Back to Kauai or new to Oahu?

Jul 7th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Back to Kauai or new to Oahu?

Hey folks

we've been lucky enough to visit Hawaii twice, once to Maui (on work’s tab we stayed at the Grand Wailea) and once to Kauai (DIY’d it, got an amazing air BnB right on the beach a 5min drive from Waimea)

we’d like to take my parents to Hawaii next April for their anniversary and while we loved everything about our stay in Kauai, I just wonder if we ought to use the opportunity to visit another island. Not at all interested in Honolulu but wondered if anyone could give us realistic expectations of the north shore - how busy does it get? We’d have to go during California’s spring break so I know it will be busy everywhere. I’d like them to get a sense of Hawaii proper, relax on some beautiful beaches, be able to see the amazing landscapes (my mum sadly can’t really hike)....i’m Tempted to go back to Kauai but always looking to try new places!
Jul 8th, 2019, 06:41 PM

Since you stayed in Waimea on Kauai the last time, it would be a very different experience if you were to return and stay on the North Shore.
I like staying in Waimea (at Waimea Plantation Cottages) for a couple of days when I'm hiking in the canyon. But I've never known anyone who stayed in that area as their Kauai base.
Jul 9th, 2019, 06:14 AM

I think they are asking about staying on the North Shore on Oahu, Songdoc.

I love Oahu but if you aren't at all interested in anything about Honolulu, I probably wouldn't choose that island. Because you know Kauai and are taking newbies, I'd be tempted to stick with an island you are familiar with myself. Just so you are less stressed in showing them around and figuring out what to do. Or Maui. There's loads to see and do on Oahu but if Honolulu is not a part of it, not sure that would be my pick.
Jul 10th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses! Loved the north shore of Kauai too but we’re happy doing it as a day trip, if we went to Kauai we’d prob just book the same Air BnB we did before as it was practically perfect in every way!

maui however we only really saw Wailea and few of the beaches further up the coast - it was a work trip, so we didn’t do Hana or anywhere on the north shore
Jul 10th, 2019, 09:43 AM

Haleakala was the most spectacular thing I saw on Maui. We all get carsick and didn't try the Road to Hana. We also all really enjoyed the Old Lahaina Luau (it was an anniversary celebration trip for my parents). I liked walking around Lahaina.
Jul 10th, 2019, 12:37 PM

I like the West Shore, but there is not much there in the way of restaurants and shops. I would try the North Shore instead, maybe a nice condo in Princeville.
Jul 10th, 2019, 05:57 PM

I would second a condo on Kauai’s north shore as opposed to Waimea. Just more to do, lovely beaches, nice restaurants. We split our time between Princeville and Poipu this winter.
Jul 10th, 2019, 06:48 PM

I knew the OP meant staying on Oahu's N. Shore. My recommendation was Kauai's North Shore instead -- as they had stayed West on Kauai last time.

It's great that you loved your lodgings, but it sure is inconvenient and very few people choose to stay near Waimea. But if you loved it ...