Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   B30 bus from BWI to DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/b30-bus-from-bwi-to-dc-144556/)

kit Jan 1st, 2007 11:45 AM

B30 bus from BWI to DC

The BWI website says the following. Can someonw clarify and/or assist with a translation?

"BWI Express/Metro buses will serve two stops, one at the lower level International Pier and the other is the BWI Business District light rail station. Southbound buses will leave the BWI Business District stop, loop through the airport to the International Pier (lower level) and out Interstate-195 to the BWI Parkway to the Greenbelt Metro Station.

"Catch the BWI Express from BWI Airport. There are two WMATA Bus Stops. One is located on the lower level of the International Pier and the other stop is located on the lower level of Concourse A/B. The B30 will pick you up outside at the bus shelter. Follow the signs that say “Public Transit.”

Seems like these two paragraphs contradict each other. Are there two stops for the B30 at BWI or just the one at the international terminal?

I've read an hour's worth of posts and can't tell if a second stop was added or what the real situation is. The website further confused me.

Thanks in advance for your help. I don't mean to be thick; I realize I am probably missing something obvious.

Happy New Year, all!

Dukey Jan 1st, 2007 01:02 PM

I think that the B30 and the WMATA bus are two different busses.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jan 1st, 2007 03:11 PM

I take the B30 frequently. There are 2 stops at the airport terminal, the newer one outside the Southwest baggage area, and the older one outside the international.

There is also another airport stop, basically a parking area called the "Business District", which while on airport grounds is NOT at the terminal.

When you step outside the terminal building, there will be a couple of lanes of traffic, then a pedestrian "island", than another coupld lanes of traffic. You pick up the B30 on that pedestrian island. At Southwest baggage area, look for the bus shelter(s) way to your left as you step out. Similarly, you find a bus shelter outside the third from the last door (going towards the Light Rail) again on the pedestrian island for the other B30 pickup area.

The SW pickup area is only maybe a little more than a year in existence, maybe your source pre-dates it. Good luck; it's an excellent way to get to DC, and when you return by B30, get a transfer coupon from the dispensor at the station you board Metro at, and you'll save 85 cents on your return trip .

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jan 1st, 2007 03:13 PM

ps - it is a WMATA bus, I think the only WMATA, I think all the others (that also pick up there) are Maryland MTA buses.

kit Jan 1st, 2007 03:32 PM

Thank you, RB Traveler! Perfect. Outside the Southwest terminal. I shall wait there.

You should write the copy for the BWI website...

:) Cheers~

Kit