Notices

B and B's in San Diego

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B and B's in San Diego

Has anyone stayed at the Britt Scripps B and B or the Westgate in San Diego? I want to stay near Hillcrest or North Park areas so that I can walk to restaurants. Are there any hotels or other B and B's that you recommend?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM

I've heard good things about Cardiff B&B:
http://www.resideo.com/us/california...72804648.hotel

Haven't had the chance to stay...yet, but check it out!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM
TahitiTams

From what I recall, the Britt Scripps B&B is across from a huge construction site..(my dentist used to be there)and very pricey..
I would not want to stay in North Park..the Gaslamp area in downtown SD is quite nice with tons of great restaurants & hotels.
Hillcrest is the gay area of SD and its great to visit but there are no hotels/motels that I would recommend or stay at.

gaslamp.org

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
TahitiTams

I just noticed that you mentioned the Westgate Hotel..they have one of the best French restaurants in town, Le Fountainbleau Room..I have stayed across the street at the US Grant Hotel that is a 5* and I believe the Westgate is a 4* and you might find some great deals on Expedia or direct..
US Grant Hotel had deals as low as $229 a night which is a super deal!

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Hey Tahiti - I am headed down to San Diego on Tuesday with dh - we are going to stay at the Marriott Gaslamp, go to the Pardre game and dinner...

He is headed down this Sunday with dd to La Costa to see the woman's tennis going on - I heard they redid the resort - wish I was going with him!

Anyway - Laurie - Tams is on the money... I would not stay in Hillcrest or North Park - stay downtown...
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
TahitiTams

Hey Dawn..
We stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp for opening day for the Padres and we had a corner room on the 19th floor..
This is a great hotel and the rooftop bar is a blast! Make sure you get a room that doesn't have the TV almost on the floor..it's weird and they said they are in the process of getting flat screen tv's..
Make sure you get a room overlooking Petco Park up high..
Go Pads and have fun!

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks Tams! It was dh's fathers day gift!

We have a g/c so we will be dining at Flemings - which I have actually never eaten at - but it is close by.

I will call and request a room... weird on the tv on the floor!

I am actually an Angel fan (ducking!) but I LOVE Petco Park - what a fun stadium!!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 03:54 PM

lauriefrompa:

Hello. For reviews on the Britt Scripps Inn and Westgate www.tripadvisor.com

www.bandbguildsandiego.org for B&B's.

www.sandiego.org and click on where to stay and drop down to B&B's you'll find a few more. This is the official site for San Diego and if you haven't done so you may like to request a free visitor guide.

Do let us know where you end up staying and how it all worked out. San Diego what a treat you are in for.

Sandy
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insights. I guess Hillcrest is a nice place to go to for dinner, but there just aren't any great places to stay there. Now I am wondering where to stay downtown. I don't particularly want to pay for parking. I still would like to walk to most restaurants if possible. Thanks, TahitiTams for letting me know about the construction sight near Britt Scripps. The US Grant hotel is one that I'll look into. I haven't booked anything yet. Thanks also to thepeters, dawnnoelm, and SandyBrit for your insights and website information. I plan to study this in the next week and book our stay for December. I don't know if I'll get better deals if I wait or call directly. When I called the Britt Scripps before reading your replies to my original post, the person answering the phone attempted to charge $100 more than the internet offer. It was too expensive, and not worth it. In light of TahitiTam's commmnts, I wouldn't stay there anyway. I will check out any others that you recommend, in addition to the US Grant. I will give the Westgate another look as well. Any others to recommend? It doesn't have to be a B and B, but I thought it would be nice.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure where to post a trip report. It's been a long time since my trip in December of 2007, but we stayed at the Westgate, had dinner one night at their French restaurant (fabulous!), enjoyed afternoon tea also at the Westgate, ate at great restaurants downtown and in the Hillcrest area, visited the San Diego Wild Animal Park (we had been to the zoo last July), ate at the Studio Diner, and went to various sites in La Jolla, including the Scripps Aquarium. Thanks for all of your help.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM

lauriefrompa: Yes, it is lovely when someone posts back how it all worked out. Sounds like you had a great time. I love San Diego.

Why don't you tell us a little bit about where you ended up staying - it always helps others when someone reports back first hand.

Sandy
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

This visit was primarily to see my daughter, to relax, and to see some interesting sites and experience some great restaurants. The summer before while building desks, chairs, and beds in her new apartment, we decided to pamper ourselves and we stayed at the Lodge at Torrey Pines, home of the next U.S. Open. The room included several Tiffany lamps, the pool and cabanas were terrific, the room service breakfasts amazing, and the property impeccable. On this trip,we opted to stay downtown. We chose the Westgate Hotel in downtown San Diego after going on tripadvisor, reading comments on this forum, and checking the hotel's website. For one of our breakfasts, we ate at Le Grande Cafe, but had room service the other mornings. For a special dining experience, we dined at the French restaurant, Le Fountenbleau Room, on our last night. We sat at a table adjacent to the pianist, and it was a relaxing and delicious dinner the night before the long plane trip back east. Another day, we had afternoon tea at the Westgate, complete with champagne, tea sandwiches, pots of several varieties of tea, scones, candies, etc. next to a woman playing the harp only a few feet away. It was another relaxing experience which was a nice way to celebrate the holidays. One of our first nights, we walked to a delcious seafood restaurant, Osetra the Fish House: http://www.osetrafishhouse.com/ for a quiet and delicious meal. Another evening we drove to Hillcrest and went to a Thai restaurant. On our last full day, we hopped in the car and ate breakfast at Studio Diner before touring the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Some of our other random experiences include: driving to sites in La Jolla to see the seals covering the rocks along the water, going for sushi in La Jolla, experiencing the snake walk that leads to the library on UC San Diego's campus where Dr. Seuss manuscripts and books are kept (Theodore Geisel)and the contemporary building itself was used in a Star Wars movie, and going to Scripps Acquarium in La Jolla. On the UCSD campus, we enjoyed fish tacos at Rubios, which were so amazing. One morning I walked across the street from the Westgate to the Horton Plaza shopping center. I walked in another direction on another morning to get coffee. The weather in San Diego is to die for, even though I went in December. I can't wait to plan to visit my daughter again.