Trip Cancellation / Interruption Insurance

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Cancellation / Interruption Insurance

In the past I have bought trip cancellation / interruption insurance believing that I was covered in the event that I missed a connecting flight due to bad weather or mechanical problems.

I have just read the fine print in the policy and I have discovered that this is not covered. Does anyone have any experience with or advice on travel insurance?
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:44 AM
GoTravel

The last travel insurance I bought was a policy by Travel Impressions. I could cancel up to 2 hours before the flight for any reason and get a full refund minus the amount of my policy.

Don't know if this helps you.

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:53 AM

The coverages vary.A lot of times the only covered reason is medical.If I'm buying a package and I want their insurance,I ask what are the covered reasons.Its worth it to me if the insurance covers any reason and I have up until date of departure to cancel.I have a neighbor who bought a package and insurance thru LMT vacations to PDC.They had to cancel and although it was for medical reasons and that was covered, she is still agaonizing over getting her money back--trip was to have been December.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Just remember one thing about insurance (of all types). Rates are set up so that the company is virtually assured of collecting more in premiums than it pays out in claims.
That means that the vast majority of people who buy the insurance end up spending more on the insurance than they recoup in claims.
Especially true for travel insurance.
Travel insurance is most justifiable when the cost of the trip is large and potential for problems is more than trivial. For example, $8000 trip to northern Caribbean during hurricane season, etc.
For every person who tells you they collected on their policy and they're thrilled, there are 15 people who simply pay the premium and never collect a dime. But the latter won't be crowing about it.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Travelis Of course they don't crow over it. Insurance is a roll of the dice. If you paid the premium and you didn't have to collect, most of the time it is because something bad didn't happen. If it gives you piece of mind buy the policy!!