Balloon Festival 2005-Best place to stay?

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balloon Festival 2005-Best place to stay?

We are planning to go to the 2005 Balloon Festival in NM this year. Would like to stay in a NICE hotel in a nice area. Should we stay in Sante Fe and drive to Albuquerque, or maybe try the Hyatt Tamaya Resort, or maybe just stay at the Hyatt in Albuquerque, NM? I'm gettig mixed reviews about the Hyatt in Albuquerque. How far is Sante Fe from Albuquerque? Really don't want to stay in a depressing area.... Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:50 AM
mei

I think Tamaya is a good location for traveling to the Fiesta...you'll be coming from the North, opposite of most of the balloon traffic. No need to stay in Santa Fe. Tamaya is really nice, but make sure you visit Albuquerque and Santa Fe. There are a lot of interesting things to see in both cities. The ballon fiesta is over pretty early each day, so you'll have plenty of time each day to explore.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

mei-Thanks for your reply. I received a similar recommendation from another post about the Hyatt Resort... Seems like the place to stay... Thanks again..
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gail, I also answered this question on your other post.

Santa Fe is an hour from Albq, an easy drive but not one you want to do for the balloon fiesta as so many of the events are early in the morning or late at night.

If you can book a room at the Tamaya resort by all means do so. It's a nice property and you will enjoy your stay there.

Downtown Albq is not a depressing place but it's certainly not Manhatten. It's a small area that is primarily a workplace by day and not that much of a destination at night. That's changing.

Albq doesn't have a ton of really upscale properties. The downtown Hyatt is considered one of the nicer places if that gives you a perspective.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:48 PM

I am also going to the Balloon Festival 2005 and haved been researching available hotels..I found :
Marriott Albuquerque Pyramid North
Does anyone know anything about this hotel?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Not much, except that it looks like a nice property and is close to the park. You might want to check www.tripadvisor.com for ratings.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Hi leeandsharri,

I booked the Marriot Pyramid months ago for the Balloon Fiesta. tripadvisor has only 2 or 3 average reviews. I did inquire about shuttle and I got the following response:

>> THE CITY OF ALBUQUERQUE PROVIDES SHUTTLE SERVICE TO AND FROM THE FIESTA.
>> THE BUS STOPS AT THE HOTEL. YOU CAN PREARRANGE TRANSPORTATION THROUGH
>> THE FRONT DESK.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:03 AM

If it was me I would choose Tamaya Resort, hands down. One cool thing about the Pyramid though is that you'll have fantastic views as it is close to the balloon fiesta park. One of the mornings you might want to avoid traffic and the crowds and watch the mass ascension right out of your hotel window if you are facing the right direction, which would be sort of north and west. Santa Fe is nice, but I agree with obxgirl that even though Santa Fe is only an hour away, you're going to have to leave no later than 5:00-5:30 am to make it down to the mass ascension in time. I don't recommend the Hyatt downtown if your sole reason for coming to Albuquerque is the Balloon Fiesta. I've stayed there and it's nice, but I can assure you that it does not compare to the Tamaya resort. Also, it's not close to the park, and even if you see some balloons from your hotel, given that you're in a high enough room, they will be specks in the sky. Traffic will also be 10 times better going to and from the park if you stay at Tamaya vs. downtown. You can always go and have dinner downtown and be sure to shop in Old Town and grab a bite there too.
One last word of advice: If you're driving while there are balloons in the sky, please drive defensively as there have been many a car wreck due to people staring at the balloons rather than the road.
It's such an awesome sight, I know you will love it!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM

Don't stay in Santa Fe - too far! There are plenty of good places in Albuquerque. We ended up staying at a very so-so motel (a Super 8 out by the interstate, I think) but even that wasn't bad, and the traffic into the park wasn't too terrible. Of course, I'm an early bird, so I DID get up early.... You'll love the festival - I've done a lot of traveling and photography, but that's one of the most fantastic experiences I can remember. I went about 3 or 4 years ago. I'm thinking of going again this year, which is how I happened on this site and question. If you're a photographer, takes lots and lots of media or film. It's really fantastic.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:22 PM

Turned out that the shuttle service cost $30/person/session ... OUCH. It turned out to be an easy commute from the Pyramid to the park ... and we even walked once .... distance not an that big of an issue, but crossing 2 major streets at night can be ....

All in all, the Balloon Fiesta is worth a couple of days and not to be missed for the balloon people.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM

This past fall we stayed at Casa Entrada in Corrales, which is just north of Albuquerque - kind of like a suburb would be in a larger city. It was very nice, reasonably priced, and only about 10 minutes to Balloon Fiesta Park. Corrales is horsy country. It might not be that convenient if you want to be "downtown" for sightseeing, but for the fiesta, it was perfect. Added bonuses were that a balloonist set up in the field next to the B&B, and from the B&B you could see tons of balloons.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Great info roothy ....

Perhaps you can describe the early AM / or PM traffic to/from the park from where you were located. The only reason that I chose to stay close to the park and in the city was the traffic concerns ....
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:07 AM

What are the dates of the baloon festival? Sounds great....

8-)
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:12 AM

The 2006 ballon fiesta is scheduled for October 6-15.

I would also be interested in an overview of early AM traffic into the park, particularly coming from the South. What time did you arrive and what was the traffic like then? Thanks.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

We enjoyed the Balloon Fiesta in October and took the shuttle from one of the mall parking lots (can't remember which one). I highly recommend it as traffic is horrendous!! , and you can save time having to stand on line in the parking lot at 6am if you purchase your shuttle bus tickets online in advance. Just a suggestion.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Basically, there is only one entrance into Balloon Fiesta Park unless you pay extra for VIP tickets. Traffic is heavy and very slow since everyone is trying to get into the park before sunrise.

Gail's recommendation of taking the Park and Ride bus is excellent, especially if you don't live here. Bookmark www.balloonfiesta.com for more information. Park and Ride info is under "Guest Guide."

Lee Ann
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Park and ride is the way to go, imo. I've driven myself and have taken the park-n-ride and it's much less of a hassle if you take the bus. You can depart from any of the three mall parking lots. Traffic isn't all that bad until you get closer to the park and then it takes at least 30 minutes to get through it and park. Plus, the buses have special access so they do not have to wait with all of the rest of the traffic. They breeze right through and drop you off right in front.

The balloon fiesta will always hold a special place in my heart as my husband-to-be proposed to me this past balloon fiesta up in a hot air balloon. We met for the first time last year on October 1st when he flew down to meet me and we went to the balloon fiesta. We didn't book a balloon ride at that time, but wished we had. So we decided that we would for the following year.

Anyway, he kept his word and we went on a balloon ride the following year, and on October 1st, a year to the day we met, he proposed! It was truly magical.

We're so happy! Though I won't be living in Albuquerque for much longer, we will attempt to attend the balloon fiesta every year for tradition.

Have fun at next year's balloon fiesta everyone and Happy New Year!

Lynn
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:22 AM

I forgot to mention that park and ride wasn't anywhere near $30. It was $10 or less a person round trip when I went last year. And it wasn't because we paid in advance, because we didn't. I'm not sure why DonnieD's tickets were so expensive.

I like the idea of staying in Corrales village for out of towners. You could park at the Cottonwood mall which is a short drive and then take the shuttle the rest of the way. This is the closest mall and shuttle service to the park. Also, balloons tend to land all over Corrales. Just be aware of equestrians as they have the right of way.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Ive been attending the Balloon Fiesta for 8 years now (moving next year so I dont mind giving out this info...) and have always used the VIP line. Its not just for VIPS..in fact after paying the extra parking fee for 2 years I figured this out by observing others doing the same. In the past, they split the line near the front and non VIP passes would go into the general parking lot (still much faster than entering from the highway!) but now most people must not pay the VIP parking and they now let you park up front. We park right next to the gate and enter thru one of 4 entrances--no line, no wait. I would never take the shuttle. Not only is it expensive but you will wait in a large line while everyone races to get to the bus at the same time. We are in the park in 20 mins or less and out just as quick....
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 11:42 AM

Just some pics from my trip .... Being there is much more awe-inspiring than the pics.

http://www.pbase.com/bigsac/balloon_fiesta&page=all

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -