Fall Utah itinerary help

Search

Fall Utah itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall Utah itinerary help

Flying into Las Vegas the second week of October for 7 days. Have read that Zion has beautiful fall color. Can you suggest any other places to visit while there? Have been to Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. Enjoy sightseeing, easy hikes, and kayaking. Want to see as much beautiful landscape and wildlife as possible while there. Lodging suggestions are also greatly appreciated. Fodors Forums have helped us plan all of our recent vacations. You guys rock!
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM

Capitol Reef has good colors along the river. I am totally guessing but I think the second week of October is going to be to early for Zion and Cap Reef. I'm thinking more Bryce for higher elevations. I think the third week would be more for Zion and Capitol Reef. Again, varies by season, but I have been there twice on about the 20th and it has been at peak.

Timpanogs Cave, closer to Salt Lake is outstanding along the route to it and at the cave itself. I'm not sure what that canyon area is called though.

I hiked the Great Gallery/Horseshoe Canyon and it had nice colors in it that third week in Oct. It is in the detached section of Canyonlands, not far from Goblin Valley. The road to it is dirt and a bit rough.

I haven't hiked Calf Creek Falls in fall, but I suspect it would be outstanding.

Generally anywhere there is a river like Cap Reef, Zion, or Calf Creek Falls you have trees that are going to be nice.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:41 PM

kwick,

The colors aren't really happening in the canyon until towards the end of October. Aspens at higher altitudes normally peak the first week in Oct. The problem this year is the extreme fire situation. Our news reported tonight that 150,000 acres in Utah have burned this week, so who knows how the forests will be come October. It's very sad.

Still, Oct is a great time to visit Zion. The shuttle buses still run until the end of Oct. - that's a good thing! makes your visit much more enjoyable the helps maintain the serenity of the canyon.

With 7 days, you should also visit Bryce and perhaps drive Hwy 12 to Escalante and Capitol Reef, then back to LV.

Read some other threads and trip reports here.

Happy planning
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM

Get thee to Zion and then from there - travel further.

Loved Bryce and also Escalante/Capitol Reef, etc.

see: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mvgcsedona.cfm
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM

My wife tell me we were there between the 20th and 25th both(our anvs. is the 21st, so that is what I was going by) visits in the fall- so maybe more towards the last of the month- as Dayle says. Also as Dayle says, higher elevations first- so start out in Bryce or Cedar Breaks. I still think that even with the drought there should be good fall colors where there is a river. I did read someone's post that thought Calf Creek might be a trickle by the end of this year though.

You mentioned wildlife, there is some in Utah, but not nearly as much as other National Parks. Utah is a great place to visit, I never thought you could enjoy looking at rocks so much. I've been 5 years in a row now.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM

LOL Spiro. What else does your wife tell U?

And I saw a Bear flat out hauling arse on the way to Bryce - from Zion - and growin up camping/hunting in Oregon - never saw one in the wild. Also - Antelope at Bryce.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! It sure gives me a lot to consider. Tomsd, I really enjoyed your trip report. Can't wait to explore Utah!
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:06 AM

You've picked a great time to visit. The length of your visit makes it perfect for Route 12 Scenic Byway out and back. Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Boulder, Torrey (Capital Reef) and back to Zion for a night. Lots to see out that way. You can use our trip report for ideas.

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_tr

We used 9 days but you could do much of it in 7 days. I like this trip becuase none of the driving distances are great but you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:15 AM

Thanks Kwick: Hope you have as goodof a time as we did.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:20 AM

BTW - Peterboy: What a great trip report - with pics. Still making my way through it and have bookmarked it 4 sure.

Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM

This is not the year to count on ANY color. Just go for the gorgeous red rocks and awesome fall weather. Remember that the weekend of Oct 18 this year is fall break for Utah schools--so stay away from Zion and Bryce that weekend. Definitely take a look at other posts/trip reports for info on Bryce and Capitol Reef and Escalante (both those parks are higher altitude so could actually be chilly at the end of October).