Bar Hopping in L.A. for 35-45 Year Olds

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bar Hopping in L.A. for 35-45 Year Olds

We are trying to finalize our agenda for our trip to Los Angeles in late December. We've gotten good advice on where to stay (probably West Hollywood/BH, maybe Santa Monica), but we want to know where to go out at night. We are not into the "long waiting lines/velvet ropes/only the beautiful and dressed get in" kind of places. I don't care about finding celebrities (I don't think I would recognize most of them anyway). We are both 40 and don't mind being around people of any age as long as they are fun. We like casual but fun pubs and bars where we can listen to music, drink good beer, and people watch. Examples include Whiskey Joe's in Tampa, Horse You Rode In On in Baltimore, and the Irish Bank in San Francisco. Any suggestions? Any particular neighborhoods, streets, or areas that we should focus on? How about how to dress?

Thanks!
Dave
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:24 PM

The Dresden in Los Feliz and the Cat & Fiddle in Hollywood. Enjoy your stay here in LA.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Definitely the Cat & Fiddle in Hollywood; Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood; the Mint on Pico in the West L.A./West Hollywood area; Rusty's Surf Ranch on the Santa Monica pier; Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica; Kingston 12 in Santa Monica; House of Blues in West Hollywood; Improv in West Hollywood; and I'd also take a walk and look see in the bars and restaurants along main street between Pico and Rose in Santa Monica. That's my list off the cuff, but I'll give it a little more thought.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 09:14 PM

Stay at the Best Western if you enjoy the nightlife, it's walking distance to a few good spots and a short cab ride from many more.

Nice rooms too!

www.sunsetplazahotel.com
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions - Thanks! I have two follow-up questions:

1. How do people generally dress in the places listed?

2. Several of the suggestions are in Santa Monica - should we stay there or in the West Hollywood area? Does it matter?

Thanks!
Dave
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
For late December, guys generally wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt and jacket (jean, leather, whatever you wear to keep you warm in 60 degree weather). For women, oh we're pretty diverse (!) -- but most women I know stick to black jeans or similar and whatever top a woman might wear to dress down or dress up (depending on mood) and a jacket or pullover.

Where to stay depends on whether you will have a car. If you have a car, you're 20 minutes from most of the places mentioned.