Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bakery in New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bakery-in-new-york-city-381389/)

scubadive Dec 9th, 2003 04:24 PM

Bakery in New York City

I am visiting New York next week and would like to bring home some bakery goodies. Virginia truly lacks bakeries of the sort that I remember from growing up in New York. Crumb buns, cheese buns and danish -- german style bakeries. Any suggestions! Thanks!

andy Dec 9th, 2003 05:09 PM

scuba- where in Va are you? We do have a couple of excellent bakeries here..

In NYC, Head over to Zabar's--and get the RUSSIAN coffee cake..they actually cut you the amount you want to buy from one huge flat cake..To DIE for!!

Bagels- at H and H Bagels..true NY bagels....

scubadive Dec 9th, 2003 05:29 PM

I'm on the Peninsula -- and believe me, there are none that can match a bagel or a kaiser roll or a crumb bun from New York. Thanks for the recommendations!

Gytha Dec 11th, 2003 01:42 AM

Andy please can you give me an address for Zabars?! That cake sounds gorgeous and I want to make it the first shop I go to when we get to NYC in April!!

Gytha

mclaurie Dec 11th, 2003 03:56 AM

2245 Broadway at 80th St (Subway: 1, 9 to 79th St).

Margie Dec 11th, 2003 04:00 AM

Zabar's is at 2245 Broadway (at 80th St.) on the West side. Store hours are Mon - Fri 8:00 am - 7:30 pm, Saturday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
and Sunday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm. If you can, try not to go on a saturday afternoon, it is VERY crowded. Also, try their black & white cookies (halfmoons) they are wonderful!

More information is at: http://www.zabars.com/welcome.html

syd1 Dec 11th, 2003 04:31 AM

Magnolia Bakery - for the best cupcakes in the world!
401 Bleecker
St New York, NY 10014-2452 Phone: (212) 462-2572

Tal Bagels - 90th and Broadway or 79th between 1st and 2nd Avenues and another one on 1st ave in the 50s for delicious black and white cookies, rugelach, and linzer tarts.

H&H Bagels - make this your last stop before the airport on 80th and Broadway. Ask for hot bagels. The entire plane will be begging you for one!

Have fun :)

syd1 Dec 11th, 2003 05:07 AM

Come to think of it, you can just march your way right up Broadway and get everything you need.
Start at H&H, then next door to Zabars, keep walking and you'll eventually hit (in 10 blocks) Tal Bagels. The first two are on the West side of the Street, the last stop is on the East side of the street. You'll have more bakery items than you know what to do with!

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 11th, 2003 07:46 AM

scubadive - I can't help you, but I can sympathize with you. I lived in Denbigh then Hidenwood back in the mid 70's and was quite disappointed with the Peninsula's bakeries. Good luck finding "goodies" to bring back something that will be a real treat for your friends and family (should you decide to share!)

scubadive Dec 11th, 2003 08:18 AM

Thanks to everyone for the response! It will be a wonderful treat at Christmas. Thanks!

Gytha Dec 11th, 2003 11:28 AM

Oh dear, oh dear. I think I'd better start dieting now so I can get down to 6stone and then pile on the pounds at all these fantastic sounding bakeries!! Hmmm.... I wonder if they could post me some samples??!!?

Gytha

Gothampc Dec 11th, 2003 01:14 PM

There are two great Italian bakeries on Bleecker Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenue. Their desserts are decadent.

mclaurie Dec 11th, 2003 03:42 PM

If you'd like French pastries you should try Payard Bistro (eat in or take out) on Lexington & 73rd st. Really great!

Esme Dec 13th, 2003 05:34 AM

I am positively drooling! Do you know if you get done for excess baggage when you travel out at 10 stone and come back at 13 stone????? Coming over in April with Gytha (above) and can see we will be eating bagels and Russian coffee cake, cup cakes and such for the whole time!

squeaky88th Dec 14th, 2003 09:56 AM

Amy's Bread. Best cinnamon bun... Ever

The Little Pie Shop/Company (they deliver).

Payard is awesome, but most of their pastries don't travel well.

If you're in Chinatown, take a chance on Chinese pastries. Delicious and cheap.

Same goes for Indian pastries. The good pastry shops are probably in Queens though. The only ones I know of in Manhattan are in lower midtown.