Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Baltimore to South Hampton by car -- seeking advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/baltimore-to-south-hampton-by-car-seeking-advice-801710/)

gladtotravel Aug 18th, 2009 05:31 AM

Baltimore to South Hampton by car -- seeking advice

Do I have any options other than 95 to the New Jersey Turnpike to Verazzano Bridge to LIE?
I was specifically wondering if there was a ferry I hadn't heard of. I'm doing all the driving (and we will need a car with us) and I dread this trip but it's big birthday party for close friend. Thanks!

SusieQQ Aug 18th, 2009 05:46 AM

Don't know of any ferries, but I wouldn't take the LIE, but would keep to the south and take the Belt Pkwy to Sunrise Highway.

christabir Aug 18th, 2009 06:57 AM

I avoid the Belt Pkwy like the plague. I go through the city - Lincoln or Holland Tunnel to the LIE or Grand Central. If you do go the Belt, get on the Southern State to Sunrise. Any way you go sucks - but it's for a friend, so enjoy.

jroth Aug 18th, 2009 10:00 AM

Having done this route quite a few times - and a lot depends on what day of the week you travel and time - I'd take Verazzano to Belt to Cross Island to LIE -- yes - LIE. Despite bad raps it still is the best routing if your timing is right. Other choice is Belt into Southern State. Under no circumstances would I detour into the city adding mileage, wrestling with tunnel traffic, city traffic, et al. Yes - there are times when the Belt can be backed up - but as a a rule traffic moves pretty well.

mclaurie Aug 19th, 2009 01:33 PM

Agree with jroth that day of week/time of day will make a big difference. The Verazzano/Belt is just dreadful at times when people are going to/from the beach (either Jones or the Hamptons) or rush hours. If you can manage to do this at 10 pm-2 am, it's a lot better.

weimarer Aug 19th, 2009 03:32 PM

I suppose if you were not in a hurry you could avoid the NJ/NYC area entirely and go up 83 to 81 to Scranton, then over on 84 to Danbury and down to Bridgeport, CT and take that ferry across to LI. No personal experiene with that other than the route to Danbury, which should be an easy 5 hours or so from Baltimore.

nytraveler Aug 19th, 2009 04:22 PM

No ferries. Avoid the LIE like the plague - why go all the way north to come back south again? Just stick with the southern as far as you can - then Sunrise. The key is your timing. Don;t do on a Friday between noon and 9 pm - or any night during rush hour.

sf7307 Aug 19th, 2009 04:25 PM

Do you have to drive? I'd fly to Islip (Southwest) and rent a car.

michelle8293 Aug 20th, 2009 02:57 AM

i agree that the Belt pkwy would be the most practical, not that it is without many tie ups(beach traffic,reg traffic and you might have to wait for a bridge to go up and down) Like they said, timing is everything! If you haven't been to NY before, i do think that taking one way on the BQE (brooklyn queens expsy) is a beautiful drive- seeing the NY skyline from Brooklyn is fantastic. good luck enjoy. get some good music

jroth Aug 20th, 2009 05:54 PM

Michelle - I just have to say: this is the first time I have seen the BQE described as a "beautiful drive" - ok - that strip under the Promenade at Brooklyn Heights does render for a couple of minutes a view of the skyline - but if you're driving - keep your eye on the road - not the scenery. Anyway - coming from Baltimore - why on earth would you be tackling BQE traffic on its way into Manhattan? That's why they built the Belt a zillion years ago - to skirt around all that stuff - and it is most direct to Long Isalnd from the Verrazano.