Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bar Harbour Maine (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bar-harbour-maine-394744/)

citiboy50 Feb 3rd, 2004 06:14 AM

Bar Harbour Maine

We are planning a trip from mid Aug to mid-Sept.What is the temperature range then? Where can we rent a house or condo?Did we pick the best destination in Maine?

elberko Feb 3rd, 2004 06:30 AM

Hi citiboy50,

Well, we think BH is the best destination in Maine! If you are looking for hiking, biking, and kayaking during the day, and decent restaurants (and lobster!) at night, this is your place.

Are you staying a whole month? If not, I suggest you visit in Sept. rather than August to avoid crowds. The weather will almost certainly be wonderful.

Molly2 Feb 3rd, 2004 07:38 AM

I also think that you chose the best place in Maine! Some of the outlying areas are lovely and also worth considering for accommodations. Haven't visited recently, so others can advise you better about where to stay.

For years, my husband and I made an annual trip in late June to hike and otherwise enjoy the areas without crowds. Though we always had a great time, it was invariably cold and drizzly for at least part of our stay. September {after Labor Day},I agree, would offer you the best weather without the crowds.

citiboy50 Feb 3rd, 2004 01:30 PM

Where would you stay in Bar Harbor? We need a website for homes and condos?What can we do there?Bar Harbor is big-What is the best location?

BrendaM Feb 3rd, 2004 04:59 PM

For lodging choices in Bar Harbor, or in other areas of Maine, check out the Maine Innkeepers Association website at maineinns.com. Lots of choices from B&B's to motels & resorts. Links to most. I have found this to be the best website for Maine accommodations. Hope this helps.

adisim Feb 3rd, 2004 06:16 PM

The good thing about August is that you will probably still find wild blueberries. If you'll be there for a full month, you can take time to relax in some of the quieter areas before Labor Day and then visit the more popular areas in September.

citiboy50 Feb 3rd, 2004 07:02 PM

What is the best part of Bar Harbor to rent a home or condo?

jasper Feb 4th, 2004 06:09 AM

bar harbor is really small. i love it! maine is my favorite next to my native new york...you can stay anywhere and access it all with a car. i stayed in a holiday inn or something. to eat? jordans is a must for breakfast. hope you like blueberries! and miguels for the best mexican food! enjoy.

ndf321 Feb 4th, 2004 06:21 AM

We were in Bar Harbor twice. Once was the second week of September, the weather was fairly cool, especially after drak, and thing were starting to shut down for the season. The second time was the first week in September. Things were a little more lively and the weather was better.

We went to the top of the mountain, and I seem to remember seeing lots of cabins on the way down. I don't know how you'd go about renting, though. Maybe this link will help.

http://www.acadianationalpark.com/acadia/lodging.htm

I think you have made a wonderful choice for your vacation. We really loved it there. Definitely watch the sunrise from the top of Cadillac Mountain. It is gorgeous.

ndf321 Feb 4th, 2004 06:26 AM

This link is better:

http://www.barharbormaine.com/home.html

citiboy50 Feb 4th, 2004 02:51 PM

Is it best to be near mtns or beach?

ndf321 Feb 5th, 2004 05:21 AM

That's a more appropriate question for North Carolina than for Maine.

There isn't really much "beach" there. It is pretty rocky, and the water doesn't get very warm even in the summer.

There is a much higher concentration of lodging in town, which is to say right next to the water. But with a car, you can get everywhere you want to go pretty quickly. Even by bicycle it is pretty fast. The place isn't really all that big.

AHaugeto Feb 5th, 2004 05:39 AM

Oh man, I'm jealous. I love Bar Harbor, and the rest of Mount Desert Island. Whale watching, brewery tours, biking, hiking, driving the Acadia loop - SO much to do, and September is the perfect time to go to avoid the crowds. You will still see the cruise ships, but the passengers typically are herded onto tour busses and quickly whisked around the Island. I feel sorry for them - no time to explore, hike, sit by the water and contemplate the loons...If you go to the excellent restaurant Havana, please have their salad with the jalapeno-raspberry vinaigrette for me - it is heavenly. The chef would not give me the recipe, the bas%$#@...

ndf321 Feb 5th, 2004 05:52 AM

There are lobster dinners and lunches everywhere for unbelievable prices. If you are going to be there that long you may get sick of it!

I'm not sure if there are still open, but we had a blast a Geddy's pub. Very good pizza.

And don't put off the whale watching cruise until the last day, because once the high season is over, the boats don't fill up enough sometimes and they cancel the cruise. You get your money back, but you dodn't get to see any whales. :(

jasper Feb 5th, 2004 06:02 AM

i loved geddy's! we were there every night of the trip, and i still have the pictures, and a geddy's shirt! we even danced a bit there. i remember a small little burger-joint open late in the little shopping plaza there...i had a really good veggie burger. can't remember the name but it was great.

ndf321 Feb 5th, 2004 06:42 AM

The shirt with the Lobster tossing pizza dough!!! I have that shirt too!

What a blast! I want to go back to Bar Harbour! RIGHT NOW!!!

Well, maybe not RIGHT now. The weather there probably sucks right now.

jasper Feb 5th, 2004 10:54 AM

i would love to go back...i still remember this bartender tracey (a guy) from florida. the shirt i wanted was all sold out, but a waitress had it...i offered to pay $50 for it...she gaved it to me the next night and didn't take the money. hysterical trip. i went over columbus day w'end. it was ideal. not to cold, sunny still. no crowds...

dbenya Feb 5th, 2004 01:10 PM

Now that I've found *my* house I'll share my rental site list with you :-)

Coastal Cottages: www.vacationcottages.com
The Davis Agency: www.daagy.com
The Knowles Co.: www.knowlesco.com
Maine Vacations: www.mainevacation.com
Vacation Rentals by Owner: www.vrbo.comThe Train Agency: www.trainprop.com

Good luck!

Judyrem Feb 5th, 2004 02:05 PM

FYI, we are staying at the Holland Inn for 125$ a night with bkfst. It is about the most reasonable place I could find. We are going in late July.

katybird Feb 5th, 2004 02:22 PM

I have found great rentals for Maine on Cyberrentals.com. This is a site " for rent by owner" thus saving realtor fees.