Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bar Harbor (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bar-harbor-137968/)

Nancy Jan 7th, 2002 06:59 AM

Bar Harbor

Is it worth spending 1 week in Bar Harbor - is there enough to do - should it be incorporated with other locations in New England?

Liz Jan 7th, 2002 07:30 AM

Yes-if you like outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, kyaking. If you're "sightseeing", a week might be too long.

Cheryl Jan 7th, 2002 07:39 AM

I lived in New Brunswick, Canada for a few years, and travelled to Bar Harbor sevaral times. It's a quaint, little town, with several shoppes, and outdoor cafe's. If you like the outdoors, you can hike around Acadia National Park - very pretty. There are lots of charming Bed and Breakfasts in the area, and don't forget to take a whale watching tour. A week in my opinion is a bit long...perhaps 3-4 days at the most. (Don't forget to sample the local blueberry jam and if you're a lobster fan, they have lobster ice cream!)

Dottie Jan 7th, 2002 09:50 AM

How about incorporating The Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick? It has tides of 40 ft. I think they are the highest tides in the world. YOu can walk on the sea bottom when the tide is out...come back when they are in and it is just awesome. You now have 40ft of water. You could also go the other way and towards Kennebunkport (sp?) and Martha's Vineyard.

xxx Jan 7th, 2002 01:42 PM

rob Jan 8th, 2002 06:35 AM

can only agree w/ the above. we did a 4 day bar harbor/4 day boston trip...4 days was good for BH... 1 day biking carriage roads; 2 days hiking acadia; 1 day driving around and a trip to cadillac mtn. actually i wish we had spent more time in BH instead of boston (w/ day trips to salem, provincetown etc..) bar harbor itself is a very small town and theres not much to do there....our whale watching tour was canceled due to fog.

jersey Feb 21st, 2002 02:36 PM

We've been there twice. Three days is enough for us combined with visits to other spots.It depends if you enjoy the outdoors, biking, hiking, etc. We have visited Camden Maine, Freeport for Shopping, & Rockport. It just depends what your're looking for- lighthouses, nature, shops, etc.. A trip worth taking is an overnight stay in Boothbay Harbor.Take the Balmy Seas boat ride to Monhegan Island for the day. What a beautiful day. We saw a whale on our trip there, seals playing on the rocks,ate lunch atop a 165 foot cliff overlooking the water(although there are restaurants), and explored the artists' galleries on the island. You will love it.

Leslie Feb 21st, 2002 03:25 PM

3 days is probably enough in Bar Harbor if you want to rest and walk and enjoy the vistas. I suggest coming south and staying in Camden for a day, and then staying in Damariscotta for a day (drive to New Harbor where the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is located) or stay at one of the two inns at Pemaquid Point, and then drive further south to Boothbay Harbor and stay there for a day or two.<BR><BR>If you do go to Pemaquid Point, go into the village of New Harbor and have a lobster dinner at Shaw's. If you ever saw the movie starring Kevin Costner and Robin Penn (Sean Penn's wife) about North Carolina, the coastal segments were actually filmed in New Harbor.

Leslie Feb 21st, 2002 03:27 PM

Me again -- I think the movie was called "Time in a Bottle" or something similar to that. <BR><BR>Also while you are at Acadia, make sure you take a tour with a park ranger. The tours are free.