Reload this Page >

Scottsdale/Chandler restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Milton

I'll be visiting friends who live in Chandler and Scottsdale, AZ and would appreciate some restaurant suggestions. I'm looking for a southwestern restaurant, moderately priced (between $15-$25/person) that will welcome a group of 9. Our group is diverse in age: a couple in their 70s, 3 in their late 40s-early 50s and 2 teenagers. Any help would be much appreciated. I leave for AZ in a week. Mahalo!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:09 AM
yyy

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you feel the need to ask for recommendations from complete strangers when you've just stated that you will be visiting friends in those areas. Wouldn't the logical thing be to ask THEM?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Milton

Well, I planned to surprise them with several suggestions when a place for dinner pops up in our conversation. I've had such good suggestions in the past with various travel-related questions at this site. Aloha anyway!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Jeanette

Sorry you received such an unhelpful response before. Consider these:

Blue Adobe Grill, but preferably the Mesa location.

Carlsbad Tavern in South Scottsdale. Hotter and a bit nicer, but also a bit more expensive. But still reasonable.

Both are New Mexican -- not standard Sonoran Mexican. I'm Not sure what you mean by Southwestern, but here are some other of this general genre:

Roaring Fork (note it has a new location so call for the correct address). Robert McGrath's award winning "SW" cuisine and it's excellent. Not overpriced, and considering the quality, I would certainly call it moderately priced. Scottsdale.

Los Sombreros Mexican. Authentic mexican, not chimi's and burritos. Think carne asada, nopalito salad and mole's. South scottsdale, and inexpensive. Fun atmosphere, can get crowded.

All these places will welcome a group of nine, but call ahead for reservations. Unless all enjoy hot food, I'd pass on Carlsbad Tavern (though I really like the place).

Enjoy yourself.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:00 AM
sue

I have a great suggestion for you, a restaurant called Z'Tejas (pronounced zee-tay-hahs). They have a few locations, Scottsdale, Tempe, and one that is a few miles west of Chandler on Ray Rd., I think. I really love their food.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM
steve

For Mexican rather than southwestern, try Los Olivos in downtown scottsdale. Groups no problem - last time i went we had 18.

In south Tempe (near chandler) there is a great Italian restaurant - Longitano's located at McClintock & Elliot. Excellent food for a very reasonale price

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:54 PM
karen

While visiting family in Scottsdale, we ate at Desert Moon Grill. Great southwestern food, good variety, and they have a great drink called the Desert Moon martini (only drink one, it hits hard). Among the 6 of us at dinner, we ordered chilean sea bass, crab cakes, tornedos of beef, pasta primavera, some veal dish and tuna. I tasted every one and they were all great. Nice atmosphere too!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Coco

In the north Scottsdale area, you may want to try "La Hacienda" for southwestern food located at the beautiful Princess Resort.

Enjoy your stay.

Coco

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Coco

Another rest. I forgot to mention and they have both in Chandler and N. Scottdale. It is "The Barcelona" restaurant. Mainly later at night and on weekends, the 20 to 40 yr. old crowd liven's up the place after 10 p.m.
If you like Tapas (appetizers) they have happy hour in the early evening.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:16 PM
ben

Don't understand the big deal about Los Olivos - I thought it rather run down with a big screen TV in the middle of the dining room. It didn't seem festive to me and the food was very average.

Am I missing something?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Snarla

-Z Tejas is a good call for a consistently good meal. I think they have a website.
-I just ate at Roaring Fork this weekend. It can't be beat. It's on the higher end of your price scale.
-My absolute fave is Richardson's. It's in central Phoenix so that might not be what you're looking for, but it's tops.

**Desert Moon is closed for rennovations.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 08:56 AM
richardson

snarla,thank you very much, you made my morning.