Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Baltimore/Washington DC question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/baltimore-washington-dc-question-733418/)

nvl325 Sep 1st, 2007 11:10 AM

Baltimore/Washington DC question

Hi,
coming to the area in a couple weeks- will be going to a baseball game on a Thurs night in Baltimore with friends; need to be in DC by Sat afternoon. Will then be spending a few more days in DC.

Question- we can get a ride to DC that night with our friends (will have to find a hotel in DC), or we can stay in Baltimore until Fri or Sat and then go to DC. If we did that, would spending time in Baltimore make sense (vs being in DC the whole time)?

I know there's that nice Inner Harbor area to explore (is that where the museum is?)- but if we stay in Baltimore how will we get to DC? Didn't think we'd want a car once we get to DC- assume hotel parking is expensive as it seems to be most places! Am happy to use the metro, but would like to visit Mt Vernon if it's not too much of a hassle.

So I guess my question is, stay in Baltimore,

nvl325 Sep 1st, 2007 11:14 AM

oops, sorry, hit the wrong button!

to continue: stay in Baltimore (would like ideas on what to do) or go straight to DC? And how do we get to DC- car or how else? Do we want a car in DC?

thanks!

gail Sep 1st, 2007 11:27 AM

There is train service between Baltimore and DC.

Inner Harbor hotels on nights that Orioles are in town are expensive and difficult to come by - we ended up paying almost $300 for one room on short notice for the Holiday Inn.

So check out hotels and rates as you make your decision.

rkkwan Sep 1st, 2007 11:36 AM

To me, the simplest and most reasonable way is to stay in Baltimore on Thursday night, and go down to DC leisurely on Friday. Wouldn't you think?

clueless Sep 1st, 2007 11:42 AM

Only if you take the train. Traffic is hellish on Fridays.

Devonmcj Sep 1st, 2007 01:14 PM

You won't necessarily need a car to visit Mt. Vernon from DC. There are a couple of boat trips that will take you there and back. The fall is a nice time of year for a Potomac cruise.

http://tinyurl.com/2nhgum

polaris Sep 1st, 2007 05:14 PM

We get enough bad raps in Baltimore, but..."is that where the museum is?" whoa, we have many ...art, science, nautical, historical etc. So, please be more specific!

nvl325 Sep 1st, 2007 06:28 PM

mea culpa, polaris- I mean the art museum.

If we take the train, do we take a cab to the station, then the train goes to- downtown DC? Meaning near where the hotels/museums etc are? I want to minimize cost- but is that going to end up being less than a cab, which I saw on another posting as being around $50. Would like to balance the price against how long it takes, how much a hassle, etc.

Cruise to Mt Vernon sounds great, but it starts at 8 am- will have to think about whether we can make that with the time change from California!

Am thinking it would be nice to spend Thurs night in Baltimore, and most of the day Friday, heading down to DC by train on Friday late afternoon. I get that we don't want to be on the road then, but is the train reasonable at Friday rush hour? (I guess I should say hours!) Maybe Sat morning would be better...

rkkwan Sep 1st, 2007 06:48 PM

MARC trains run from Baltimore Penn Station to Washington Union Station Monday to Friday. Pretty frequent. Takes one hour and cost $7 each way.

www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/

Washington Union Station is served by metro. And taxi isn't that expensive within DC as it uses a zone system.

patg Sep 1st, 2007 07:50 PM

Personally, I would take the free ride and spend the extra time in DC. Especially with a trip to Mt. Vernon, you can find things to do there for a week or more.

bluestructure Sep 1st, 2007 08:56 PM

If you stay near Inner Harbor, you don't have to go to Penn Station for Marc train. There is a Baltimore/Camden stop right outside Oriole baseball park. I wouldn't leave during the rush crowds & always expect delays. Other than that, I would spend a morning in Baltimore harbor and ride down in early afternoon on Marc. You can't beat the price.