Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Back from Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/back-from-hawaii-292099/)

Doug Feb 24th, 2003 03:59 PM

Back from Hawaii

Just returned from 5 days on Maui (Four Seasons) and 6 on Kauai (Princeville). If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask....am more than happy to try and help.

Rusty Feb 24th, 2003 04:15 PM

Which island did you prefer and why ?

Doug Feb 24th, 2003 05:00 PM

My wife and I (honeymoon) both liked Kauai better. Not that we didn't like Maui (Road to Hana was great, snorkeling at Fishbowl was fun, sunrise at Haleakala was gorgeous), we just fell in love with Kauai and the Princeville. The north side of the island is just so beautiful and lush. We did a couple of great hikes, snorkeled in 3 great spots, and I'll never forget the helicopter ride we took.

Alohamom Feb 25th, 2003 04:01 AM

Doug, where is Fishbowl? Was the snorkeling good there? I have been to a few of the major spots-Blackrock, Makena, Kamaole, Wailea in Maui to snorkel but I am always looking for something new! Thanks in advance...

Doug Feb 25th, 2003 04:08 AM

Hey alohamom,<BR><BR>The Fishbowl is just north of La Perouse Bay....you may have been there already and just not realized it. You have to hike about 30 minutes thru a lava field to get there...but worth it as the snorkeling was terrific (the scenery on hike was pretty awesome too). If you do go, I would recommend going early (before 8 A.M.) as it gets crowded with kayakers as the morning moves on.

olivia Feb 25th, 2003 05:02 AM

We fly out in the morning for Oahu. We're staying in the north shore. What do you recommend to do in the evening, since the north shore isn't very developed (which is a good thing, but what to do for fun after 8?) Thanks for your help.

heathersteve Feb 25th, 2003 06:14 AM

Doug,<BR><BR>While you were on Kauai did you visit the Hyatt? My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and can't decide on the Princeville or the Hyatt. We've heard wonderful things about both.<BR><BR>Is it true that the rooms at the Princeville don't have lanai's? and how is the beach at the Princeville?<BR><BR>BTW - we're staying at the Four Seasons Maui. It looks incredible!<BR><BR>Thanks!

Doug Feb 25th, 2003 06:50 AM

Hey Heathersteve,<BR><BR>We only visited the Hyatt briefly even though we spent the better part of 3 days on the South/West part of the island. We just found it crowded and more &quot;kid-friendly&quot; than the Princeville....now nothing against kids, but on our honeymoon we were looking for a more adult feel, which we definitely got at the Princeville. And the Princeville was basically empty when we were there (a plus in my mind).... that probably had a lot to do with the time of year, as people tend to stay away from the northern part of island during winter months. When are you going?<BR><BR>We had an oceanfront room on the 6th floor and it didn't have a lanai.... only a slight negative in my mind as all I need to do was open my windows to see the spectacular NaPali Coast.<BR><BR>We found the beach at the Princville great and the snorkeling towards the left side was fanastic....but one caveat in that my wife and I are not beach lovers and that is not really something we looked into greatly when choosing a hotel. You guys may be different.<BR><BR>And, great choice with the 4S....it was terrific. Everything about it was first-rate.<BR><BR>Hope this helps....if you want to pick my brain about anything else, please feel free.

Sarah Feb 25th, 2003 07:26 AM

Hi Heathersteve Hyatt or Princeville is an on going debate on this forum. I suggest you do an archive search. What I have always seen people boil it down to is the time of year you are going. Winter months Poipu side is more hospitable in terms of sunny skys, Summer I don't know many who would refuse a stay on the North Shore at the Princeville. You don't want to have to drive to Shangrala you want to wake up there. That is my opinion any way. Do a search, good luck.

heathersteve Feb 25th, 2003 08:18 AM

Hi, thank you al for your feedback. Our honeymoon will be mid October. I will certainly conduct a search for Hyatt vs. Princeville for additional advice. To answer one question asked, my fiance and I love the beach hence we're leaning toward Princeville.<BR><BR>For those of you who have been to the Hyatt, I hear the rooms are nothing special and in fact, dark. Is this true?<BR><BR>Thanks again!

Sarah Feb 25th, 2003 08:47 AM

I have been to both places I like Princeville for it's proximity to the North Shore &amp; veiw and Hyatt for its all around facility.<BR><BR>People might complain about the rooms at the Hyatt but the paths, grounds, entertainment well make up for it in my mind. I also like walking out of my room straight to beach no elevators or hikes down to the beach.<BR><BR>I have been at both when the hotel was at full capacity both had room to spare around the pool and in the lobby. Not always the case at many hotels when they are at full capacity.

May Feb 25th, 2003 11:26 AM

I'll take you up on the offer, Doug, and, congratulations on your marriage! We will spend four nights at the Princeville in May for our honeymoon (with an additional 6 at 4SBI).<BR>Where was the helicopter ride you took? NaPali, Waimea, or both? We are undecided if we will sail or fly NaPali coast.<BR>Also, were you @ Princeville for a Thursday? They have a luau at night I was curious about. Thanks and happy to hear you had a wonderful time, looking forward to our stay.

Doug Feb 25th, 2003 11:51 AM

May,<BR><BR>Thanks and congrats to you on your upcoming nuptials. We took the 2 hour excursion with InterIsland....about 1 hour in the air covering basically the whole island, and 1 hour stop at a private waterfall for lunch. It was one of the highlights of the trip. InterIsland has no doors on its copters which, besides providing a thrill of a ride, aides in getting great pictures. I would highly recommend them!<BR><BR>Unfortuntely, I can't vouch for the sail up the NaPali Coast....they don't run during the winter months due to high surf. You'll probably be fine in May though. I would have done both if I could as the boat trip is supposed to be terrific as well.<BR><BR>Was there last Thursday but didn't go to the luau....was on the South side of the island that day for dinner. Did hear the show from our room when we got back, though.<BR><BR>F.Y.I. I have read that Smith's Tropical Paradise in Wailua is probably the best luau on the island.

JaneyG Feb 25th, 2003 12:03 PM

One option regarding the Princeville vs. Hyatt is to stay at both. Let you be the judge. <BR><BR>Also the Hyatt is doing a room refurbishing which should help with the decor.

Sarah Feb 25th, 2003 12:18 PM

May I think if you don't want to budge the luau at Princeville is ok but I always skip. I have been going every year for the past 6-7 years. I have walked by it. It is a number for long tables and buffet style food with a portable stage with entertainment. I suppose if you are not getting back any time soon you might want to do this but I have always heard much higher praise for the Friday night seafood buffet at Princeville or dinner with a view of Makan Point (Balihi). I know it is tempting to go to a luau but once you get there you find out it is more of show appealing to these 1970 images of Hawaii, many incorporate dances from Tahiti and Tonga and don't even distingush for you.<BR><BR>If you really want to see authentic hula than seek out a performance before you go by checking out Hawaii visitors bureau. Usually it won't be something designed for tourist but for locals.Might be a competition or performance put on in the community. Princeville use to have 3pm hula in the lounge that was very authentic with a chanter. Maybe they still have these performances. Hyatt has Keiki (child)hula on Friday nights. <BR><BR>Best Luau on any island is on Maui, Old Lahaina Luau, everything else pales from what I have read.<BR><BR>I am guessing Doug's guide book is &quot;Kauai Ultimate Guide&quot;, same book says something to the effect that for the most part the Luaus on Kauai are not that special but if you must go then they mention smiths. Unless the issues have been altered from my 2000 copy.

Sarah Feb 25th, 2003 12:23 PM

DOUG DID YOU HIT ANY RAIN? Always wanted to go to Kauai in Winter to see how wild that North Shore gets. See any Albatrose out at the light house, tis the season!<BR><BR>Did you go to the light house?

Doug Feb 25th, 2003 01:16 PM

Sarah,<BR><BR>Only a couple of 10-15 minute spritzes (sp?). Not even enough to be annoying. I was very nervous about staying at the Princeville in Feb. (last thing I needed was to have my honeymoon washed out), but I'm thrilled about our decision. It was empty (guess a lot of people heeded the winter/avoid the North theory) and really beautiful up there....wouldn't stay anyplace else now.<BR><BR>Surf wasn't too bad either....went snorkeling twice up on the North end. The one thing we couldn't do, of course, was the NaPali Coast by boat....they don't put them out at all during the winter.<BR><BR>Did go to the lighthouse but didn't see any albatross. Did see quite a few whales, though, the other frequent winter visitor.

Sarah Feb 25th, 2003 03:23 PM

sounds great I am glad you made that light house tour. Some gorgeous views only available on that tour they offer. I just did the tour after my 7 or 8th trip over. <BR><BR>Wow I am surprise you could snorkel up there in the winter. Must have been sooo magical to see whales off that coastline. UGHHH!!! Got to get there in winter some time.<BR><BR>Napali boat rides?... will probably get slammed for saying this, no major lost certainly if you are the least bit queasy, it is a bit rough even in summer. I did it once and I was glad I did but it reminded me of other boat trips elsewhere. Of course no place is the same and the Napali coast is magnificent in its own right. We just had to all focus on not getting sick, marine life was poor that day. I much prefer a hike on the Kalalau trail to Hanakape beach.<BR><BR>So Doug Yah going back now that you have sampled paradise? <BR>

Doug Feb 25th, 2003 06:05 PM

Yea, Sarah, definitely looking forward to going back some day. Felt like we did a lot but also felt like there's so much more to do and see. Have any future plans to go yourself?

Sarah Feb 26th, 2003 04:15 AM

I will be on Oahu in the next few months but I am not sure about Kauai this year. I have not been to maui or the big island in about 6 years I have to get to that volcano before she stops flowing. I live through folks like yourself until I return.<BR><BR>Congratulations on your new life. I think you had a pretty terrific beginning!<BR>