Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bar Mitzvah question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bar-mitzvah-question-609525/)

sher11 Apr 21st, 2006 12:32 PM

Bar Mitzvah question

I guess this really isn't a true "travel" question, however, I will be traveling to go to a Bar Mitzvah.

I have a question: I was born and raised Catholic and live in a rather non-diverse area and I have never been to a Bar Mitzvah.
My son and I were invited to his friends Bar Mitzvah and I am not sure of the customs. I know enough to know the significance of the event, however, I don't know the party or ceremony customs. Do we go to the actual ceremony and if so will we stick out? Will we be expected to particpate in some way and if so how? Does my son need to wear a cap in the Synagoge?

Also, what type of gift is appropriate? Is cash appropriate and if so what is the average gift?

Sorry to sound so ignorant to the subject so please educate me!

AlexA Apr 21st, 2006 12:42 PM

You'll get lots of useful advice here, but a few questions first:
1)do you know if the family is "Orthodox" "Conservative" "Reform" or something else? The religious denomination of the family will dictate some of the traditions, what the ceremony will be like, etc
2)In what city or part of the country is this taking place? For better or for worse, gift giving traditions (including the amount) vary by region
3)Are you very close to the family? Neighbors, best friends etc?
The short answer to all of your questions is relax! Obviously the family wants you there and will not be worried by your lack of knowledge of some finer points of etiquette. But I understand your wanting some more details and reassurance

Gardyloo Apr 21st, 2006 01:04 PM

Exactly, relax. Everybody invites non-Jews to Bar/Bat (female) Mitzvah services, so nobody's going to feel put out if you don't understand everything that's going on.

Generally Bar Mitzvah "ceremonies" are limited to the boy participating in Saturday services, reading a portion of the Torah, giving an interpretation of the reading and/or an additional speech, ("Today I am a Fountain Pen,") and so on. Ready to take his place in the community. After the service ends there will be food. More food. Par-tay. Usually the big party will take place somewhere else than the synagogue - someplace where the Rabbi can make an appearance, then find some reason to leave before things get - well - teenaged.

The questions regarding orthodox, conservative, reform etc. are significant mainly in that seating arrangements may vary, or more or less of the service will be conducted in Hebrew, etc. Again, these events typically draw non-Jewish friends or associates of the family, and every synagogue has easily-followed procedures.

You can google the name of the congregation and usually determine quickly what movement it falls into. If it's conservative or orthodox, then most likely men will be asked to wear <i>kippot</i> (skullcaps) - they will be available at the service (and often are given as souvenirs by the boy's family.) The invitation should make clear what attire restrictions there might be. Other things like dietary offerings following the service or at the party will be handled by the family and congregation.

Cash is often used as a present, or a savings bond in the boy's name. As for amount, treat it like any other significant birthday, no more, no less.

CarolM Apr 21st, 2006 01:07 PM

AlexA brings up good issues. What I can tell you:
Yes, you should go to the ceremony at the synogogue if you're planning on attending the party afterwards (or that night). Depending on the denomination, the service itself will probably be about 2 hrs. Unless you have been asked, you will not be expected to participate in the ceremony. In most synogogues, boys and men are expected to wear a cap (these will be provided by the synogogue as you walk in).

The party will be similar to a wedding reception, in many aspects... dinner or lunch is served, usually live music, etc. There is usually what's called a &quot;candlelighting ceremony,&quot; in which relatives and close friends are asked to come up and light one of the candles on the cake. You don't have to know anything to do this.

Gifts: can be anything... cash is appropriate; if you're not personally comfortable with giving cash, gift cards are a good idea. There is a Jewish tradition in which monetary amounts are given in multiples of 18... 18 is a special number which signifies &quot;chai&quot; or &quot;life.&quot; Often Bar and Bat Mitzvahs will receive a check or gift card in the amount of say $36 (double chai) or $54 (triple chai), etc. Just an insider tip!!!

Chele60 Apr 21st, 2006 01:07 PM

Don't worry about &quot;sticking out&quot; because you won't be able to help feeling that way. And there will probably be other boys there with their families who are also not Jewish feeling a bit awkward as well. Just try to relax. The family obviously wanted you to be there.

An invitation to a Bar Mitzvah means both the snyagogue service and the reception. Normally, the service will be conducted to allow for the fact that there will be guests in attendance who are either not Jewish or who do not attend regular synagogue services. The point is not to make people feel uncomfortable. Just follow along as best you can. No one will be judging you. Be happy for the Bar Mitzvah - it's his big day!

Yes, your son will be expected to wear a kippah, but one will be provided for him either by the family for the ceremony or through the synagogue. They will be at the entrance to the synagogue. Again, don't sweat it. If you miss it, some one will probably give it to him.

You will not be expected to participate in the service. At the reception, normally the kids sit separately from the adults.

Whenevery I've gone to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah, I've only given a cash gift. It't easier and the kids seem to appreciate that more. Typically, unless you know exactly what the girl/boy wants, it's difficult.

It's a new experience! It should be fun!

bellhouse Apr 21st, 2006 01:10 PM

I'm not exactly an expert, since I've only been to 2 (brothers) - but I had no idea what to expect the first time. This may vary by region as well as whether they are orthodox, etc. - I don't know. However, we went to the serivce itself and the boy and his family were very pleased that we did. There were a few other non-Jews there (mostly school friends of the boy), but most just went to the party. The greeters at the temple gave my sons yarmuckles to wear and showed them how to put them on. You do not have to do anything during the service, which is fairly long. I think we gave the boys $50 (Florida west coast). your best bet might be to call the boy's parents and ask about the service. Hope this helps.

seetheworld Apr 21st, 2006 01:14 PM

My sons attended several Bat/Bar Mitzvahs growing up. They attended both the service and the celebration. I loved the fact they were able to experience both the religious and cultural significance of the occasion.

As for the monetary gift... I seem to recall something about the number &quot;7&quot; (or was it six?) - or a multiple of the number. This is for good luck, I believe. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

FainaAgain Apr 21st, 2006 01:33 PM

Sher, depending on the synagogue, your son may be in men's section, you - in women's if this is an orthodox synagogue.

Yes, you will go to the actual ceremony - the boy and probably the members of his family will be called to read the appropriate portion of the Torah, and you will be at a regular Saturday service.

You may be required to stand when everybody else is standing - some prayers are recited seated, some standing, same rule for everybody, unless disabled.

Your son may be required to cover his head. Depends on the synagogue, not a requirement in reform. There is no law to wear a certain kippah, so it may be a baseball-type cap, no signs on it, please!

It all depends on the synagogue. Some have light refreshments after the service, some a full sit-down dinner.

Oh, by the way, don't worry if you're running a little late, it's not a movie, they won't close the doors.

Yes, cash is appropriate. And maybe a card if he wants to keep as a memento.

You haven't asked about attire... I assume you know not to wear jeans? And in an orthodox synagogue women wear modest dresses or skirts to cover the knees, boys will be formally (more or less) dressed.

SeeTheWorld, I never heard of #7 in Judaism except that &quot;on the 7th day he rested&quot;. Usually a money gift or a donation is proportionate to 18. Interesting!

esm Apr 21st, 2006 01:37 PM

Baseball-type cap Faina? Please tell me you're not serious.

FainaAgain Apr 21st, 2006 01:45 PM

Esm, I live in San Francisco. Does this explain :)

esm Apr 21st, 2006 01:50 PM

LOL Faina. I have to confess I've never seen anyone at Bar/Bat Mitzvah in a baseball cap! I hope Sher's son wears the caps provided. But maybe it is in SF!

Judy24 Apr 21st, 2006 02:00 PM

You've been given excellent advice. The only thing I will add is that if this is a conservative or orthodox service, you may find that in addition to having the males wear yarmulkes, most or all of the women may also be wearing a head covering. Not to worry, since this should also be provided to you. Usually there is a basket of round lacey doilies that the women just pin on the back of their heads with a safety pin. They're usually placed right next to the yarmulkes.

CarolM Apr 21st, 2006 02:08 PM

I have to agree with Esm... no baseball caps! I should also mention that even in Reform synogogues men and boys can be required to wear the traditional cap.

On the subject of clothing, it's true that jeans are not appropriate (in almost every synogogue). To make you feel better, sher11, I'm Jewish and this past Easter Sunday I attended Mass at a Catholic church with my friend... it was a nice experience. And what I really loved was that I could go dressed very casually (nice jeans, etc.), which seems to be the norm here (I live in South Florida, where a lot of stuff is casual). I wish more synogogues would relax with that, the way many churches have. It's so much more comfortable.

OneWanderingJew Apr 21st, 2006 02:20 PM

If you are in a synagogue where woman have their head's covered, you will be supplied bobby pins, not safety pins--ouch! LOL

I've had friends who worried about the same things as you did. I told them to just follow the crowd. When in Rome....

heathmd Apr 21st, 2006 02:23 PM

I agree with everyone else to relax and enjoy. Just follow the directions by the rabbi and do what ever everyone else does. That's what I do at Catholic ceremonies.
I too agree with no baseball caps. The only thing that I did not see others write is that it is customary for women to have their shoulders covered (especially in Conservative and Orthodox synagoges). A strapless or thin strapped dress is fine, just pair it with a shall, even a sheer shall is ok.

Judy24 Apr 21st, 2006 02:24 PM

Oh my! I can't believe I wrote &quot;safety pin&quot; when I meant to write &quot;bobby pin!&quot; Thank you for pointing that out!

I guess it's the end of week and I'm punchy. How's that for an excuse? Please forgive my idiocy.

Gardyloo Apr 21st, 2006 02:38 PM

Note that the teenaged girls in the Bar Mitzvah boy's class (assuming reform or conservative here) will dress as 13 YO girls dress. Oy.

seetheworld Apr 21st, 2006 04:07 PM

Faina, you are probably correct. It's some number, really all I can remember.

gail Apr 21st, 2006 04:51 PM

Regarding gift - cash. And there was the time 7 years ago when our son and his classmates decided to pool the cash their parents had carefully placed in dignified and appropriate cards - to buy the Bar Mitzvah kid a much-wanted and parent disapproved Nintendo game system. (His parents let him keep it)

Rich Apr 21st, 2006 05:41 PM

Tell you son that when they ask if anyone wants to participate in the bris, to keep his seat . . .