Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bad back, need soft mattress at hotels/motels, but where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A recent cross country trip staying a variety of hotels and motels completely destroyed my back- WHY? because of the terrible hard mattresses found at most motels and hotels today!

Is there any hotel/motel chains, other than Westin, that traditionally have soft comfortable mattresses? If so, please tell me where!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:34 PM
OliveOyl

(It's him again ) Lets see...cheap drapes, lights shining in the rooms, barking dogs, desk clerks with an attitude from h*ll, and now hard mattresses.

Actually, one of my family members has a terrible back and when it's really acting up...he gets relief sleeping on the floor!

Try again.

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:49 PM

Hmmm�. Bad mattresses�.. What to do��

This Hispanic from Falls Church who wears shorts this time of year in Orlando is on his way to the brown hills of Central California (due to a 5-year drought). I have left D.C. as everyone is so rude to me and won�t talk to me or other strangers, so I am going to San Francisco with a layover at JFK where I will just sit back, sleep, and watch T.V. {I know � it�s a strange layover going from Central California, then JFK, and then San Francisco.} Will I be out of place in shorts this time of year in Northern California; or if I were to refer to San Francisco as Central California maybe people won�t notice? I heard the mattresses were best in southern California� I just don�t know what to do!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:27 PM

Bunch, Have you ever been on a trip, anywhere at all, that you actually enjoyed yourself and found nothing to complain about?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:29 PM

SLEEP ON YOUR STOMACH. TELL ME, DID THE MOTELS WITH THE WORST MATTRESS CHARGE BY THE HOUR OR DOES ONE SIMPLY LEAVE THE KEY ON THE DRESSER WHEN READY TO CHECK OUT?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:34 PM

I would think that "most" depends upon the chains. These days, recently, we have been more than pleasantly surprised with the comfort of beds and bed linens everywhere we've stayed. For example, a few weeks ago, we stayed at a Holiday Inn (via Hotwire) just outside Baltimore and were astonished at the quality of the bed/linens. We've always had pleasant experiences with the beds at any Fairfield, Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton, Meridien...