Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bar Harbor in early August or quieter spot for lodging? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bar-harbor-in-early-august-or-quieter-spot-for-lodging-586805/)

millsy5 Jan 31st, 2006 03:48 AM

Bar Harbor in early August or quieter spot for lodging?

Our family of five, which includes 3 teenage kids, will be going to Acadia in early August. Unfortunately this is the only time we can go with school schedules. Should we stay in Bar Harbor or away from Bar Harbor yet close enough to get there easily? Thanks. Would appreciate any and all suggestions of where to stay. THanks.

Retired_teacher Jan 31st, 2006 04:16 AM

Your teenagers would certainly prefer staying in Bar Harbor with all of its activity, although that will prove to be an expensive choice. To get away from the maddening crowds, a better choice might be Bass Harbor or other communities to the south.

millsy5 Jan 31st, 2006 07:40 AM

Any suggestions of where to stay in Bass Harbor?

elberko Jan 31st, 2006 03:10 PM

I think it depends on how you plan to spend your evenings. If you want to get dinner, then walk around the sort-of boardwalky downtown area of BH (and maybe grab an ice-cream cone...) Bar Harbor might be best. If you stay elsewhere you'll have to drive if you want to do anything in the evening.

~Liz

Retired_teacher Feb 2nd, 2006 05:39 PM

Here's an old post that may help...

Author: caplan
Date: 07/04/2003, 02:43 pm
We are planning August 4 - 13 coast/Acadia vacation. 2 adults. No, don't have lodging yet.
In Portland w/ friends 8/4.
Want to see Wyeth, etc. in Rockland area - stay in Camden?
Then 4-5 days for Acadia, Mt. Desert, etc.
Don't want to stay in Bar Harbor - one of us hates crowds, shopping, tourists.
Only places we've found w/ accommodations so far are Bass Harbor Cottages & Country Inn -anyone stayed there? no air conditioning and limited time at Pilgrims Inn on Mt. Desert (pricier).
We want quiet, beauty, privacy.
Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: PamSF
Date: 07/04/2003, 10:22 pm
If you have not already, buy a copy (there's a brand new edition out) of Maine:The Explorer's Guide. We have always used it(several editions) over the years for trips to Maine. I think any place you can find outside of Bar Harbor will give you what you are ooking for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: clarkgriswold
Date: 07/04/2003, 11:56 pm
You might try the Asticou Inn, about 20 min from Bar Harbor...not sure if the main Inn has air conditioning but they also have 2 cottages.

www.asticou.com

Author: PamelaJane
Date: 07/05/2003, 01:46 pm
We spent six nights in Maine 2yrs ago and loved it. First two nights we stayed at The Bradley Inn in New Harbor.Nice place with restaurant.You can walk down the small road to the Pemaquid Point lighthouse.Its a short drive over to New Harbor and Shaws Fish and Lobster Wharf. We ate there twice.This is where the movie Message in a bottle was filmed. The best part was taking the ferry over to Monhegan Island. Its a great way to spend the day.Very artistic community.The island only has about thirty full time residents,no cars. There is one Inn with a restaurant on the island.A museum and gorgous views from the hiking trails. Dont miss it! We also spent two nights inland at Moosehead Lake.We went on a moose safari and saw several moose and a black bear. We stayed at the most beautiful Bed and Breakfast that I have ever been in,The Blair Hill Inn. they have a website.There is a state park down the road which we hiked through and swam at. All the scenery looks like something out of National Geo.And the AIR is so clean.Highly reccomend Moosehead Lake area for the chance to see wildlife and natural settings.Worth the drive from the coast area. Have a great trip!

Author: maryann
Date: 07/05/2003, 06:03 pm
We stayed one wonderful night in Eastport, ME- wish it was more.

Not too many tourists-not too many rooms avail..

Even went to a mustard factory and the best clam chowder around.

Check it out.

Author: BrendaM
Date: 07/06/2003, 01:41 am
One of the best lodging websites for Maine lodging is that of the Maine Innkeepers Association at maineinns.com. Tons of options and links to all properties.

Author: mainetoday ([email protected])
Date: 07/08/2003, 02:46 pm
If you want to stay away from the tourists and be a little ways away, just stay in Ellsworth, right off route 1, before you go into Bar Harbor. Or, if you want to be right there, you might want to check out Southwest Harbor or one of the smaller surrounding towns on Mount Desert Island. I think there are some other motels in Trenton as well.

china_cat Feb 2nd, 2006 06:39 PM

stay in Bar Harbor. Yes, its crowded, but its the best place to be. If you can find a place which fits your budget I think you will be happier there. I've also stayed inBass Harbor, which is quiet and beautiful, but its a long drive to the main sections of Acadia. It would be a great place to stay on a second or third trip.

it would be easier to recommend a place if you could give an approximate budget and what kind of place you are looking for. There are expensive, smaller b&b's, motels with kitchenettes and better prices, and big resorts. I think Bar Harbor has accomodations to suit all tastes.

jcasale Feb 10th, 2006 10:58 AM

With 3 teenagers - definitely Bar Harbor. Ellsworth is certainly an option, but there's not much there for teens to amuse themselves with. The "quieter side" of the island (Southwest, Northeast, Bass Harbors) would be too quiet for teens. They'll will love being able to walk up and down and go into the shops. If they like ice cream (who doesn't!) they should go to Ben and Bill's Ice Cream Emporium on Main St. Can't miss it and it's the best ice cream in town imho. They can even try lobster ice cream (although I wasn't very impressed with it). You'll be there at a wonderful time of year - lobsters and blueberries!!!! Doesn't get much better.