Reload this Page >

A U.S. vacation - any ideas??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 03:06 PM
Alison

My parents are looking for a vacation destination in the United States for the end of July/August. They don't like sitting at the pool, but are looking for a destination with attractions/sightseeing (not too touristy), good dining, and interesting shopping areas. They also would like to go to a place where they have never been. However, that haven't been to that many places, so this should be easy...Got any suggestions? Thanks!!

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 03:23 PM
steve

San Francisco with a visit to the wine country is a trip I think almost anyone would enjoy.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 04:14 PM
hamlet

How about Santa Fe or San Antonio? Nice climate, beautiful scenery, sense of history, touristy locations but not in the Disney sense, and they are artsy/artistic communities where they can find something to go to if they want and a range of cuisine.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 05:10 PM
Rob

Try the outer tip of Cape Cod near towns like Welfleet or Truro. Very quaint New England, away from the crowds and plenty to do (e.g., restaurants, shopping, museums, whale watch, sea shelling, and more). The nearby town of Provincetown clearly qualifies as interesting. Lots of galleries, shops and restaurants. Give it a try.

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 08:13 AM
Paul Rabe

Hmmm. Attractions, dining, and shopping; in the middle of summer. Although I hate to NOT recommend San Antonio, it WILL be quite hot at that time. Same with New Orleans, another great town. Sounds like you want a large city where people actually live, instead of travel to (i.e, NOT Las Vegas). Amongst my favorites (all of which have GREAT attractions, dining, and shopping) are (in no particular order) New York City (expen$ive), Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, and Philadelphia.

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 11:33 AM
Brian Kilgore

If they are willing to drive on this vacation, go in a circle from Los Angeles up the coast to San Francisco then inland to the mountains near Vasalia and back to Los Angeles.

Or, a frew days in New York and then a few days in Boston is hard to beat.

BAK

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Linda

San Antonio is a great destination but not in August--way too hot--and I love SA. Maybe drive up the coast from Boston to Freeport, Maine--great scenery, good food, Freeport is outlet central for shopping. I stopped at swap meets on the way, looked at lighthouses, etc. Everything is so close that they could take in Vermont; part of Canada; Newport, Rhode Island.