Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, NS (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bar-harbor-to-yarmouth-ns-770676/)

buenavista Mar 3rd, 2009 01:31 PM

Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, NS

I'm considering taking the CAT from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, NS in June for an overnight stay. Can anyone make suggestions between the Rodd Grand, Rodd Colony, Bestwestern and/or Comfort Inn?

elberko Mar 4th, 2009 08:20 AM

Just my 2 cents...We loved NS, but didn't care for Yarmouth. I don't think it's worth the expense for such a short time in NS, which won't allow you to see the best part (Cape Breton).

~Liz

dfrostnh Mar 4th, 2009 08:46 AM

Years ago we took the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth. We had an overnight on the ferry and then and overnight in Halifax with a last night in Yarmouth. Later we spent a lot of time between PEI and Nova Scotia. Cape Breton is indeed one of the best parts but I also liked the area south of Halifax which I believe is called the Lighthouse Trail. The east coast is beautiful with some wonderful beaches. I wouldn't do a single night in NS. There are too many wonderful places in Maine to explore if you are short on time.

buenavista Mar 5th, 2009 05:59 AM

Thanks for your replies. Someone told me Yarmouth was alot like Bar Harbor - a quaint main street with lots of shops but a little smaller area. Is this true?? This is my 10th visit to Bar Harbor/Acadia but I've never taken the CAT to NS. Thought I'd try something different this time, but I might be rethinking!

china_cat Mar 5th, 2009 06:04 AM

Have you tried the ferry to Winter Harbor and the Schoodic peninsula before? I think that part of Acadia is lovely.

We did take the cat into Yarmouth, but we really just drove through town and headed on to Halifax. It didn't seem like there was much to do in Yarmouth. Driving through, it didn't seem as charming as Bar Harbor. Also, we found going through customs took a long time that day, so it was a longer crossing than we expected. That may have been simple bad luck though. When you drive off the ferry they shoo you into a big line, and we ended up behind a cluster of about 15 motorcycles who went through the customs booth one at a time. It took forever.

buenavista Mar 6th, 2009 06:20 PM

I've been to the Schoodic peninsula a couple times, and you're right, it is beautiful. I've driven through Winter Harbor but didn't find much to stop at, due more to the fact I didn't know where to look. We drove the coast up to the West Qouddy lighthouse. It was a nice trip.

elberko Mar 7th, 2009 09:42 AM

We've been to Bar Harbor 6 or 7 times, and ALWAYS enjoy it. Perhaps you should consider NS this time? Make sure you leave enough time, though. We felt 6 days was a bit short, NS is bigger than you think! Our favorite parts were Cape Breton and Brier Island.

~Liz

texasjo Mar 7th, 2009 01:31 PM

Buenavista, "We drove the coast up to the West Qouddy lighthouse. It was a nice trip." Was this a one-day trip?
We are visiting Bar Harbor and ANP for first time in early June and want to make this trip. Thinking of going from maybe Ellsworth down thru Winter Harbor to Schoodic peninsula and then up coast to overnight in Lubec. Is that doable (with time at Schoodic) in one day without being rushed? Thinking next day for lighthouse and Campabello before heading back down to BH and ANP for 3 days. Since you've been several times, would appreciate any advice on timeframes. Thanks.

texasjo Mar 16th, 2009 12:28 PM

Guess Buenavista never checked back in--can anyone answer my question posed to him about the drive to Lubec? Thanks.

china_cat Mar 16th, 2009 01:51 PM

texasjo, yes I think your plan is doable. Some years ago we drove the opposite direction, starting out in Lubec. We went down the coast and stopped at Schoodic peninsula. I think we did not stay long, just made maybe one stop and walked around a little bit, maybe ate a picnic lunch there. Then we continued and drove all the way to Camden ME where we stopped for the night.

the short hike at West Quoddy to the lighthouse was really beautiful. Lubec is really quiet and not very touristy, but quite beautiful. I hope you meant to spend 2 nights there, so you have a full day for Campobello and the lighthouse, before starting back. Otherwise I think it would be a bit rushed.