Baltimore for an afternoon....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way to get around, distances. Walk or public transportation??

Flying into BWI, taking light rail to Penn Station and dropping off luggage for a few hours. Will start from Penn Station.

Destinations:
1. Fell's Point, 2. Lexington Market, 3.Little Italy, 4. Mt. Vernon & visit Poe's grave (Westminster Church) & 5. Inner Harbor.

Is this the right order?

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM

If you wish to cut out any of those places, I would cut Lexington Market. Kind of a waste of time. You'd get better eats in Little Italy or Fells Point.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM

You really couldn't walk from Penn Station to Fell's Point. If you had really comfortable shoes and a lot of time (it doesn't seem like you have a lot of time) and good weather, you could *in theory* walk from Penn Station to Mt. Vernon to the Inner Harbor, take a water taxi to Fell's Point and then back the Inner Harbor, and then walk over to Little Italy.

However, that would take a lot of walking, a lot of time, and may not be the safest thing to do in certain neighborhoods, especially if you're walking through more deserted neighborhoods or after dark.

From Penn Station, take light rail back to Lexington Market (not that much interesting anymore), walk to Poe's Grave at Fayette and Greene, then over and down to the Inner Harbor. Time permitting, take the water taxi to/from Fell's Point. If you're hungry and time permits, walk/cab to Little Italy (which is the least of your destinations other than Lexington Market).

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the directions. FYI, I won't be spending a lot of time at the LM. I already know what to expect.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:59 PM

I disagree re: eats (i.e., don't pass up Lexington Market). Got there & have the absolutely incomparable crab cakes (jumbo lump) at Faidley's. http://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/ I usually buy some & give them as gifts to my hosts when I travel -- invariably, they become customers (Faidley's ships by overnight delivery).

From LM, catch the subway over to Shot Tower (2 stops), then either walk or take a quick taxi to Fells Point. I'm partial to Kooper's Tavern for a drink: http://www.koopers.com/ It's right across the street from the building that was the stationhouse on Homicide: Life on the Street.

When will you be in Baltimore? The weather is great this time of year.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:20 AM

A friend of mine & I spent an afternoon in Baltimore from Penn Station not too long ago.

Took Light Rail to Lexington Market (I still think the market is an interesting experience, esp. if you're lucky enough to catch a show). Walked to the Inner Harbor from there, went to Federal Hill (another great area) and got some codcakes & calamari at the Cross Street Market. From there, walked through downtown, Mount Vernon back to Penn Station. A nice afternoon.

You could alternatively have as lovely a visit by taking the water taxi to Fell's Point from the Inner Harbour. Subway to Shot Tower from Lexington Market is another great idea.

Cheers, DAN
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Here's a good interactive map to give you an idea of distances/locations:

http://www.baltimore.to/Maps/index.html
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all!

Will be in Baltimore, latter part of May. Picking up a day pass for the transportation part of it.

Someone already recommended getting crabcakes @ Faidley's. Yum. Can't wait to go there.

Kooper's Tavern across from Homicide stationhouse, it's already on my list.

Federal Hill, forgot to mention I want to go there too. Cross St. Market: codcakes & calamari, good suggestion!

Plan on taking the water taxi to Fell's Point.

Shot Tower? Never heard of that before. What exactly is it?

TO dcdame, thanks for the Google map. I'm still waiting for one from MD transportation authority!
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:31 AM

Glad to offer suggestions mesolo

Shot Tower/Market Place is the name of the subway stop that's closest to Little Italy, and it's situated maybe 2 blocks north of the eastern edge of the Inner Harbour. I remember there is something called the "Shot Tower" but I'm not sure what it is.... I don't think it's something that visitors go out of their way to check out...

It is possible to walk from the Inner Harbor to Fell's Point along the waterfront. When I left in 2002, much of the walk east is a pleasant enough marina, but the last stretch was a bit industrial and one had to walk through a gravelly parking lot approaching Fell's Point. I heard the city was planning on connecting the two entirely with handsome walkways but don't know if it's been done yet. I used to do this walk as a variation from the water taxi.

Cheers and have a great time in Charm City!

DAN