Notices

Bar Harbor at the End of September

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Tami

Bar Harbor at the End of September

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Bar Harbor area the last week of September. We are bringing our 9 year old daughter with us.

We would like to stay somewhere nice,that accepts children, in the Bay area and then travel from there. We would like to go to Acadia Nat'l Park, take the ferry to Nova Scotia (spend the night there and then come back), go to the Wyeth's Museum, go to Farnsworth Museum and eat lobster!.

QUESTIONS:Will we be coming too late in the season for a clam bake? Does this trip sound reasonable to do in a 6 night/7 day stay? Any suggestions for lodging-would love an Ocean/Bay view. Planning on flying into Bangor as it looks closer.

Any further suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you-a family from the Midwest!

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds terrific! You'll love Acadia. I would suggest forgetting about an overnight to NS. The best part is Cape Breton, which you won't get to. Take a whale watching trip instead if you just want to get out in the water.

Not sure about a "clam bake", but I imagine most lobster pounds (for eating cheap lobster at picnic tables outside) would still be open.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 10:00 AM
BAK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, is a wonderful place, but will be quiet and peaceful, but still with lots of interesting things for a kid to see and do in a day.

One of the best historic restorations in the world while still being a working community, not a park like Williamsburg.

It's an excellent idea for your daughter, and you'll enjoy it, too.

Bar Harbor will be quiet, but it won't be dead. Not many other kids though; they'll be in school.

About flying to Bangor...

I think that the Maine coast is a great place, and that flying into Portland and renting a car and driving up the coast would be more interesting, not dig too deeply into your time, more fun for the girl, and, all in all, a better idea.

Boothbay Harbor is worth a stop.

And if you are driving, look for Lincolnville on your map.

It's between Rockport and Bucksport, and there's a gret restaurant with outdoor seating, bargain-priced food, and a beach where, while the water will be cold, will still be fun for a kid to wade in the water while waiting for a meal.

If boredom sets in in Bar Harbor, think about driving up the coast to Canda, and crossing over onto Campobello island and looking around there.

You can leave via ferry boat to Deer Island and then to the Canadian mainland, and then drive back down to Bar Harbor. You can do all this in a day, the girl gets two ferry rides, a US History Lesson (Roosevelt Campebollo park on the isalnd)another visit to a foreign country, a different (rocky, cold water but fun) beach to play on, etc.

BAK
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bay View Inn is very nice, the nine year old will have the small pool almost to herself. You can leave your car there and walk to the ferry landing.

Lobster prices are often down in late September!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Tami

Dear "Elberko" & "Bak":

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We are really looking forward to this trip. Never been to the east coast! We like the idea of the ferry boats to Deer Island and then onto Canada! Thank you so much!

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:27 PM
BAK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tami, more thoughts.

I asked my friend Matt today (he sells me coffee at Starbucks) about Yarmouth and Bar Harbor. His mother works in Yarmouth, and Matt has been to Bar Harbor dozens of times, and his advice is to skip Yarmouth and the boat trip.

Instead, spend your money on something else. The drive up to Campobello would be a much better investment in time and money, and would be probably more fun for the girl.

He does advise that you should try to get on the water in a boat some way or other. the ferry trips aropund Deer Island would work.

BAK
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Tami

Dear BAK:
Thank you very much! I went to the Canadian section of Fodor's and seem to get the same impression-skip Yarmouth. It is so hard for me to plan this trip. Everything in Maine sounds so great!