Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Baltimore Help Please!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/baltimore-help-please-97941/)

Gail Dec 30th, 2000 05:37 PM

Baltimore Help Please!!

My family is traveling to Baltimore on Friday, stayimg at Admiral Fell Inn at Fell's Point- taking 7 year old for first time at Aquarium- Where else to go and eat?? Have a reliable sitter for Sat. nite, is Damino's(sp) still good? Any suggestions? Haven't found a great website, any help greatly appreciated!

xxx Dec 30th, 2000 05:53 PM

Stay away from Baltimore - too many negroes.

Diane Dec 31st, 2000 07:28 AM

Here's some USEFUL information: <BR>You may want to check out this means of transportation between sites - www.thewatertaxi.com Do you mean Da Mimmo or Dalesio's? I have to admit when we go to Little Italy, we usually just check out the menu and note how busy a place is (as well as if patrons are having fun) before we chose. Never had a "miss" yet. Try to avoid most of the Inner Harbor restaurants, however McCormick & Schmicks at Pier 5 is really quite good for seafood. We had our office "holiday lunch" there and were very pleased with the food and service. It's a big place, but with lots of little nooks and many places with views of the waterfront. Some other "site-related" websites to try: www.borail.org www.baltimore.org I assume the Baltimore Sun would also have a good webpage, but don't know the url off the top of my head. Fell's Point is a good location to explore from.

Jim Dec 31st, 2000 07:35 AM

I've stayed in Baltimore three times for conferences and enjoyed each visit. I like the Mount Vernon Square (I think that's what it's called at least) area. After staying at the Hyatt and Renaissance hotels, last time I booked the Clarion and found it to be the best. You can walk easily to the Inner Harbor but you're far enough away from the real touristy parts of the city.

rudy Dec 31st, 2000 09:17 AM

Gail, <BR> <BR>I don't know if your seven year old is male or female, but the ESPN Zone might be a fun place for a child. Lots of activity (and noise!), and food to eat. If your child ice skates, try doing that at the outside rink in the Inner Harbor. The shops and activities in the Inner Harbor have appeal and food for all ages and desires. Also, if you're staying for the weekend, you might try calling Oriole Park at Camden Yards to see if they're having any tours of the baseball stadium. They take you into the clubhouse, where you can see the locker rooms and facilities, and they show you how lights, etc. operate.

Gail Dec 31st, 2000 06:39 PM

Wow thank ya'll so much for the infomation, esp. Rudy (girl. I think she'd love it...) and Diane- Diane, it's DaMinno's- where else would you suggest? Last time we were there, they sent a car for us- Really a nice service and the meal was very good. Thanks again!

Diane Jan 1st, 2001 07:14 AM

Yep - they still have the car service to and from hotels. If you want to phone ahead for a reservation (esp on a Sat night) DaMimmo's number is 410-727-6876. Bundle up! It's been really cold here. The Maryland Science Center is pretty entertaining for a 7-year old. There is a good bit of hands-on stuff, and an I-Max theater.

Edye Jan 1st, 2001 12:30 PM

Hi I am a mom and Baltimorean. Can't believe no one mentioned Port Discovery to you which is a great big kids museum just off the INner Harbor and 7 is the perfect age to really enjoy the exhibits and activities which vary from a huge indoor climbing net to art activities and science projects. A definite must do in conjunction with the Aquarium and Science Center. Aldo's is another excellent restaurant in Little Italy. There are also good choices in Fells Point, including Louisiana, which was just voted best new restaurant of the year in the Sunpaper, and Charleston. It is still quite cold as mentioned so do bundle up.If you go to Louisiana on saturday night (1/6)come upstairs to our party of 11 and introduce yourself! I know they would pick you up also. Stay away from Mt Vernon- there is nothing to do there on a cold winter weekend day with a child except go the Walters Art Gallery which is not interesting for kids. The better art museum is the Balto Museum of Art near Hopkins University. Enjoy!