big enough to apologize?

Sep 26th, 2000, 07:02 AM
susan

Loehman's is the classic place in New York to shop for bargains on designer clothes. I think the best one is in the Bronx. There's a free shuttle on Saturday mornings from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Or at least there used to be - - they may have discontinued it now that there's a Loehman's right in the city.

There are also a number of upscale consignment shops on the Upper East Side. They should be listed in the phone book. If you don't mind used clothes, you can get some good bargains.

I'm not that wild about Woodbury Common. The stuff is only discounted a very little bit - - not really worth the hassle of getting there.

Sep 26th, 2000, 08:01 AM
Joe

Susan - I agree with you concerning Woodbury. Every time I have been there, I have found most merchandise to be a second, or else a size XXXL, or else some bizarre color or pattern. For someone with limited time in NY, I would forgo the schlepp up there and focus on attractions in the city.

Sep 26th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Iwontshop

Alright, Mom, you're right! I'm sorry I was rude. BUT, I still think Tweedy's advice, to be polite, not good!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO