Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wine Country Tour..your personal opinion requested

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 10:22 AM
Jude

I am visiting San Francisco next week and would like to take a one day trip to the wine country. I've heard of something Pacific Tours, and a fellow named Gary who does more of a custom tour. There are three of us and we wanted a smaller tour and to eat lunch at one of the nice restaurants. I would very much appreciate your suggestions and details, favorite vineyards, good restaurant -- we're splurging so money is not that much of a consideration). Thanks for any and all help. Jude

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 03:55 PM
Monica Richards

Unless you are opposed to getting a car, I think the best bet is driving yourself. It's really easy to get around, and you can stop at wineries on a whim--I've found the best wines that way.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 04:01 PM
Susan

This is coming from someone who really doesn't like wine much, so please don't bombast me with the merits (or lack thereof) of the wines offered at the following wineries.

My favorite stop was the V. Sattui winery, which really does have good wines, according to those who DO like it. Its selling point for me was its extensive deli, at which you can purchase evrything you need for a picnic lunch. Another one I recommend strictly for its view is Sterling, which sits on top of a hill and is reached by tram. The only winery we took the offered tour of was Beringer, and we felt it was a good choice.

I agree with the suggestion to rent your own car. Enjoy!

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 04:38 PM
Rob

If money is no object, suggest renting a limo (drinking & driving don't mix). It's a great way to go, especially if you only have one day. Its tough designating a driver when there is so much great wine to drink. Also, suggest going mid-week when the area isn't as crowded.

The following wineries I found cordial, tasty and informative on my last trip:
Clos du Val
Groth
Silver Oak
Whitehall Lane
Beaulieu Vineyards (BV)
Franciscan
St. Clement
Merryvale
Freemark Abbey

Enjoy - you'll have great time. Try Brava Terrace for eats, too.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 05:21 PM
Jude

Thank you, Rob, Susan and Monica, for responding to my post. Great suggestions and, Rob, I'm taking your advice and renting a car and driver....wouldn't want to go all the way to the wine country and not enjoy the grapes. Thanks, again.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 06:36 PM
sandra engley

Concerning private tours, in the lobby of many of the hotels you will find brochures of those that offer a minivan to take you to the most requested places. Since I was traveling alone, I took advantage of having someone who knew where they were going doing the driving. This was very relaxing for me, the van picks up and returns you to your hotel. I shared my day trip with two retired women picked up at one hotel, and a father/son combo picked up at another hotel. I recomend this for any one traveling alone, or prefers to have a native do the driving.