Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bailey Island, ME (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bailey-island-me-721670/)

marsham Jul 17th, 2007 02:59 PM

Bailey Island, ME

We're staying at the Bailey Island Motel on Bailey Island for two nights later this week. Has anyone stayed there or know of it?

Either on the island or in the neighborhood, can someone please recommend a restaurant or two? We want lobster and nothing but. I'd like to try a lobster pound if there is one available in the area. Also, is there a place to rent bikes on the island?

Thanks so much,

Marsha

CAPH52 Jul 17th, 2007 03:18 PM

I'm not going to be much help to you. But reading your thread title brought back fond memories for me! My husband and I spent a week there way back in 1980. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then. What hasn't? ;) But we really enjoyed it.

The scenery was beautiful. It was crowded on the weekend but lovely and peaceful during the week. And we ate lots of lobster! There were lots of restaurants either right on the island or very nearby.

If you have time, would you please post when you come back and let us know how it was? I'd love to know if it's still as enjoyable a place as it was then.

dfrostnh Jul 18th, 2007 01:38 AM

Last summer we ate at Estes. It's a casual restaurant with picnic tables at the water's edge. Lots of items on the menu. We had lobster rolls but the people at the next table were eating a twin lobster special. It's a nice area to explore but because of distances you might not want to bike. If you are in Brunswick on Friday morning, stop at the farmers market. Great variety of things. Estes is casual but not what people think of as a lobster pound where usually there's not much available besides lobster. (Typically, maybe a bag of chips or a roll but that's all lobster lovers want.)

Ackislander Jul 18th, 2007 04:43 AM

Boy, are you in luck!

First, congratulations on going to Bailey Island. Just don't tell your friends or they might spoil it.

Second, Cook's Lobster House, knotty pine and all, overlooks the crib bridge that leads to Bailey Island, and there are at least two other places to get lobster. Many places that sell lobsters will cook one up for you right there, so you don't have to go to a restaurant.

Check out Mackerel Cove, Cundy's Harbor, and the very pleasant small city of Brunswick, all very close. South Harpswell is on a parallel peninsula and worth a visit.

I envy you, and I live on Nantucket!

je Jul 23rd, 2007 08:08 PM

There is a restaurant close by to the motel that the motel owner told us was good. We went to Cook's instead and enjoyed it very much.

RetiredVermonter Jul 30th, 2007 01:45 PM

We're going to be staying in Harpswell this coming weekend. Know a good place to get lobsters?

RetiredVermonter Jul 30th, 2007 01:47 PM

Ackislander:

"Check out Mackerel Cove, Cundy's Harbor, and the very pleasant small city of Brunswick, all very close. South Harpswell is on a parallel peninsula and worth a visit."

Any special things you think we should see or do?

RetiredVermonter Jul 30th, 2007 01:47 PM

marsham:

How was it? Did you enjoy your visit?

We're headed to Harpswell this next week.

RetiredVermonter Aug 28th, 2007 06:18 AM

We ate at both Estes and Cook's a couple of weeks ago while we were in the area on an anniversary trip. I would skip Cook's and enjoy Estes -- just my opinion.

For our money, Cook's was overpriced with mediocre quality food. Estes may not have been as "fancy" but the prices were better and so was the food!

RetiredVermonter Aug 28th, 2007 06:21 AM

By the way, I would also recommend Mackerel Cove, Cundy's Harbor! We stayed near there in a cottage right on the water. They had good prices and good food, but without much atmosphere.

A lobster with fries and cole slaw as $13.95 when we were there, and the fried clams were just $8.95, as I recall. They were WHOLE BELLIES, too, with fries and slaw, which I think is a pretty good deal at that price!

joesorce Aug 28th, 2007 06:39 AM

Great food at the Dolphin, located right at the Marina in Harpswell.
Cook's & Estes will hit the spot, too!

Kwoo Aug 28th, 2007 10:14 AM

We have eaten at both Cooks & Estes Lobster House in Harpswell, & we prefer Estes. Had lobster at Estes this past Sunday & had the twin lobster special. Love sitting right by the water. Food is delicious & reasonable. I think there is another Estes as well, but we prefer the one in Harpswell. We also like the Dolphin Marina but I believe they are only open for lunch, not dinner.

Other dining suggestions: Sea Dog Brewery in Topsham & Wild Oats Bakery for soup & sandwich in the Tontine Mall in Brunswick.

yestravel Aug 28th, 2007 10:52 AM

Recommend Holbrooks in Cundy Point. We were headed to Morse's in Harpswell and happen to stop at a wine store where we found out Morse is not open this year. Instead they are operating Holbrooks. Last year we had lobster at Cooks and it was okay. Holborooks was much better and a nicer atmosphere. Last year while exploring Bailey's island we also czme across a few trailers with wonderful lobster rolls. Didnt see any this year though.

tbelgian Aug 28th, 2007 04:11 PM

Huh, I don't usually think of Harpswell or Bailey Island a destination area. Cooks went over the edge when they were in some credit card ad. Their prices and quality went in opposite directions; prices up and quality down. Este's is overpriced for their no drinks, and cardboard dinner wear srevice. I think that Portland or Acadia is a much more attractive destination. There isn't any place to rent bikes, but you can rent kayaks locally. It really isn't the safest place to bike anyway. Two nights might not be too bad. Have fun!

RetiredVermonter Aug 29th, 2007 02:57 AM

kwoo:

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. We just wish we could go back again next month!

We loved our anniversary week in that area and the "senior" lunch rate was nice at Estes', too.

And, yes, Holbrooks' was very good, too. Just watch their prices. We ordered at one price and had to dispute the bill when it came because they had "somehow" upped the price beyond the printed menu!