Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   BALTIMORE SHERATON INNER HARBOR HOTEL (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/baltimore-sheraton-inner-harbor-hotel-407417/)

GBRBEB Mar 6th, 2004 03:26 AM

BALTIMORE SHERATON INNER HARBOR HOTEL

We have booked the Sheraton Inner Harbor hotel for 4 days in June. Will be going to the Oriole/Yankee game on a Thursday night. We booked hotel because it excepts pets..Can anyone tell me anything about the hotel ? Is it within safe walking distance to Camden Yards ? As game will probably around 10PM or later I was concerned about safety, Ill be with my 8 year old...Any thoughts, ideas are greatly appreciated. Other than the Inner Harbour attractions is there anything else to do wit an 8 year old. Thanks

gail Mar 6th, 2004 04:21 AM

Do not know this specific hotel - but we stayed at the Wyndham Inner Harbor 2 years ago. Walked to Camden Yards for night game - no safety concerns - there are lots of people about. The Inner Harbor Hotels are all walkable to Camden Yards. Good and interesting food in the ballpark - eat there instead of before the game. Try to have a good time, even though the Yankees will surely lose (disclaimer - Red Sox fan)

Our kids were 11 and 15 at the time. We found about a day and a half worth of things to do in Inner Harbor area - had fun - but that was enough. Took a Duck Tour, road the water taxis, went to Ft. McHenry.

If not for the pet you mentioned, I would consider taking a day or 2 trip to DC. But I don't think that is practical with a pet.

cdfev Mar 6th, 2004 04:40 AM

We stayed at this hotel 2 years ago on a trip to Baltimore. It's a nice hotel and fits into the "standard" Sheraton title. This is more of a businessman's hotel than a resort. The area is okay and many restaurants are walkable from the area. The aquarium is walkable and yes, Camden Yards is walkable (probably between 1/4 to 1/2 mile).

emd Mar 6th, 2004 04:47 AM

I've stayed at that Sheraton a few times. It is literally down the block from Camden Yards, easy walk, great location for that. The hotel was renovated a few yrs ago somewhat, not a complete overhall (maybe all rooms, not sure, but lobby areas did not seem to be done). Alot of business people stay there as well as tourists. Nothing specail, the standard Sheraton fare, but good for your location need and close to Inner Harbor (but not on it.) I would highly recommend taking the 8 yr old to the Maryland Science Museum on the same side of the Inner Harbor you'll be on, walkign distance. Greeat museum fo rkids, lots of hand on things to do. One time we went, the had a huge area on floor w/fossils embedded in sand, and my kids learned hand on what archeologists do. They LOVED this place at that age. It will be fun for you too, good exhibits for adults, one i saw was on glass-blwoing and one on jazz instruments and the science of musical sound. Be sure to go to some of the live shows, they have a resident "mad scientist" who does cool demonstrations. Easily could spend a whole day there. We live close to D.C. ut always had a membership at that museum when kids were young, we went 3 times a yr. Of course there is the famous and excellent Natl. Aquarium, a full day also. Have not found a better one in the U.S., and we are aquarium fans. Catch the dolphim show in the really big indoor dolphin stadium pool area. The aquarium is further down the harbor area but if it is nice outside you can walk it. You will love Camden Yards, it is such a great ballpark. Orioles and Yankees at Camden Yards, I'm jealous!

hotdogz Mar 6th, 2004 05:29 AM

Another thing to do with an 8 year old is Port Discovery

emd Mar 6th, 2004 05:45 AM

Is that still open? I thought it closed. We used to have a membership there also.

uhoh_busted Mar 6th, 2004 05:52 AM

Baltimore is a great place and you will find plenty to do. If you like Camden Yards, (and I expect you will, it is gorgeous) you might see about taking a tour...they do a fantastic job. I think you can find out about tour availabilty, etc on the Orioles home page. I don't think you can take your pet to the game, or the museum or the aquarium, or on any of the tours of ships that might be in the harbor (there are a couple that are always there...but if the Tall Ships happen to be crusing through, they also open up for tours).

GandE Mar 6th, 2004 06:38 AM

Definitely no safety problem after a baseball game. And, there is a high police/security presence in the Inner Harbor area.

All of the above suggestions are great. Be prepared, however, for the Harbor to be crowded. Not only because of the time of year, but especially because it is a baseball weekend. One nice feature about the aquiarium is that when you buy your entrance ticket, you have an assigned time to arrive for admission. That way, the crowds can be spaced out rather large groups entering together. Since there are so many bus trips that go to the harbor for the day, this is important.

There is a tall ship cruise you can take. I think the name of the boat is the Clipper City. I just love it. Fort McHenry is very interesting.

One of the pavillions is devoted primarily to food and have a very large food court. I'm sure this will be a good dining style for you with an 8 yr old rather than a formal sit down dinner for each meal.

A nice feature about Camdem Yards is that they let you take food and soft drinks into the park. There are lots of vendors right outside the park selling soda, water, peanuts, hotdogs, etc. The game you are going to will be crowded, so this helps you avoid some lines as well as saving a few bucks. While the park does have good food, you may encounter long lines, so keep that in mind when you are deciding whether to eat before the game or during it.

Go O's! (hate those Yankees!)

emd Mar 6th, 2004 07:04 AM

GBRBEB: If you are wondering about food and stuff in the park-- don't know where you are coming from and if you get BBQ there or like it or not, but Boog's BBQ is good. And there's good shopping in the park (a whole regular size store) for baseball souveniers, jackets, hats, memorabilia, and kids stuff. And the beer is really good, lots of varieties and local microbrews. I think you can even get crabcakes in the park (we've had them but I can't recall if it is just on the corporate club level that we've been fortunate enough to sit in w/husband's work a few times, or if they have them at the regular stands too- but if they do, they are good.) You'll be impressed, it is definitely more than a hotdog, coke, and a keyring ballpark. Man, this is making me really hungry for baseball season! BTW- the players and former players who are guests of honor at the park the day you are there will sometimes show up for photos and autographs after the game, outside the park entrance on the parking lot side, to the right of the entrance when you exit- you'll see the kids waiting.

GandE Mar 6th, 2004 07:08 AM

Just thought of something else. You can do a tour of Camdem Yards. My husband did one of these tours when he was in Boston, and now says he wants to do one at every park we go to. But, because there will be games while you are there, the tours may not be available.

The Duck Tours are really fun. You may want to look into booking that in advance. Seating is limited and they do sell out. I've done the one in Pittsburgh twice.

Judy24 Mar 6th, 2004 10:03 AM

I believe that the closest hotel to Camden Yards is the Marriott Inner Harbor on S. Eutaw, but as others have already mentioned, several other hotels, including the Sheraton are certainly still walkable.

mclaurie Mar 6th, 2004 10:35 AM

Having just come home from my first trip (as an adult)with my dog I will warn you-double check with the hotel about pet rules. Will they allow you to leave the pet alone in the room while you're out? If they do, will your pet stay there alone without barking/howling? (mine wouldn't &amp; I had no warning this would happen. I discovered he <i>would</i> stay in our car alone.) Check whether there's an extra fee.

GBRBEB Mar 7th, 2004 04:27 AM

Thanks for all this wonderful info. We are driving down from Jersey on a Thurdsday and we wil stay the weekend....This is all great stuff...

Any good family friendly restaurants in Little Italy ?

emd Mar 7th, 2004 04:55 AM

What an awful tragedy about the water taxi boat capsizing yesterday. This hits very close to home- I'm sure alot of us who answered your post have been on those water taxis ourselves. We should have a moment of silence for the travelers who did not make it out of the water alive.

SamH Mar 7th, 2004 04:56 AM

The Sheraton is within walking distance to Camden Yards. You will find plenty of families in the area before and after the game so I would think that safety should not be a top concern.
There are plenty of fun restaruants and shopping close by also.
Ohh..by the way..I hate the Yankees too

GBRBEB Mar 7th, 2004 05:57 AM

Well, I guess most people hate the yankees but thats the way it is. We were decideng between a weekend in Boston or Baltimore. Now Boston is a great town but Fenway park is not a place that I would bring my eight year old. We were hoping that the fans in Baltimore would be more civil to fans for the visiting team. Even though I grew up in most of my life in NJ I am a Marylander at heart because I spent some of my formative years (and best years) in a little town called Clinton, MD. But anyway, all of these responses are great and are a lot of help and I am sure that my family will have a great weekend in Baltimore...

Note: Is Obrickis (not sure if I am spelling it correctly) still open ?

gail Mar 7th, 2004 07:06 AM

When we were at Camden Yards 2 years ago, fan behavior was not an issue - there were hadrly any fans in attendance. What a shame - such a nice ballpark with such low attendance (maybe it will change now that Orioles are trying to build a better team - and with Yankees in town attendance should be up)

As far as kids at Fenway - my kids have been going there with us for years - a few rowdies in the bleachers, but well controlled and policed. Last year a guy 2 rows in front of us was quickly ejected for foul language. You would have to explain to your kid what Yankees SxxK means