Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Balboa Island/LA Area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/balboa-island-la-area-359953/)

paulalou Sep 20th, 2003 06:29 AM

Balboa Island/LA Area

Can anyone give me some information on Balboa Island. We are going out to visit our daughter in LA for a 5 days and heard that Balboa Island is a nice day trip.....any info out there for me?

ellen_griswold Sep 20th, 2003 09:30 AM

We were there this summer. Balboa Island is very nice but primarily residential with very little for tourists to do. (Unless we missed something?) You get to the island on a nondescript continuous running ferry.

The Fun Zone is located in the town of Balboa - from where you pick up the ferry to the island. It depends on what you're looking for. Our teens enjoyed the many souvenir shoppes and a couple rides and attractions.

We ALL enjoyed the Harbor Cruise which you pick up in the Fun Zone. We took both of the tours, each 45 minutes, which take you to both ends of the harbour.

Our Captain regaled us with stories of the rich and famous, from past and present residents. It was very enjoyable - and our groupie daughter got her hollywood 'fix', too. :)

There are more details in my TRIP REPORT from our 8th out west vacation, posted in july.

Have fun!

paulalou Sep 20th, 2003 10:08 AM

Thanks for your help!!! Any restaurants of notice on the island???

ellen_griswold Sep 20th, 2003 12:30 PM

Yes, i noticed a couple on the island but don't recall their names. RJ? Dwoodon? They were very helpful in this leg of our out-west / orange county vacation and would likely know names.

We had yummy pizza right on the waters edge, but in the town of Balboa on the mainland. The name escapes me, altho it would be hard to miss -- its right there.

winerycat Sep 20th, 2003 01:22 PM

Bayside Restaurant, overlooking the island is where locals "in the know" go. The food is considered one of the best in the whole area. They serve innovative American food with an emphasis on seafood--the Tiger Prawn Ceviche Cocktail is fab! If you sit on the terrace outside, you'll have a view of the harbor. Open for lunch or dinner. To see if this is right for you, check out their site at:
www.baysiderestaurant.com

On a much more casual level is The Crab Cooker, on the Balboa Peninsula. This charming place has been serving great seafood for years and is still as popular as ever. No reservations taken--first come, first served. Lunch or dinner, go early on week-ends, this place gets packed. To check out their website:
www.thecrabcooker.com.

Enjoy your trip!

welch Sep 20th, 2003 07:04 PM

I didn't think that adorable 3-5 car ferry was nondescript! It was one of the highlights (a very short highlight, of course) of our Orange County trip in May.

paulalou Sep 22nd, 2003 05:32 AM

From what I understand, it is truly not necessary to take your car over....is that correct??

audra Sep 22nd, 2003 05:52 AM

Oh gosh no, you don't have to take your car over. Its a tiny little 'dingy 'that holds several people and only a few cars, nothing to write home about. (That is, if you've ever been on a real ferry: think the Staten Island Ferry around Lady Liberty, or thru the Great Lakes etc)

Its takes maybe 3-5 minutes to get to the island. THen walk from there. However,the majority of stuff to do is on the mainland.