Bangor to Quebec City by car Aug 17

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Bangor to Quebec City along Highway 201, then 173, then the 73 into Quebec City (we will have been on a boat for a week prior). Anyone have experience in this drive, i.e. how long it will take with minimal stops? Any site-seeing that we shouldn't miss? Would love to see a moose of course! What is the terrain like? I've read that it is one of Maine's most scenic routes. AAA says it's 283 miles. We are from California and don't mind the driving; just want to know what to expect! Thx ahead of time for input!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM

It is about 5 hours from Portland, so I would expect 4 - 4.5 from Bangor. 201 is a good road, sweeping curves along the river but nothing too crazy. Giffords Ice Cream in Skowhegan might be a good stop. After Skowhegan you won't find much on the road, even at the border. 201 is known as "Moose Alley" and I would be surprised if you don't see one somewhere along the way. Early morning and late afternoon are best, of course. There isn't much to do along the way, but a stop at the Jackman border crossing can be fun. If you're coming back that way save a few Canadian $ for the duty free shop - maple syrup, etc. Have fun, Quebec City is marvelous!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:25 PM

If you have time you should detour off and see the Moosehead Lake area . Well worth your time. You might not see a Moose, but at least you'll get to see the famous Maine road signs:
http://www.afoolintheforest.com/imag...oose_crash.jpg

http://www.liveworkdream.com/wp-cont..._moosesign.jpg
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

We've decided to try and get in on a short rafting trip on the Kennebec/Dead Rivers with one of the outfits around Two Forks! Contacted Moxie today; waiting for response from them!
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 02:59 AM

Try Northern Outdoors for rafting. They also have places to spend the night. Have fun!