Babymoon suggestions from NYC

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Babymoon suggestions from NYC

Hello! I'm interested in suggestions for a quick "babymoon" getaway from NYC over Labor Day Weekend. This is going to be a bit vague, as we're very much open to suggestions. We have a 4-day weekend to work with, and I'll be about 8 months pregnant at the time (still OK to travel then, but will want to take it slow).

We're on a definite budget, but would really like a chance to just spend a few days away together before the baby comes. Ideally, we'd like to keep it to under $500 for lodging and travel; food and activities can be extra. We're definitely on the lookout for last-minute travel deals.

We have a car, but would also be open to quick flights. In general, I'd like to avoid going south, as we spend a good deal of time on 1-95 visiting family! We have discussed Maine, Montreal, Vermont, but again, totally open to suggestions.

We don't have a specific type of trip in mind, but we'd probably want to avoid another big city (i.e. Boston or Philly). Active pursuits are out; no hiking or rafting or anything. Basically, would love a scenic area, perhaps with quaint towns to explore, good food, etc. or a really lovely -and affordable- B&B. Overall, just a relaxing spot.

Any suggestions? Again, we're really open, so let 'em fly! Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 08:13 PM

Newport RI, nice B&Bs, good food.
We went to Cape Cod for our "babymoon" many years ago.
Cape May, Long Beach Island, NJ or Spring Lake NJ.
Montauk, as you can see, we love the ocean!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:43 AM

$500 for lodging and travel for 3 nights/4 days on a holiday weekend will be a challenge. Most decent places will be at least $200/night that weekend so you're up to $600 before travel expenses and taxes. If you fly some place you have that much less for lodging. I was going to offer the Dering Harbor Inn on Shelter Island, but it will be at least $225/night. http://www.deringharborinn.net/home.html
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Mclaurie, I was afraid of that... if we go somewhere relatively close (2-3 hours) we might consider just 2 nights instead, to stay at a nicer place.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Don't know about your MD's advice but many airlines won't let women that are 8 months pregnant fly - too great a risk of having to make an unscheduled landing (some think the increased altitude can begin labor - and few are willing to risk it). So I would plan on car or train as a matter of practicality - as well as one of budget.

Also agree that rates that weekend will be high - can't think of anyplace decent off hand that would be less than $200 per night.

You might do better inland versus the beach that weekend. Have you looked at nayplace in the Hudson Valley? the Poconos? The Berkshires?
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM

First, let me say belatedly CONGRATULATIONS ! I really hate to rain on your parade, but for that holiday weekend, many places will require a 3 night stay. I don't know if you actually live in Manhattan, but have you considered a stay-cation? You can probably find some great hotel deals in Manhattan. I also did a simple websearch for specials for Labor Day and on Expedia, the only thing that wasn't a city like Boston in your price range was a place called Heldrich Hotel & Spa in New Brunswick, NJ. It gets good reviews on tripadvisor. That made me think of Princeton, NJ. Don't know if you can find a b & b there within budget. West Point, Hyde Park, Cold Spring are some other ideas.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the congratulations! NYTraveler, I'll be 32 weeks at that point, and the airline cut off is typically 34 weeks. I might travel with a doctor's note just in case.

Based on all of your advice, I have a feeling we'll need to stick with my original plan - anticipate a very last minute trip, either with a quick flight from Continental's weekend deals, or a Priceline hotel deal in the area.

I have found a few B&Bs under $200 a night in the Hudson Valley, which definitely look promising. There are a few affordable options in Maine as well. But, nothing I love enough to commit to in advance!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Try the "Hattie Pierce House" - (hattiepierce.com)a nice B and B about 15 minues away from Newport. Also, the Seaview Inn, just down the road is also very accessible to Newport without the high room cost. You would also be right near the lovely small town of Wickford, RI

Also , The King's Rose in South Kingstown, RI...another nice B and B

The Courtyard Marriott in Middletown, RI lists a rate of $159 for the Friday and Sat of Labor Day weekend
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM

The Hudson Valley area is indeed a good choice. Other than its attractions you are also very near Stockbridge, Great Barrington and other nice places in the Berkshires. Southern Vermont is also an easy day trip from there - we have done it many times. Look for lodging in towns like Chatham, Spencertown, New Lebanon - all good locations to visit both the valley and the Berkshires - you should be able to find something nice in your price range. Once out of the city, you have a few hour trip probably up the Taconic Parkway. The Parkway itself becomes quite scenic as you head north.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much! basingstoke, some of these towns look very promising indeed, and I've found quite a few in our price range. We're perfectly fine with the tiniest room at an inn anyway!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM

What about Niagara Falls? On Expedia, flight and hotel for 3 nights comes to a little over $500 and you can do things at your own pace there. Just a suggestion.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM

What exactly is a "babymoon"?
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM

I just looked up the term "babymoon" That term is so over the top obnoxious.

You should just say that you are going on a vacation!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Also, the Tanglewood Jazz Festival is held over the Labor day weekend. Tanglewood is near Stockbridge. You can google to see the schedule. Because of the festival though, you should make your reservations early and get tickets online sooner than later. You may also like the Shaker Village located between New Lebanon and Pittsfield.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:01 AM

janiekins - I must say that your above two posts provide no added value to what was a sincere post by the OP. Not to this post or to the other post where you made the same remarks.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Tarheels: We did our babymoon (don't really care what you think Janiekins!) in Maine when I was 7 months pregnant (though I carried big, so for all practical purposes, I was fully waddling already). Maine/New England or the Berkshires are good choices because it's a little cooler. We stayed in Ogunquit (about 5 hours from NYC if you head straight up 95), though I think Ogunquit itself is too expensive for your budget. Might check nearby towns though. I swam, went for walks, ate lobster rolls, ate blueberry pie, ate myself silly...you get the picture.

Far as flying, I would have another conversation with your doctor. Mine did not want me flying that late into the pregnancy.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! So many options to consider! I am definitely leaning toward the Berkshires at this point - I had forgotten the Jazz Festival was that weekend, which we love, and the drive is very easy.

But, I think we'll keep coming back to Maine as well, as we've never been. I think we'll need to make a decision a little closer, when I have a better sense of how I've been feeling. Either way, I know for sure I need to escape this HEAT!!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM

"What exactly is a "babymoon"?
janiekins on Jul 27, 09 at 09:27 PM
I just looked up the term "babymoon" That term is so over the top obnoxious."

HAHA. This has come up before on "babymoon" threads. So ridiculous, I agree. Makes ME want to do the BARFING
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone! Just wanted to update on our decision - we've decided to give Lancaster County, PA a try. Ultimately I determined that for my own comfort, a shorter drive than Maine was preferable. We do still love the Berkshires and Hudson Valley, but wanted to visit somewhere new.

We found plenty of affordable B&Bs, and it seems to be a nice mix of relaxation and activities. We're looking forward to it! Perhaps this thread will help others looking for NYC-area getaways.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Janiekins- have you spoken with a doctor about your memory problems?
Here you replied to a poster a month ago: <blue>

janiekins on Jul 27, 09 at 09:03 PM
What exactly is a "babymoon"? Never heard of it!

janiekins on Jul 27, 09 at 09:28 PM
I just looked up the term "babymoon".

It sounds so over the top obnoxious.

Just say you are going on a vacation!
*********************** </blue>

and one of two times back in December 2008: <blue>
janiekins on Dec 31, 08 at 05:26 PM
Maybe a pregnant person should just say they are taking a vacation.

The term babymoon sounds ridiculous!
************************************************* </blue>

You aren't going to eliminate this term. Why do you keep making posters (usually new ones, too) feel bad??