Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bacara Hotel and Spa, Santa Barbara...anyone stay recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:04 AM
Kim

Barcara is getting a lot of positive attention these days. It looks absoltely divine. We are considering it for a much needed "romantic" weekend getaway. We are primarily interested in the hotel and what it has to offer rather what Santa Barqbara has to offer.
I understand it is a large property and offers many room types. What room did you have and how is the spa?
Would like to heaar from anyone who has actually stayed there.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 07:14 AM
Mel

The only recent posts on this topic were from angry guests who thought the staff was rude and that maybe the hotel was suffering from difficult financial circumstances.
The timing for this place was not good. It was constructed during the peak of the economic expansion which ended 3/2000, and opened during the meltdown.
Also, it's a very large hotel for an area like SB. The only way it'll stay afloat is via convention business, which tends to ruin the atmosphere they seek to provide at Bacara.
I see bankruptcy and resale on the horizon.
Which has nothing to do with whether you can enjoy a getaway weekend in your room there right now. But that's the recent buzz.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:23 AM
xxx

I've seen nothing but negative reviews on this resort. The media points out the expensive rates and the fact that only a few of the most pricey suites have a good view.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:22 PM
kam

I haven't heard great things either. You could look at El Encanto in Santa Barbara, the San Ysidro Inn in Montecito, or the Wine Country Inn in Los Olivos. Any of those three are an almost guaranteed wonderful romantic weekend. You have to wonderful who is making wonderful comments about Barcara that we're not hearing here in California!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:58 PM
lagirl

The Four Seasons Biltmore in Montecito would be great place for a "romantic" weekend getaway. IMHO, it is more beautiful/romantic than Bacara and I think, amazingly enough, it may be less money to stay there.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:46 PM
Brad

You know "lagirl", the only time I stayed at the FS Santa Barbara I was amazed it was actually a FS. I realize it's a conversion (mostly) of an older historic group of buildings, but honestly, this place was not much nicer than a well done Holiday Inn. Cheap looking southwest mission furnishings. Very little padding under the carpeting, over the uneven cement floor, no views of any type (maybe a couple second story rooms at the front have views, but not the other 95% of the rooms). We had a very nice dinner there, and SB is a great getaway.
But the FS SB is easily the least likeable of the dozen or more FS properties I've stayed at.
The San Ysidro Ranch is a hands down superior choice for a couples' weekend (assuming you get a good room there).

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 06:08 PM
gay w,

My husband and I have stayed at the Four Seasons Biltmore 4 times now in the past 5 years....we have also visited La Bacara, last May, 2001. We did not stay, but noticed there was definately a "convention" hotel feel as the staff was setting up all around the pool for a big "group function"... i realized immediately that this resort was going to have to rely on large groups to help fill the rooms ...also, it is in Goleta I believe, not really in Santa Barbara or Montecito...so if you want to do anything in SB..you have to drive a bit. The resort is beautiful, the spa looked to be top of the line..the beach is not that great..not for swimming. The pools were sexy. You could probably have a romantic time there, depending on lots of variables; if a big convention was there..if service was personal and 5-star...etc. We still will ALWAYS prefer the Biltmore Fours Seasons...yes, it is older, but we always stay in a "cottage" with a fireplace and patio..love the 5-star service and restaurants..they have a new spa and pool..and we love to get up and take an hour walk along Butterfly Beach and in the nearby neighborhood of gorgeous homes and grounds. The flowers are astouonding...the beach incredible...and you're in walking/1 minute driving distance from MOntecito restaurants, shopping, etc. We stay at Four Seasons everywhere we go..this one is outstanding, in that there is history in the property...just try to get a special room..we have never stayed in the "hotel part"..we have always stayed in a private cottage bungalow..the grounds are to die for too.
To each his own...we like the "whole package": the grounds, location on the beach, location near restaurants, walking around neighborhood, its restaurants, service, romantic bar w/entertainment..we feel like we're going home each time we go.
We are in our 40's...and also love all other Four Seasons as well.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:42 AM
Kim

Thank you for the information.
We too, love Four Seasons. Usually you can always count on top rate service and amenities.
If you ever have a chance, check out the one located in the Dallas, Texas area. The pool and golf villas are to die for. It's a true resort with an awesome pool and great spa services.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:39 PM
meg

The San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito is exquisite! I worked there a number of years ago, and after checking their web site, I see that it apparently still oozes charm. The ranch has an interesting history dating back to the 1700s when it was a way station for Franciscan monks. The property covers over 500 acres and has views of the Pacific and Channel Islands. The rooms are all part of private cottages, with outdoor terraces, fireplaces or woodburning stoves, the finest linens, etc. A number of the rooms have spas and hot tubs.There are spa services. They use to offer horseback riding through the Santa Ynez mountains. What I loved the most were the lovely, extensive gardens-- many weddings are held there. (Vivian Leigh and Laurence Olivier were married there, John F. and Jackie Kennedy stayed there for their honeymoon) Many celebrities liked the place because of the privacy it offered. Be prepared to spend $$$... the rooms start at $395 (very "cozy" but small) and go up to $4100 a night for its luxurious 2,200 ft Eucalyptus cottage. See lots of photos on the website: sanysidroranch.com

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:18 PM
Sandy

Kim,
My sister and I recently checked out Bacara, and while it is exquisite, the staff was really abrasive and condesending, (not just to us). We encountered this in the spa, the front desk and the concierge. I would never recommend staying somewhere that expensive with appalling service. The Four Seasons is nice and has a gracious staff. San Ysidro Ranch is a favorite of visiting celebrities and very nice and private. I would definitely recommend one of these properties over Bacara.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:43 PM
ttt

topping

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 06:42 PM
kam

I agree with everything above. Based on recommendation of friends who have a house in Montecito, this is not the place to stay in Santa Barbara. You might even consider the Ojai Valley CC in nearby Ojai rather than Bacara.