Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Baby in Hawaii?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/baby-in-hawaii-671039/)

kimknight Jan 17th, 2007 05:48 AM

Baby in Hawaii??

Good Morning,

We are booked on christmas cruise in Hawaii for my parents 25th wedding anniversary. I just found out that I am pregnant. He/She will be 3 months old when we go. We have a few things booked that I am not sure we should take a baby. First, have you ever seen a baby at a luau? We have a really nice night luau planned and I am not sure if we should go.

Thanks,
Kimberley

jersey Jan 17th, 2007 05:56 AM

Listen, you can take a baby darn near anywhere. The thing is you have to put your needs behind that of your childs and the people around you. If your baby is with you at a luau and begins to cry, get up and go somewhere where you can attend to the babys needs. Sometimes just a bottle/nipple in the mouth will do it. Somethimes the kid is just cranky and needs to be soothed. Becoming a parent is like giving up some of yourself to your baby. And becoming sensitive to the needs of your child may also help you to become sensitive to the needs of the people around you.

Just my two cents.

Oh, and by the way, baby discussions can get a little heated around here so don't take anything too personally. Congratulations and good luck.

Mom of five.

kimknight Jan 17th, 2007 06:01 AM

I understand that I have to get up stuff to become a parent. This is why I am asking the question. If it is bad for the baby I wont do it. If I have to I will stay on the ship in my room 24/7.

MelissaHI Jan 17th, 2007 08:33 AM

You don't have to be extreme about it by staying in your room 24/7. Just use common sense....for example, don't take the baby on your paragliding or kayaking adventure. I don't think a luau is 'bad' for the baby...it will just depend on whether it does well during a stage show, crowds, etc.

kureiff Jan 17th, 2007 08:57 AM

A three-month old should travel really well (of course, every kid is different). But generally, a three month old is content to hang out, sleep, eat, etc. Kids are very portable at that age.

Have a good trip!

Ag3046 Jan 17th, 2007 09:10 AM

I don't think you can predict a 3 month-old's behavior in advance. I've certainly seen older infants at luaus, in strollers, but be prepared to get up and miss part of the show if the tyke wakes up and cries.

kamahinaohoku Jan 17th, 2007 10:44 AM

I'd be more concerned about the flights there and back. Where in the US are you flying from?
((S))((*))

msjames Jan 17th, 2007 01:06 PM

I agree with kamahinaohoku that the biggest hassle of a baby on this trip might be flying there. A luau is kind of a loud outdoor event anyway, so if you sit near the edge you can easily get out if the baby fusses. I wouldn't be booking any bike tours down Haleakala, plan for some beach down time. There should be plenty of places on the ship to go so you don't have to stay in your room.

carolyn Jan 18th, 2007 11:16 AM

Be very, very careful if you take Baby out in the sun. The sun in Hawaii will burn faster than you think.

pat Jan 18th, 2007 01:34 PM

I have never seen so many babies as I did in Honolulu! Seems like just about every one had one.

escargot Jan 18th, 2007 01:49 PM

You got great advice, esp from jersey ! yes, sometimes I wish my 21 and 24 yr old were still 3 months old - mostly so much easier then except for the fact I had to carry their luggage and gear then...

You will know what to do - but mostly for me it is the following: if the baby is fussing, don't ruin anyone else's night out and take the baby and go find a corner for yourselves and cuddle up -

If you know ahead of time she is fussing or having a tough day, you might have to miss something -

If the loud noise, music, etc seems to be bothering baby, you'll know to move her away (or him) -

much will come to you naturally, most is being tuned in to the baby's needs and respectful of those around you -

if she/he is anyhting like mine were, she will sleep through the luau...and a lot of other things :)

Have fun - the quicker they get used to traveling, the better for you - babies are usually fairly adaptable - congratulations and best of luck !

4khansen Jan 18th, 2007 03:44 PM

actually sounds like you might have some very happy built in babysitters with you too! Grandparents with newborns are especially attentive and a 3 month old is a great one to sit with on the beach, on the ship etc. and to show off to every old couple they see! I think you will have a great time.