B&B's on Big Island/Kauai

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B's on Big Island/Kauai

We are planning a trip to the islands and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a nice B&B or Inn on the Big Island and Kauai? We stayed at the Plantation Inn two years ago on Maui and absolutely loved it....if anyone knows of anything similar on either of these islands please advise. thanks in advance
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:02 AM
JMM

We stayed at Macadamia Meadows, a B&B not far from South Point on the Big Island. We were very satisfied with the B&B - large room,friendly hosts,super breakfasts. The location is NOT near Kona (about 1 hour's drive) but very near The Black Sand Beach (where you can see the sea turtles feeding) and South Point and not too far from Volcano's national park (about 45 minutes). It is in a little town (only a couple of restaurants and no nightlife) BUT the location is lovely and very peaceful.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Try the Plantation House near Kona. 808-329-3727. Stayed there 3 yrs ago; very nice.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:47 PM

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Kauai. We stayed at the Old Koloa House B+B in the southern part of the island for the first two night we were there and loved it. It was really cute. They have pictures of their place on the web. We then did a bunch of camping for the next five nights and finally ended our trip in Hanalei with four nights at the Plantation Guest House which we also loved. If you stay there, request a top floor room. The breakfasts were delicious and you are really close to some great beaches. We liked the northern part of the island best (near Hanalei). It was less crowded and SO beautiful. Be sure to eat at Post Cards Cafe in Hanalei. It was some of the best food we'd ever eaten. We went back a few times because it was so good. Our favorite beach was Lumahai beach, just down the road from the Plantation Guest House. We were there in June so we were able to swim there (some parts of the year the surf is too rough). Anyway, I did all the planning for the trip via the internet so both B+Bs have sites with pictures.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:05 AM

I stayed at the Shipman House in Hilo. This is such a beautiful historic home, and the owners are very nice. We loved the breakfast they served each morning on the enormous wrap-around porch. We also stayed at another B&B closer to the volcano. I can't recall the exact name. However, once we checked in at Shipman House we realized we should have stayed there the entire time since it was not a very long drive to the volcano area, and we had better access to restaurants and other amenities in Hilo.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:34 AM

Almost 2 yrs. ago my husband and I went to Kauai and stayed at Gloria's Spouting Horn B&B. It is in Lihue and right on the water. There are only 3 rooms in the inn (1 on the first floor and 2 on the second). Gloria and her husband stay in the other room. Each room has a deck overlooking the ocean. She has a very small beach and a pool. You get a nice breakfast every morning.
It is right down the block from the Spouting Horn and the Botanical Gardens.