Bad Legs in Washington, D.C.

Mar 16th, 1999, 06:54 AM
Bob

Bad Legs in Washington, D.C.

We are going to make our first visit to D.C. in May. Really looking forward to it, except that I can't stand too long on my feet and legs. Do any of you have suggestions on tours, etc. that would be better for me. Are there places that I should avoid? I am not in a wheelchair nor do I use a walker, etc. Can I rent motorised wheelchairs any places?? Would appreciate your help. Thanks, Bob

Mar 16th, 1999, 08:24 AM
ilisa

It is possible to rent wheelchairs at the museums (don't know if they are motorised). I am a docent at Air and Space, and know wheelchairs are rented near the Langley Theater inside the museum. Another option may be to take a Tourmobile or trolley tour around the city. These tours allow you to get on and off as you please. You will see the city without having to walk, and can determine on your own where you want to get off and what you want to see more in depth. The tourmobile also gives a tour around Arlington Cemetary. Are you planning to take a White House tour? If so, be advised that on that tour, guests are required to walk up a flight of steps from the lower level to the first floor. I know people in wheelchairs or walkers can use the elevators. I will try to find out the exact policy for you from some of the officers that work there. If you told me your interests, I may be able to help you determine what you should avoid, though frankly, you should be able to see just about everything.

Mar 16th, 1999, 08:34 AM
ilisa

Ok, it's me again. If you are interested in a White House tour, I have some information for you. You can get a wheelchair there. Upon arrival, notify the officer at the gate. Wheelchair loans are on a first come, first served basis; no advance reservations can be made. Visitors in wheelchairs and other mobility disabiliites are admitted without waiting in line and without tickets. Tours are given between 10am and 12 noon. Basically, you go to the head of the line and explain your situation. I recommend getting there early (9:30 or so). I hope this information helps.

Mar 16th, 1999, 11:06 AM
Bill Irving

I have used the tourmobile a number of times. It is an excellent way to get around, especially to Arlington Cemetary. But I have had problems with it, a couple times, when trying to get back on the tram at the Jefferson museum. Later in the day, very few tourist get off the tram at the Jefferson memorial, so there are very few seats available for people wanting to get on. & the wait to get on could be 30 - 60 minutes. But I have found that if you go to the Jefferson Memorial early in the morning, there is no problem getting back on the tram. Also, if you have leg problems, you do not want to push your vist to try & catch the last tram of the day. As a number of people do that, & if you don't get on that last tram, you could have some problems. But otherwise the tram works fine.

Search this Thread